Book Haven discussion

News > J.K. Rowling News

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Stroube | 2393 comments Mod
J.K. Rowling will be coming out with more books! She has also admitted that there is a possibility of more HP books in the future!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/...

Michelle (In Libris Veritas) (shadowrose) I personally can't wait to see more from her, HP related or not (though I'm always up for more HP,lol)

message 3: by kimyunalesca (new)

kimyunalesca I agree I'm so excited XD

message 4: by J.D. (new)

lol I would kind of like to see what she could do with a different world. I mean, the Harry Potter books had this phenomenal world. I think she is creative enough to come out with one that is just as great. :)

message 5: by eleanor (new)

eleanor | 73 comments So Long as JK Rowling continues to write, it's fine by me :)

Michelle (In Libris Veritas) (shadowrose) Oh definitely J.D., she did a phenomenal job making the Harry Potter world as real as possible. The amount of details and back story is staggering and yet wonderfully manageable. If she comes out with something completely new I'm definitely buying it.

message 7: by Anagha Uppal (new)

Anagha Uppal Oh my gosh, this just made my day! I can't believe I didn't hear about this sooner. Already looking forward to it!

message 8: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany (tcrichardson) | 3 comments How long must we wait? LOL.

message 9: by J.D. (new)

Tiffany wrote: "How long must we wait? LOL."

Well, Rowling said that she was waiting until the last HP movie was done. Soooo... I'm guessing in 4 months to a year...

message 10: by Lyla (new)

Lyla Bellatas (lylabellatas) ooooo this is good news. I enjoy her books and her imagination.

message 11: by J.D. (new)

I know, me too! I LOVE authors who have the ability to create a world that readers feel sucked into. I love it!

message 12: by Amber (new)

Amber Garabrandt This is great! I loved sharing the H. P. Series with my niece. Can't wait to see what's next.

message 13: by Jessi (new)

Jessi | 39 comments Can't wait to see what she puts out next

message 14: by Summer (new)

Summer (SummerST) | 1 comments J.K. Rowling, writing more books! That would be amazing. If harry Potter is a best seller, than any more books would be legendary! Oh, I can't wait!! The H.P. sereis is my very favorite!

message 15: by Becky (new)

Becky | 12 comments I can't wait. I love the Harry Potter series.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I would loved more books from her, but she also says she won't be publishing any more novels. But in earlier interviews she say she is working on writing. But if the working was all for Pottermore is hard to say. Still living in hope for more books.

‘I have no plans to write another novel,’ she revealed at the Pottermore press conference. ‘I'm pretty sure I'm done on the novel front. But it was fun while it lasted.’

message 17: by Keryl (new)

Keryl Raist (kerylraist) | 66 comments If she really is out of the game, that might be a good thing. Anything she writes now will have to live in Harry Potter's shadow.

Even if she did want to continue writing novels, I'd suggest doing it under a different name so they could get a fair reading. Sure, she'd sell fewer books, but they'd have an easier time finding the right market.

My understanding is that S. Meyer's The Host is very unlike Twilight, yet every third Twilight fan picked it up, and most of them didn't like it. She would have been better off publishing it under a different name.

message 18: by Roseann (new)

Roseann | 38 comments I don't think writers can ever retire, look at Stephen King who has written quite a bit since he 'retired'.

As an aside, I attended a seminar with a librarian who was one of the lucky million beta users for Pottermore and it looks very cool. Even if she doesn't do more Potter novels this will be a good place for Potter junkies to go for a fix ;-).

message 19: by Sayyeda (new)

Sayyeda (literaryhues) | 36 comments WOW. I hope she writes about the Marauders, or the Next Generation :D

message 20: by Carly (new)

Carly (wildlavender) Awesome! I'd read any of her books. But I like the way HP ended, I don't want her to continue on about it. Harry's story is over. I don't know about his kids though. But it would be nice if it was set in the same world.

I don't think she could ever compete with HP again, ya know? You went up so far and how can you ever top that?!

message 21: by Tahanya (new)

Tahanya | 6 comments Carly wrote: "Awesome! I'd read any of her books. But I like the way HP ended, I don't want her to continue on about it. Harry's story is over. I don't know about his kids though. But it would be nice if it was ..."

