Terminalcoffee discussion

Face Off! (Less Serious) > minivan-yay or nay?

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (last edited Jul 15, 2011 01:13PM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I read an article called "The Minivan We Swore We'd Never Buy" today on Salon:

http://www.salon.com/life/my_tiny_hyp...

The article, uh, stretches a little much, in my opinion, although I agree with the author in a couple areas. But I'm fascinated by 1) this idea that driving a minivan means you've sold out or whatever, 2) people actually not buying a minivan because of that symbolism. That seems to feed into a weird unwritten rule in ways I can't quite comprehend.

Personally, I like minivans, esp. when the kids were young. Power doors made my life easy, too, and we could fit half the damn neighborhood in that sucker. We don't need one as much now, I guess, that the kids are a little older. But a minivan was sure the hell better than leaning down into a four-door when the kids were in carseats, especially.

So...minivans? Your view?

message 2: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments I like them, especially the HOnda Odyssey.

message 3: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24101 comments Mod
Your comment has convinced me that the author is an idiot, therefore I cannot read it.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments My touring van was a 1993 Plymouth Grand Voyager minivan with faux wood paneling. I pulled out the back seats and built a wooden frame in the back about two feet up and bolted an old wooden futon frame to it. All my guitars and gear and clothes fit underneath the bed, well hidden. I put up curtains and an inflatable mattress. I slept in there on at least three trips around the country.
I loved that minivan soooooooooooo much.

message 5: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments uh..no. soccer mom city. wah-wah

message 6: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17320 comments Mod
I loathe minivans. With a passion. The stupidest car, in my opinion. No power and flipping ugly huge. No.

message 7: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments We had a minivan when I was a kid, and I liked it then, but that was mostly because it meant my sister and I didn't have to share the same seat on trips to Michigan. However, I was also taught how to drive in that minivan, and it sucked; no acceleration, crappy cornering and huge blind spots. Nay

message 8: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments for me, for me i said, a minivan seemed like i was cashing it in

message 9: by Sally, la reina (new)

Exactly Kevin. They seem to say "I don't give a shit about anything but the comfort of my children." OR something like that.

message 10: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments ha! hard to do a yard job on someone or listen to babes in toyland with the windows down in a dodge caravan

message 11: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Kevin's version of the minivan.

message 12: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I once had a minivan just like this one.

message 13: by Sally, la reina (new)

yard job? Babes in Toyland?

message 14: by Helena (new)

Helena | 1058 comments Instead of the usual symptoms of post-partum depression, mine manifested as a sudden urge to wear pink for a few months and I bought a mini-van. It was nice for the year I was off work, but I sold it as soon as I went back....$450.00 a month for gas.

message 15: by Stina (last edited Jul 16, 2011 09:17AM) (new)

Stina (stinalee) | 750 comments My sister has one to tote her kids and all sorts of other crap around in and it's freaking lovely. As a single gal, I certainly won't be purchasing one anytime soon, but it is really freaking handy.

message 16: by Brittomart (last edited Jul 16, 2011 09:25AM) (new)

Brittomart When a 94-year-old man driving a Ford F150 ran a stop sign and totaled my brother's car, the insurance company paid for a rental, and it was a "Swagger Wagon," the Toyota Sienna.

My brother's fiancee, my niece and I really loved the Swagger Wagon. My brother HATED it because it was "uncool." It was roomy, and I liked the way it rode. If I had kids, I would want a minivan. I say yay.

message 17: by Sally, la reina (new)

When we have more kids and live in a city or town I want something more minivan-ish, like a Toyota Venza or Matrix. But not a full on Chrystler debacle. So ugly.

message 18: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments yard job? yes, that is where you drive into someone's yard and do a burn out scuffing up their grass

message 19: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Aynge wrote: "I like them, especially the HOnda Odyssey."

That's what we have...an older one, though, about ten years old, but it's needed next to no work. Yay Honda.

I'm confused by the "no power" concern. Are you guys revving up the engines for races at stoplights?

