The Atheist Book Club discussion

Audio + Video > Thunderf00t - Westboro Baptist Church (full interview)

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTSbfs...

No description necessary :)

message 2: by Cora (new)

Cora Judd (corajudd) | 163 comments Funny. She's "got the proper Bible" on her phone. She is relying on the latest science and technology to access an old book that has as many errors and contradictions as it has words.

message 3: by MadgeUK (last edited Jul 16, 2011 12:37AM) (new)

MadgeUK IMO not worth listening to. She is so nasty, and the younger one is just parroting the bible.

message 4: by Roxy (last edited Jul 16, 2011 07:12AM) (new)

Roxy (Roxy641) | 45 comments Donegal wrote: "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTSbfs...

No description necessary :)"

I don't know how thunderf00t put up with those people.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

In general I hate to give attention to fools like WBC but I thought some people might get a kick out seeing how much Thunderf00t got on her nerves.

message 6: by Roxy (new)

Roxy (Roxy641) | 45 comments Donegal wrote: "In general I hate to give attention to fools like WBC but I thought some people might get a kick out seeing how much Thunderf00t got on her nerves."

They wouldn't even let him finish most of what he was saying, and they were rude to thunderf00t, but then none of us should be surprised by that. :-(

message 7: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 16, 2011 06:57PM) (new)

I'm kind of surprised they would agree to sit down with him at all, although I guess I shouldn't have been considering they are largely after attention and they don't care how they get it.

Now I feel guilty for sharing it; we make nutjobs like them relevant when we give them our attention. We really ought to stop giving them the notoriety they so obviously crave and let them wash like so much offal back into the oceanic garbage patch of obscurity.

message 8: by Roxy (new)

Roxy (Roxy641) | 45 comments Donegal wrote: "Now I feel guilty for sharing it; we make nutjobs like them relevant when we give them our attention. We really ought to stop giving them the notoriety they so obviously crave and let them wash like so much offal back into the oceanic garbage patch of obscurity. "

Dont' feel guilty Donegal. I for one subscribe to thunderf00t's posts on youtube. So I had already watched it once.

It is interesting to see the majority of christians distance themselves from the Westbro Bapists, they both use the same holy book to decide on their religious beliefs. If that can happen, what is the point in the bible if every christian has a different idea of what it actually means. Imagine if the Highway Code book had the same effect as the bible, you'd have motorists claiming that the red light means go instead of STOP.

message 9: by Ian (new)

Ian (ouisl) | 28 comments Louis Theroux followed the family for a while for an episode of his, and I thought it would be interesting because Theroux is great at what he does, but the family is so close-minded that there aren't any interesting revelations about them. They really are basically just living with their hate and insulating themselves against everything else and there is nothing deeper than that to learn about them. Most of it is available on YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOrz5k...

message 10: by MadgeUK (new)

MadgeUK I saw the Louis Theroux programmes and came to the conclusion that the Phelps family and their followers should be prosecuted for child abuse. The lies and hate they force their children to imbibe is obscene and should not be allowed in a civilised society. Paedophiles 'groom' their victims like this and we imprison them!

message 11: by Ian (new)

Ian (ouisl) | 28 comments I don't agree, partly because I don't want too live in a society that is too civilized. I love obscenity and the ability to take part in it, and I think that people like them should be able to spout whatever bullshit they want, as should I. I can just hate them for it. Their children could potentially learn to break away from that hatred when they're older. It's not like they're the only kids being raised by despicable parents, they're just forced to be in the public eye more.

message 12: by MadgeUK (new)

MadgeUK But we often do remove kids from despicable parents - drugs users for instance. This form of hate and homophobia is like a drug in these families.

message 13: by Ian (new)

Ian (ouisl) | 28 comments Only problem drug users that are found out. And in a truly free society, drugs shouldn't be so restricted.

message 14: by Alford (new)

Alford Wayman (wayman29) That the video was funny! The only thing poor thunderfoot did was give them the floor to spout their agenda. The poor guy could not get a word in edge wise. He should go back to making science videos. WB has been at this a lot longer and are much louder on the soapbox. LOL

message 15: by MadgeUK (new)

MadgeUK And in a truly free society, drugs shouldn't be so restricted.

No, in a truly free libertarian? society everyone can go to hell in a handcart and there would be no need for any form of government whatsoever, no help for anyone, dog eat dog.