Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Harry Potter movie thread w/ spoilers

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I have a feeling we might need this?

message 2: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (jez476) | 664 comments I saw the midnight showing last night (this morning?). I loved it! 4.98 stars out of 5. There are a couple of things that redeemed certain characters that they cut out of part 1 and 2 that I'd wish they'd kept in but they weren't too important to the overall story. I have only read the 7th book once when it first came out and so there is a lot I don't remember. My friend has read it 4 times, including last week, and she said there were a lot of changes but they worked for the movie.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments BunWat wrote: "I havent seen it yet, but I did babysit someone else's puppy so they could go see it last night..."

Civvy of you.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I thought it worked well as a movie. Some of the action felt a little anticlimactic but otherwise I was happy.

message 5: by Brittomart (last edited Jul 15, 2011 09:53PM) (new)

Brittomart Okay, I think this might be way out there, but...

I read the book like...months after it came out, and that was awhile ago. I sped read it, so I didn't remember much. And I didn't watch Deathly Hallows part 2 either. I liked this movie! I ready to go see it again in IMAX. But...

I think this movie should have killed Harry.

I really didn't like all of this Voldemort's Elder Wand technicality bs. Like, right before Harry destroys the Elder Wand, and there's the section where he explains that Malfoy disarmed Dumbledore, so technically it was Malfoy's wand until Harry disarmed him. No, no no. Like, when Harry wasn't killed by the avada kedavra (sp?) spell, I was thinking, "Huh?" But it's like, "Oh, well, Voldemort has a bootleg wand, so the spell didn't work." Something about that just makes me want to go, "Really?"

I would have liked it if the ending of the movie went like this: Hermione kills Nagini, and then Harry sacrifices himself since he is the final Horcrux. I mean, he still battles it out with Voldemort, but like...they defeat each other. He dies! But the bad guy dies too! Harry's funeral! And the epilogue is Ron and Herminone telling their son Harry James Weasley about The Boy Who Lives Forever or something.

I think turning Harry into the final Horcrux is clever, but it was wasted.

message 6: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) I saw HP this afternoon, IMAX 3D. First, I hate those frickin glasses! The movie was meh for me. Some girl next to me cried through almost the whole movie and that was a bit of a distraction. I mean really.. didn't she read the book, didn't she know what was going to happen?! I think the last installment was actually a better movie. I hated the corny ending in the book and I hated it even more in the movie. Really it took them 19 yrs to send a 10 yr old to Hogwarts?
I agree with Brit in that I think they both should have died. It would have been so much more dramatic.
The best part of the movie was the preview for The Dark Knight Rises!

message 7: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart The epilogue looked just like it read: STUPID. Like, the girl who played Ginny and her son looked the same age. My cousins and I agree that the only ones they almost effectively aged were Ron and Hermione.

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Apparently they had to reshoot that whole epilogue. They did it first with really dramatic CGI aging and it was terribly received, so they went back and did it with makeup. I'm one of the people who thinks they could have left off the epilogue entirely, in the book and the movie.

There's been a lot of hate on the girl who plays Ginny, and I defended her in the past, but in this movie I have to say she had no presence whatsoever, and no chemistry with Harry.

message 9: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments From a technical standpoint, I hate the epilogue. From an oh-my-god-the-series-is-over-and-my-heart-is-breaking standpoint, I like it. In the books, anyway. I'm hoping to see the movie this weekend since a bit of a financial snafu made us put it off for a week. Since I've read the books, I'm not afraid of movie spoilers, though I held off coming to this thread as long as I could.

message 10: by Farrah (last edited Jul 18, 2011 10:17AM) (new)

Farrah I finally saw it last night. Great movie as most of them were. I was sad when it ended because that is the close of Harry Potter in a way. I agree with the epilogue. I didn't like it in the book and felt like it was a last minute throw-in by Rowling. But I am glad they put it in the movie. It kind of gave a sense of closure in a way. But the make up was awful.
I LOVED the dragon.

message 11: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments Britomart wrote: "Okay, I think this might be way out there, but...

I read the book like...months after it came out, and that was awhile ago. I sped read it, so I didn't remember much. And I didn't watch Deathly Ha..."

I like your ending, Brit, but I think it would have killed me, lol. I had to have a slightly ridiculous happy ending, I really did.

message 12: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments ::cabbage patch::

Going to see it tonight, finally.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.