Also, Kevin, have you seen some of those soccer moms lately? Dude, you don't know what you're missin', if you haven't.

message 20: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments BunWat wrote: "The few times I've driven a minivan I felt like the car was always on the verge of tipping over. It felt weirdly top heavy. And no acceleration at all. So, give me a station wagon, really."

Every now and then I see a station wagon on the street, the type that seemed 400 feet long and where kids would stretch out in the back, the storage area, without seatbelts, back in the 70s.

message 21: by Félix (last edited Jul 16, 2011 07:25PM) (new)

Félix (habitseven) I recall riding in a caravan of marauders in the upper Catskill Mountains one summer evening. The lead car (a Mustang, I believe) made a wrong turn into someone's yard. His only way out was to turn a donut on the grass, as the two trailing vehicles followed in suit.

As we in the last one were about to exit the driveway, the yard owner pulled open the door to the Impala, and brandished a 12 gauge at our faces. "Cops are on the way!" he shouted.

We pulled the door closed and took off down the street sweating bullets.

This is a true story. Adrenaline pumping.

When again we met up down the road a bit, one of the passengers in the Mustang got out and danced on the hood. The owner of the Mustang was not pleased.

message 22: by Lobstergirl, el principe (last edited Jul 16, 2011 07:32PM) (new)

Randy, are you?

(ETA: this was in response to the soccer mom comment...)

message 23: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Did the gun freak you out, Jones? Back in Chicago, early in high school, an old guy pointed a gun at some friends and me because we were making too much noise on his corner. We were too young and stupid to be afraid.

message 24: by Sally, la reina (new)

RandomAnthony wrote: "I'm confused by the "no power" concern. Are you guys revving up the engines for races at stoplights? ."

No, I'm more concerned with being able to get up a hill in the snow. Also minivans are usually rear wheel drive. Stupid.

message 25: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Ah, the mountains, I guess I can understand that. I've never had a problem getting the Honda through snow, though, and we get a lot of snow here.

message 26: by Sally, la reina (new)

Your Honda is probably front wheel drive and has a decently large engine. I'm talking Dodge and Chrystler hate.

message 27: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Dodge and Chrysler mv's are front wheel drive for sure. Some are all wheel.

message 28: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) RA -- didn't have time to be scared by the gun. It was all so surreal.

message 29: by Sally, la reina (new)

Well, there are rear wheel drives ones somewhere and I fucking loathe those ones.

message 30: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) And rightly so.

message 31: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11617 comments Minivans are okay. Ditch the fucking suburban SUVs.

message 32: by Carol (new)

Carol | 1679 comments I had a 92 Grand Caravan AWD. 21mpg, moved all my furniture except two things, no problems ever in the snow. I'd get another now that they don't have that freakishly long windshield/nose.

message 33: by Julie (new)

Julie (jooliaaah) Definite nay - unless you're a soccer mom. And even then, ick.

message 34: by Laurin (new)

Laurin (laurinlooloo) | 1867 comments No minivans for me. Nothing screams "I've given up my adult life to be a mommy" more those. There are many other ways to transport people and things.

message 35: by Laurin (new)

Laurin (laurinlooloo) | 1867 comments No minivans for me. Nothing screams "I've given up my adult life to be a mommy" more those. There are many other ways to transport people and things.

message 36: by Allison (new)

Allison (thebookwheel) I've always said no minivans. But so did everyone else I know until they had kids. Apparently, you just can't beat the storage in a minivan.

But I don't have kids yet, so I'm still a no on minivans!

message 37: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) I have friends who are authorized to put a hit out on me if they ever spot me driving a minivan, since it clearly will be an alien pod person and not me.

message 38: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments We have a mini van, and it really is a versatile vehicle to own, but gas mileage is not its forte.

Angela~twistedmind~ (twistedmind) | 540 comments NAY!!! They are just a larger version of a stationwagon as far as I am concerned. If I'm ever caught driving one, someone needs to commit me because I've obviously lost my marbles.