I agree. Wouldn't be surprised if she comes out with it again. She so rich, she doesn't have to write again.

message 22: by Jana (new)

Jana | 4 comments She made such a huge splash with HP series, I don't think anyone wants her to write anything else. She's kind of locked into it now.

message 23: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (httpgoodreadscomrealityshowgirl) | 133 comments I would love to read more from here. I would like ot see if she can write other stories besdies Harry Potter, but it would be nice to read about Harry Potter as an adult.

message 24: by Jana (new)

Jana | 4 comments I would too. There are so many interesting characters in the HP books, she could write so many stories.

message 25: by Lisa (new)

Lisa I think she's bold enough to strike off in a new direction, leaving HP behind (though cool she's considering a bit more), regardless of shadows or what other people think. And face it, the woman writes like a goddess. Anything she writes is going to be worth reading. Personally I don't care what it is! I trust her to come up with something good.

message 26: by Kat (new)

Kat (bookbarrio) | 3 comments She's actually writing a new adult book. I think that anything she writes will be amazing.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02...

message 27: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) I can't believe that she is writing an ADULT novel!! That is a huge jump! I hope she takes her time, that way when I finally turn 18 she can release it!

message 28: by Lisa (new)

Lisa that's great, can't wait!
And Harshini, I'm sure you can read it before you turn 18! I think what they all mean here is it's not going to be kid-oriented with kid main characters. But it should be good to read for anyone of any age just like, say, the classics that feature only adults.

message 29: by Keryl (new)

Keryl Raist (kerylraist) | 66 comments Ohhh... Can't wait to see it. I really, really hope she can do a book for adults the justice it deserves. I know she's got the chops for it, but somewhere around HP: OOTP she started going off the rails. Here's hoping she gets a great editorial team and works with them!

message 30: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Off the rails? How so?

message 31: by Keryl (new)

Keryl Raist (kerylraist) | 66 comments Well, if you read the first four the plot line is pretty straight forward. We know there's a this massive conflict growing and that we're getting closer to the Harry V. Voldie show down. It's the basic good v. evil showdown, with Harry playing the role of the boy coming into manhood and Voldie playing the Dark Lord (literally.)

It's not that OOTP is a bad book, but basically about 2/3rs of it could have been cut without doing any harm to anyone's understanding of the greater plot.

Take Dumbledore's Army: okay, it's cool, and I enjoyed reading it, but the entire purpose we spend close to 100 pages on it is so Nevile, Luna, and Ginny can do a convincing job of not getting killed at the Ministry.

The Order of the Phoenix: What precisely is the point of that? At no point in the story do we see them actually do anything that requires a secret headquarters or regular meetings. Did OOTP do anything during HBP? How about during DH? If they did, we never heard about it, which means we didn't need to spend nearly as much time setting it up in this book. From what I can tell, the only reason the Order exists is to play the white hats and come to the rescue at the Ministry.

Dystopian Ministry of Magic: It's cool. I liked it. But since the Ministry does an about turn ten minutes after book five is done, and completely collapses in book seven, there's not so much need for this much detail about it.

Then there's the Ministry Fiasco. It's not a bad fight, and the whole reason this story exists is to get us to that point, but how does the fight there help the greater plot?

It doesn't. (Okay, yes, there's the prophecy thing, but if Dumbledore had the tactical skills of grass this would have been a non-issue.)

By the time I was done with OOTP I was convinced that Dumbledore was purposely using Snape to open Harry's mind wide open to Voldie so they'd go running into the Ministry, get into a big fight there, and that way the Wizarding World at large could no longer claim Voldie wasn't back. That would have been taking a step closer to getting all the players in order for the final conflict.

Then I read DH and realized that was giving Dumbledore way more credit than he was worth.

HBP came out, and we suddenly know that Dumbledore's had this whole Horcrux thing up his sleeve, and instead of using this collection of very talented Wizards and Witches that he's got at his beck and call, he's keeping the whole thing a secret. I mean think about it: wouldn't using the Order to find Horcruxes make a certain amount of sense? So, when HBP comes out we find out that OOTP existed for no real purpose. There were things they could have been doing, stuff that could have happened in the background that would have been useful and laid groundwork for DH so that we wouldn't have hundreds of pages of aimless camping.

Anyway, given what came before, OOTP is not a natural successor. Given what comes later, it does nothing to help keep the plot going and provide useful background work. Pretty much the only bit of it that made sense from the greater plot arc is that it set up the background necessary for Kick Ass Nevile to save the day in DH.

What it does is let us know that our nearest and dearest don't ever really leave us. But that's a ton of pages to give us that message, and the stuff supporting it was something of a waste.

Mostly what I'm saying is I would have liked her to have worked with a trusted story editor, someone who could have gone through her entire plot, beginning to end, and helped her create a tighter story that hung together better.

message 32: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Hey Keryl, I see you're a bit of a minimalist! I actually loved the depth and complexity of the later books. To me a book isn't just about furthering plot, but developing characters and ideas and thoughts and nuances. Different strokes though!

