Military Readers & Writers discussion

Introduction and request

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Russell (new)

Russell Phillips (russellphillips) Hi,

I'm just starting to really explore Goodreads, and found this group. I've started writing non-fiction about military technology and history (see my author page for more details - I don't really want to spam the group).

I have a request, however. Some years ago someone loaned me a book which was the fictional memoirs of a WW1 Austro-Hungarian u-boat commander. I think it was called "A Captain of Austria", but I haven't been able to find any mention of it. I'd really like to find my own copy (ideally in some sort of e-book format, but I suspect that's asking far too much).

Does anyone know the book I'm talking about, and have more details (ISBN etc)? Or even know where I might be able to get a copy?

Thanks,

Russ

message 2: by Nick (new)

Nick | 3 comments It's called A SAILOR OF AUSTRIA by John Biggins (ISBN 978-1590131077). It's part of a trilogy, one of which is a prequel and the other a sequel. It's loosely based on Georg von Trapp. SAILOR is the best of the three (but they are all worth reading). They're all avalable from Amazon

message 3: by Russell (new)

Russell Phillips (russellphillips) Gah, I'd mis-remembered the title, no wonder I couldn't find it. Thanks, Nick. Much obliged :)

Russ

message 4: by Russell (new)

Russell Phillips (russellphillips) Hmm, according to Library Thing, there are four books, in the following order:

A Sailor of Austria
The Emperor's Coloured Coat
The Two-Headed Eagle
Tomorrow the World

Which one is the prequel to A Sailor of Austria?

Thanks a lot for your help. After years of searching for the wrong book, I found it in two seconds once I had the correct title.

Russ

message 5: by Nick (new)

Nick | 3 comments COLOURED COAT is the prequel.

I note that neither is quite as good as SoA but they are fun, nonetheless.

message 6: by Russell (new)

Russell Phillips (russellphillips) Thanks again, Nick. I've downloaded Sailor of Austria to my Kindle and have just started re-reading it. I may get the others at some point.

Russ