(good) Horror Films discussion

Horror Directors/Actors > Lynch (one)

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Phillip (last edited Sep 25, 2008 01:46AM) (new)

Phillip hey y'all,

i posted this over at "movies we just watched", but since there are quite a few lynch fans over on this side of the fence, i thought i would post it here.

cheers,
pg

Lynch (one)

SPOILER ALERT

this new documentary was shot in digital video while lynch was making has last film, inland empire. it is a video journal of sorts: lots of footage of the director building sets, in the recording studio, sitting at his desk, prepping actors for scenes, discussing cameras, sitting in his living room at home, driving around los angeles; there are several sequences with freely shot images (out of the windows of cars, in unusual locations) with superimposed soundtracks of lynch narrating dreams, telling stories, anecdotes from lectures.

from time to time he talks about meditation, perhaps once or twice too often (for he ocassionaly repeats himself). the portrait that emerges is a candid one of a man who is perfectly comfortable in his role as an artist, is fuelled and energized by it, loves his work, and continues to use meditation to explore his subconscious, all the while using raw personal material (dreams, visions, momentary fantasies) as hubris for his celebrated films.

the pace of the documentary is probably too slow for those who are not lynch fans and might instead read this effort as ponderous. but for those that have a sense of the man and enjoy his films, it reads like an honest attempt to shake the confines of your average documentary, the standards of which usually include a squadron of talking heads, bold titles and pithy soundbytes, clear summaries and tightly framed narratives (and, if you can afford it, a trendy philip glass soundtrack).

if that's your thing (and why not, a little structure and clarity never hurts when you're creating a work of "non-fiction"), then this film probably isn't for you. but if you're a fan and are willing to relax for 80 minutes and be content with wandering around with lynch in his various workplaces and get a sense of his creative process, you might find this a satisfying (and quite often humorous) viewing experience.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

This sounds very much like Meeting People is Easy, the Radiohead documentary chronicling the band around the time of OK Computer.

I remember seeing an advertisement for this on the insert card in my copy of Inland Empire. I'd be very curious to see it.

message 3: by Phillip (last edited Sep 24, 2008 11:16PM) (new)

Phillip I might want to check out that radiohead doc. ok computer is such a great record...they really sound like a band on that one. i know they've made other fine albums, but that might be my fave. my trio (the lost trio) has recorded a few of their songs. i saw them once (for free!) in florence a few years ago, what a great show.

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy | 238 comments Mod
Thanks for the tip, Phillip, I hadn't heard about this - definitely want to check it out!

message 5: by WitchyFingers (new)

WitchyFingers Excellent, thanks for the info!

message 6: by Ariadna (new)

Ariadna | 7 comments How come there's such few fans of Lynch!!! him and Cronenberg are my top two. I heard Inland Empire was going to be his last film but it's coming something called Snootworld an animated film directed by Lynch and written by Caroline Thompson (E.Scissorhands, Nightmare before...)

message 7: by Phillip (new)

Phillip i've reviewed pretty much every film the guy has made, and am a solid suppoter of mr lynch, so you can't be talking about me...

message 8: by Ariadna (new)

Ariadna | 7 comments I like Wild at Heart, especially the first half, but it's one of my least favorites though it has nothing to do with Nicholas Cage

message 9: by Amy (new)

Amy | 238 comments Mod
I think Wild at Heart is OK...I mean, it's hard to dislike a movie paying homage to the Wizard of Oz. However, there's some scenes that I just don't get - e.g. the scene where Laura Dern throws up in the hotel room, and both halves of the couple just leave it there...then Willem Defoe strolls in and does his virtual soliloquy. Does the upchuck represent something existential in the film (a wee Munchkin, mayhap)?

message 10: by Alex DeLarge (new)

Alex DeLarge | 226 comments LOST HIGHWAY is my favorite: the ghastly face of Robert Blake is as scary as Danny Glick asking to be let in, hanging in the ether for eternity. I like every Lynch film except INLAND EMPIRE; that one just didn't hit any note for me. Not that I hated the film but it left me with a feeling of ambivalence. I just ordered THE ELEPHANT MAN on blu-ray from the UK and can't wait to watch in high-definition. Freddie Francis' cinematography is exceptional: remember, he's the one who filmed THE INNOCENTS and that utilizes some of the best deep focus techniques since Toland in CITIZEN KANE! Anyway, love me some Lynch so thanks Philip for sharing. I didn't know about this Doc.

message 11: by Phillip (new)

Phillip yeah dude, freddie francis rules...cool that lynch went back to that particular brit to photograph his carney's nightmare. elephant man is a fave for sure.

message 12: by Amy (new)

Amy | 238 comments Mod
My favorite Lynch film is Mulholland Drive - Naomi Watts' performance just blew me away. She makes that film shine, as far as I'm concerned.

Inland Empire - yep, I'm still not sure what I think about that one. Although, as I've said before, it does have that one scene that made me jump and gasp - Laura Dern sneaking up on you with that wiiide smile... I still haven't seen all those short films that went with it (on the DVD) that apparently make Inland Empire make more sense.

Whenever I think of Inland Empire, I can't help thinking about a review I read of Schenecty (?sp), NY (and forgive me if I've mentioned this before - I can't remember) - the reviewer said that some folks love S, NY rabidly, but in his opinion it's a horrible film, very full of itself. And he compared the following of S, NY to that of Inland Empire - "it's a masterpiece!" I hope you appreciate that, Rob (and btw, I watched S, NY out of curiosity - wow, was I bored).

message 13: by Phillip (last edited Nov 16, 2009 12:07AM) (new)

Phillip mulholland drive is kind of the apex of the lynchian idea(l). so in some ways, i agree that it's his best film. but i also have a particular fondness for both eraserhead and elephant man. those are both personal faves.

message 14: by Alex DeLarge (new)

Alex DeLarge | 226 comments I liked his EC Comic adaptations!

message 15: by Alex DeLarge (new)

Alex DeLarge | 226 comments The 70s film version but not the HBO series.

message 16: by Tom (new)

Tom | 21 comments I have been increasingly disappointed with Lynch's films since the bloated MULHOLLAND DR., and that extra-bloat INLAND EMPIRE thing, well, the less said the better.

message 17: by Alex DeLarge (new)

Alex DeLarge | 226 comments I have to check it out, thanks Rob!

message 18: by Jill (new)

Jill (wanderingrogue) | 51 comments Tom wrote: "I have been increasingly disappointed with Lynch's films since the bloated MULHOLLAND DR., and that extra-bloat INLAND EMPIRE thing, well, the less said the better."

Awww! C'mon! Who doesn't love bunnies. ;)

message 19: by Alex DeLarge (new)

Alex DeLarge | 226 comments Rob, I searched many UK sites and the original DVD release is worth good money because it's OoP! I see it selling for over a hundred pounds:)