I remember in an interview, she talked about how starting with Azkaban, things start to change. Part of that was Harry growing up, but a big impact on her was that her mom died between 2 and 3 and she says that, while it didn't change the plot sketch, which she had mapped out right at the beginning, it changed how she wrote about things, making things deeper and darker. Maybe that shifted things in a way you didn't like.

message 33: by Keryl (new)

Keryl Raist (kerylraist) | 66 comments Lisa wrote: "Hey Keryl, I see you're a bit of a minimalist! I actually loved the depth and complexity of the later books. To me a book isn't just about furthering plot, but developing characters and ideas and..."

I was very cool with the deeper and darker, and trust me, I love depth of character and tons of back story, I just want it to have something to do with the greater plot arc. I mean, I liked all the books, but I did feel cheated when DH came out and there was no grand plan. When it turned out that basically everything we learned in OOTP was either useless or left out, I was bummed. There are so many intriguing threads, and she did nothing with them.

In OOTP Harry learns no useful skills. He doesn't grow up in any meaningful way. All the real action in regards to Voldie happens off-screen. The things we do spend time with: the OOTP, the DA, the Ministry/Umbridge, working on Occlumency, and the relationship with Cho, all get dropped by the next book.

I would have happily spent 2000 pages on all of that if the Order had been doing something useful or if DH had split point of view so we could have followed Neville and the rest of the DA as they used what they learned. Or if Harry actually learned Occlumency in the next book and we got to see how it really worked. Or if his crush on Cho was actually useful for preparing him for loving Ginny... I can go on, but you get the idea.

I would have practically wet my pants with joy if there had been an entire extra novel on Snape and Lupin.

So, yeah, minimalist isn't precisely the right word. But I hate feeling like out of a thousand page novel, maybe 300 of them were actually tied into the story.

message 34: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Keryl,
Yea, you make really good points. And I said minimalist in fun, but realized after it might not have come across that way. I guess I was just making the point that things can be valuable w/o furthering the plot, that plot is only part of it. But it sounds like you agree.

I have to tell you, I had issues with OOTP too. It's my least favorite I think. There was a lot of teenage emoting and huffing and puffing which got tiresome. But I think the point of the DA was Harry developing into a leader. I was ok with the way that played out. The point I think was just that - to take matters into their own hands, make a decision to be defiant, and learn to fight back. Skills they got to use at the ministry. And as for the Order of the Phoenix, I think that was just 'off stage'. Things were happening there, but we just didn't see it (maybe not great to name the book after it then! So point taken there!). I think with the DA Harry and friends sort of made their own 'order'.

I have to say though that I loved Deathly Hallows, which was my favorite. I thought the end, the face off between V and H was a masterpiece. And I guess I did experience that one as having plan and furthering plot. But definitely there was a bit too much relying on luck and last minutes to make it work. But that slog and wondering and living rough and feeling lost was powerful. I think life really is like that a lot of the time, even if it works out well in the end.

And I guess for me, again, furthering the story wasn't the only thing. Or the story had so many levels, those thousand pages fed the other levels, fleshed things out, fleshed that world out.

And yes, an extra novel on Snape and Lupin would be great! I actually thought Snape was the most interesting character in the book, at the end of the day.

message 35: by Keryl (new)

Keryl Raist (kerylraist) | 66 comments Lisa wrote: "Keryl,
Yea, you make really good points. And I said minimalist in fun, but realized after it might not have come across that way. I guess I was just making the point that things can be valuable w..."

I agree with you on Snape. Loved him on so many levels, and was so horrendously disappointed with what she did to him in Deathly Hallows.

I think Goblet of Fire was my favorite, followed up by HBP.

I loved the last scene where Harry says he's ready to die.

I loved DH when I read it, but then I sat there after and thought, Wait, was that it?

Like you pointed out, she did a smashing job with the emotions, but that was pretty much all there was in that story. She had to dismantle and remake her magical system to get the final confrontation to work the way she wanted it to. I am an author, and I can tell you that if you see plain stupid luck save the day more than once, you're looking a story where the author lost the reins on the plot.

My guess is that she never had a really solid idea for how they'd find the Horcruxes, just that they would. Likewise I don't think she had any idea of how the final battle would really work, other than Harry would sacrifice himself, and Voldie would die by his own hand.

So, yeah, I read for plot. I want all the other stuff. I want fabulous characters doing wonderful things. And I often wonder, if Snape had gotten the end I thought he deserved, if I would have forgiven the rest of what I consider wonky plot and bad story telling in DH. I probably would have.

