Agatha Christie Lovers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book of the Month Reads > CLOSED August 2011 BOM - The Mysterious Mr. Quin

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 4574 comments Mod
Originally published in 1930. THE MYSTERIOUS MR. QUIN. A conjurer of skill with an instinct for detection, Mr. Harley Quin has an almost magical flair for appearing at the scene of the most remarkable crimes. But is it just a trick of light that haunts his shadow with a ghostly apparition? Is it fate that invites him to a New Year's Eve murder? And what forces are at work when his car breaks down outside Royston Hall, an isolated estate with a deadly history? With fantastic intrigue, uncanny procedure, and Agatha Christie's most charismatic creation, these dazzling stories remain personal favorites for the queen of crime.(less)

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm looking forward to this one!

message 3: by Jill (last edited Jul 15, 2011 04:31PM) (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) I have read this book at least three times and absolutely love the stories. Mr Quin is indeed mystical and Mr. Sattherwaite, who appeared in other Christie stories, is a dear little man. I just wish Christie had written more tales of this character.
The Mysterious Mr. Quin  by Agatha Christie

message 4: by jennifer (new)

jennifer (mascarawand) | 95 comments I'm not sure if I have this book or not. I have an anthology of Christie and there is a section called "Harley Quin". It begins with a chapter entitled "The Coming of Mr. Quin", runs thirteen chapters and ends with a chapter called "The Love Detectives". Is this what we're reading? Thanks!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

The book I have The Mysterious Mr. Quin (Paperback)) (Hercule Poirot Mysteries (Paperback)) by Agatha Christie has 12 chapters. Chapter 1: "The Coming of Mr. Quin" thru Chapter 12: "Harlequin's Lane"

Hope this helps.

message 6: by jennifer (new)

jennifer (mascarawand) | 95 comments "Harlequin's Lane" is the second to the last chapter in mine, so I guess I have the right one. Thanks so much, Jeannette.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

You're welcome!

message 8: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 91 comments Excited for this one, it's been about a year since I read these! I love the mysterious qualities of mr. Quinn.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I wish there was a Kindle version of this book. I don't have this one and now that I have a Kindle, I prefer to read them that way.

Hopefully, the books for future months will be available for my Kindle!

message 10: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 91 comments I was also dissapointed not to find this one on kindle. I love having all my books with me. Will be picking it up from the library tomorrow.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I've finished the first two stories. I had forgotten that each chapter is a single mystery told in 20 pages or less. Great Christie fun!

message 12: by Carolyn F. (new)

Does Kindle let you put PDF versions on them?

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Has anyone started Mr. Quin? Since they are a series of short stories, rather than a single mystery, we can start the discussion any time.

Carolyn -- do we just discuss, assuming there are spoilers? I haven't joined in on the groups reads before, so I don't know how you handle this. Especially with a mystery.

message 14: by Carolyn F. (new)

Can everyone just write spoiler right before you write something spoilerish? That should warn anybody who doesn't want to read spoilers.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I've finished the first 6 stories, and they have changed from solving old murder mysteries to setting right other types of old wrongs. I am enjoy Mr. Satterhwaites's character development.

message 16: by jennifer (new)

jennifer (mascarawand) | 95 comments I'm just starting on the third story and trying to pick up the pace.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

What do you think of Mr. Quin and Mr. Satterhwaite? I had to laugh at Christie's description of Mr. Satterhwaite: "sixty-two -- a little bent, dried-up man".

Agatha Christie was 40 when the book was published.

message 18: by jennifer (new)

jennifer (mascarawand) | 95 comments More than his physical description, I'm surprised at how Satterwaite's described as so easy to ignore, so bland- yet he's invited everywhere and is at the center of the action.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes, he is invited everywhere, isn't he? But, he obviously has money, and fine tastes, so he must know everyone, too. He's one of those older, exotic gents who are invited to all the country homes. On the other hand, Mr. Quin always seems to find a way to appear, uninvited.

message 20: by jennifer (new)

jennifer (mascarawand) | 95 comments I'm on the seventh story and it appears that Mr. Satterwaite and Mr. Quin are stalking each other all over the world, lol.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Satterhwaite can't shake the guy! I do like how their relationship is evolving. Mr. S. it quite pleased when Mr. Quin shows up.

Wasn't it interesting in story 6, "The World's End" how Mr. Quin just vanishes? I really enjoyed this story; it was a departure from the "cold case" mysteries in the first few stories.

I'll start reading again, now that you have caught up! :)

message 22: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 91 comments Just finished last night! The Man from the Sea is one of my favorites. I just wish Mr. Satterthwaite would quit feeling old and dried up! He's lovely and even the 'young' people like him.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

I haven't read that far, but I'll sneak in some reading time later.

What do you think about these kinds of stories? They aren't "typical" mysteries, are they?

message 24: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) Amanda wrote: "Just finished last night! The Man from the Sea is one of my favorites. I just wish Mr. Satterthwaite would quit feeling old and dried up! He's lovely and even the 'young' people like him."

I guess when AC wrote these stories , the age 62 was considered really old.....it seems funny in this day and age.
I love the mystery surrounding Mr. Quin......is he really Harlequin?.......he certainly appears and disappears with a magical quality. Very whimsical.

message 25: by jennifer (new)

jennifer (mascarawand) | 95 comments These stories become a little mystical as they progress through the book. By about the eight or ninth story I began to feel that Quin was Satterthwaite's sub-conscious, talking and guiding him through what S had already observed but not reflected upon.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

That's interesting. I certainly felt that Mr. Quin was at least "otherworldly" but never thought of him the way you do.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh, my. You must have a good-sized collection. :)

message 28: by Catie (new)

Catie (catiewithac) | 18 comments SPOILERS!

The Mysterious Mr. Quin was somewhat of a shock to my system after reading (and enjoying) the tales of very real characters Tommy and Tuppence. Mr. Satterthwaite is so pathetically inexperienced with human emotions and Mr. Quin appears to be a mythical specter. It took me a while to like any of these stories. The only solace was that you see the face of fate intervening in people's lives in Mr. Quin.

Agatha Christie is her best critic and the stories I liked most were the ones she did too (she noted them in her foreward). "Harlequin's Lane" was very nearly a horror story!

I was glad that I read the wikipedia entry on the tradition of Harlequin and Columbine in England. Otherwise those references - particularly in the final story - would have been lost on me.

More and more I find myself enjoying Christie's characters that have the most flaws. That's why I always loved Hastings so much.

Harlequin's terrifying visage as Death in "Harlequin's Lane" was something new for me to experience in Christie's writing. It was otherworldly in a way that sort of jolted me. These were almost like little morality tales.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

That is what makes them so interesting to me. Christie was experimenting with these otherworldly tales. And, Satterhwaite seems to come more alive with each story.

My book doesn't have a foreword; I'll have to look for it.

message 30: by Catie (new)

Catie (catiewithac) | 18 comments In the foreward, Christie says her favorite stories are World's End, The Man from the Sea, and Harlequin's Lane.

She describes Harlequin as "not quite human, yet concerned with the affairs of human beings and particularly of lovers." She continues to explain that "Harlequin is also the advocate for the dead." That is the most interesting aspect of this character, for me at least.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

I've read half of the stories, and it certainly holds true that he helps lovers to reunite, or resolve issues that keep them apart. He prevents suicides, too. I wonder why he needs a medium like Satterhwaite to do these things?

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

I just read "The Voice in the Dark" and think it is the weakest story so far.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Mr. Quin is now making short guest appearances, and I miss him.

message 34: by Carolyn F. (new)

This book is a book of the month read for August 2018. Here is a link to that thread https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.