The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Report for Duty > New to Goodreads!

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tabitha Cothern | 10 comments I joined Goodreads last year, but didn't do anything with it until recently. Just discovered the groups feature and joined this one because I'm a mystery fan, although I go through stages, so I'll be joining other groups too. I'm always looking for new authors, especially those with long-running series I can really dig into. Feel free to recommend your favorites to me!

message 2: by paul (new)

paul burke (anntony475) | 56 comments Bithalynn wrote: "I joined Goodreads last year, but didn't do anything with it until recently. Just discovered the groups feature and joined this one because I'm a mystery fan, although I go through stages, so

karen Fossum, Donna Leon, David Balducci, henning Mankell are all good for your reading consideration.

message 3: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

Donna | 2178 comments Mod
Welcome Bithalynn. You've come to the right place for recommendations. My TBR list is enormous due to all the great recommendations I've seen here.

What is your favorite type of mystery? Cozy? Police Procedural? Noir?

I'm particularly fond of the Adam Dalgliesh series by P.D. James and the Richard Jury series by Martha Grimes.

message 4: by aprilla (new)

aprilla Hi Bithalynn :) You'll get loads of ideas here! I like series too and am in the middle of getting through Karin Slaughter's books... I also like Lisa Gardiner and David Rosenfelt and Joanna Fluke and Robin Cook and and and.... LOL
Enjoy!

Tabitha Cothern | 10 comments Thanks guys. My favorite type of story changes with my mood, I've read and loved many many genres and subgenres. Recently I discovered and read all of the Prey and Virgil Flowers series by John Sandford, and I loved them. Lately that seems to be what I want to read, I guess they'd be police procedurals? But more... intimate I guess than just your dry Patricia Cornwell type science-focused novels, although at times I have loved hers as well, like I said my favorites change with my mood. Basically I'm just looking for great stories with a good mystery and really engaging characters.

message 6: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

Hayes (hayes13) | 2060 comments Mod
Hi Bithalynn! Thanks for joining the group.

message 7: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

Donna | 2178 comments Mod
If you are looking for something with very different characters and location check out the Dr. Siri series by Colin Cotterill. We read the first book as a group read earlier this year. The discussion is at http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/5...

message 8: by Diane S ☔ (new)

Diane S ☔ | 157 comments Welcome. Two of my favorite long running series are the Mallory novels by Carol O'Connell and the Pendergast series by Douglas Preston. Very different characters with very strange backgounds.