Oh well. I still liked it. I'm glad you did, too. And I hope we'll both enjoy whatever she comes up with next.

message 36: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Me too Keryl, and that's an interesting point that if luck saves the day more than once... One of my biggest pet peeves is too much luck (good or bad), or what I call the 'coincidence factor'. And even the greats are subject to succumbing to that. George Eliot in Middlemarch - a guy grabs a piece of paper to stuff in his shoe that's come loose (or something like that), and it happens to be this crucial document that completely re-directs the plot..???... 'Coincidence Factor' can be a huge problem in mystery genre, as you can imagine (my favorite genre these days). But if other things are good I can overlook it to a point. The ending of HP so rang my bells that I can forgive the rest, but again, we're all so different and bring (as readers) so many different things to a book.

I loved Goblet too... my second favorite, and my favorite of the movies (though I couldn't stand Michael Gambone - so, in spite of that). Maybe HBP tied for second fave.

message 37: by Lucy (new)

Lucy (mesdupmoi) | 334 comments I cant believe I didnt know she was writing again x

message 38: by Keryl (new)

Keryl Raist (kerylraist) | 66 comments Lisa wrote: "Me too Keryl, and that's an interesting point that if luck saves the day more than once... One of my biggest pet peeves is too much luck (good or bad), or what I call the 'coincidence factor'. A..."

Yeah, the coincidence factor is a pretty good indicator of an author who's written himself into a corner.

I mean, we all do it because sometimes people do just stumble onto things. I've done it, you've done it, but if it happens over and over, and your plot absolutely depends on it... Yikes!

And mysteries... Okay, so Midsommer Murders is one of my favorite TV shows. I absolutely adore Barnaby. But there was something like four or five episodes in a row where he appeared to be stumbling into clues and taking leaps of intuition that bordered on psychic to figure out the crimes. No wonder Troy (his sidekick) couldn't follow his ability to solve the crimes, they were basically magic.

message 39: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Ha! Yes, psychic needs to not be a tool in the investigator's toolbox! Unless it's a fantasy-scifi sort of story. I think Midsommer Murders are based on books. Are they any good? That pops up as an recommendation on Amazon, but I can't remember if it was DVD or books. Good to know it's good, whatever it is. I'm always on the lookout for good new authors to get 'hooked' on.

message 40: by Keryl (new)

Keryl Raist (kerylraist) | 66 comments Lisa wrote: "Ha! Yes, psychic needs to not be a tool in the investigator's toolbox! Unless it's a fantasy-scifi sort of story. I think Midsommer Murders are based on books. Are they any good? That pops up ..."

I liked the books quite a bit, but, fair warning they're pretty dark.

The show is less dark, more 'likeable' but a whole lot of fun. I thought it got a bit rough 'round about season four (Incredible Psychic Barnaby to the rescue!) but there are 11 seasons, so it probably got better.

The show's on netflix streaming if you've got that. The hubby and I are working our way through watching them all.

message 41: by Lisa (new)

Lisa That does sound good. I keep meaning to get Netflix set up, so maybe this will push me over to it. Thanks for the rec! And yea, I'm used to dark, which is fine as long as things are well-written.

message 42: by Keryl (new)

Keryl Raist (kerylraist) | 66 comments Lisa wrote: "That does sound good. I keep meaning to get Netflix set up, so maybe this will push me over to it. Thanks for the rec! And yea, I'm used to dark, which is fine as long as things are well-written."

I think they're well written. (Except for near psychic Barnaby eppys.) But the humor is fantastic and the characters are excellent. Hope you like them.

message 43: by Lisa (new)

Lisa sounds very promising!

message 44: by Beatrice (new)

Beatrice Masaluñga (beatricemasalunga) Looking forward for more books written by her. :)

message 45: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 24 comments The Casual Vacancy by Rowling will be out Sept 27. And she's given us lots of Potter background on Pottermore with hidden facts and extra info. I've been chronicling the effect all this is having on Potter fandom in my new book: Harry Potter, Still Recruiting: An Inner Look at Harry Potter Fandom. http://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/sho...

message 46: by Kateryna (new)

Kateryna Kei | 11 comments That's awesome! I cant wait to read more of her books! ;-) Thanks for telling us.

message 47: by L.Y. (new)

L.Y. Levand (lylevand) I heard that The Casual Vacancy was 'underwhelming.' I agree with everyone who said it will be difficult, if not impossible, to top Harry Potter; that's probably why some people weren't impressed, lol. If she wanted to do more novels about character's back stories, now...I'd buy those!

message 48: by Katrina (new)

Katrina Welsh (katrinawelsh_) Apparently BBC is making Casual Vacancy into a tv miniseries. http://www.leakynews.com/the-casual-v...