Study Buddies discussion

Touch of Power (Healer, #1)
This topic is about Touch of Power
Discuss Touch of Power > Touch of Power - No Spoilers Thread

Comments (showing 1-42 of 42) (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Renée (maagtablet) | 32 comments So I noticed there wasn't a topic about Touch of Power, the first book of Maria's new 'Healer' series yet! So here it is:

Touch of Power
Laying hands upon the injured and dying, Avry of Kazan assumes their wounds and diseases into herself. But rather than being honored for her skills, she is hunted. Healers like Avry are accused of spreading the plague that has decimated the Territories, leaving the survivors in a state of chaos.

Stressed and tired from hiding, Avry is abducted by a band of rogues who, shockingly, value her gift above the golden bounty offered for her capture. Their leader, an enigmatic captor-protector with powers of his own, is unequivocal in his demands: Avry must heal a plague-stricken prince—leader of a campaign against her people. As they traverse the daunting Nine Mountains, beset by mercenaries and magical dangers, Avry must decide who is worth healing and what is worth dying for. Because the price of peace may well be her life...

The expected publication date is December 20th 2011! That's only 5 months and 5 days away!

I for one can't wait! And I'd love to know what the cover is gonna look like!

Lady Ozma | 141 comments I super can't wait!!! It sounds like a lot of intrigue and running for ones life which I think Maria does quite well! :)

I might have to preorder it. And then forget to take it to a signing. LOL

Kimberly (KimberlywithaT) | 67 comments Lady Ozma wrote: "I super can't wait!!! It sounds like a lot of intrigue and running for ones life which I think Maria does quite well! :)

I might have to preorder it. And then forget to take it to a signing. LOL"

*sigh* I would love to go to a signing with her. I don't think she's ever made it out to Utah though.

Lady Ozma | 141 comments Hmmm I wonder if she would go. She is delightful! I'm super lucky that she is almost always at Balticon, I look forward to my yearly chance at seeing her! I tend to wait to buy her books there because otherwise I forget to pack them! I'm so lame, I know.

You should see if any of your local conventions would woo her into coming. SLC has to have a con or two :-)

Misti | 4 comments Kimberly wrote: "I don't think she's ever made it out to Utah though."

Or to Seattle either! Maybe someday.

Lady Ozma | 141 comments Well I think she went to Worldcon in Arizona. Maybe I"m misremembering. There were a lot of names on that list. :) But I suppose it's all in making it worth her while. :)

But it's definitely easier to be on the same side of the nation. :)

Renée (maagtablet) | 32 comments you guys are so lucky to live on the same continent as Maria :(

Kimberly (KimberlywithaT) | 67 comments What does everyone think of the cover art? I'm not a big fan of the U.S. version... (It's okay, though) LOVE the UK one!

Renée (maagtablet) | 32 comments Same here! The US version is a bit to pink, but the UK version is so strong!!!

And I loved the first chapter (I read it in the newsletter, maria will post it on her site next week)

Misti | 4 comments I'm already hooked just reading the excerpt. Can't wait to get my hands on this. Avry seems like my kind of girl! I love healers too.

Amanda Book-Worm (ajtse) | 6 comments Agreed. I quite like the UK cover but the US one... not so much.

message 12: by Chocoholic (new) - added it

Chocoholic | 8 comments It's hard to comment on a cover. I know the author has little or no say about the cover which I think would be frustrating. Sometimes the art department gets is really, really right, and then other times I wonder what they were thinking. No matter what the cover looks like, I'm all for reading the content inside. :D

Sophia (SophiatheWriter) | 10 comments I ALWAYS like foreign covers better than domestic covers - why do we always get so screwed? It's like they think Americans are trashy or something lolol

message 14: by Weirdology (new) - added it

Weirdology | 1 comments I like the US cover. It's pretty. But I also like the girls pose on the UK version better. And that cloak! Wow!

Renée (maagtablet) | 32 comments The first review! And damn it's a good one! Now I really can't wait! http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 16: by Alethea (new) - added it

Alethea A (frootjoos) | 481 comments Mod
I get to kick off the Touch of Power tour on Wed, Dec 14 -- so watch http://www.readnowsleeplater.com -- You'll have a chance to win a copy of the book, and Harlequin will try to get it to the winner by Dec. 23 ;)

Kimberly (KimberlywithaT) | 67 comments I've been walking through the YA, Romance and Adult Fiction sections of the local B&N every time I go in, hoping that they put out the book early. So far, no luck.

Jasmine (Jasmineme) | 12 comments i LOVE the cover art, I only wish the story is as beautiful :)

message 19: by Alethea (new) - added it

I already read it--it did not disappoint :D

Kimberly (KimberlywithaT) | 67 comments Alethea wrote: "I already read it--it did not disappoint :D"

Brag brag brag. ;)

message 21: by Alethea (new) - added it

Hahahaha! :D You know it!

message 22: by Alethea (new) - added it

Interview is posted! Maria dishes on audiobooks, Julie Kagawa, returning to Ixia/Sitia, and of course, her new novel, Touch of Power

Enter to win a copy: http://www.readnowsleeplater.com/2011...

Giveaway ends Dec 20, 2011!

Kimberly (KimberlywithaT) | 67 comments I've completely lost faith in the local B&N. I've been waiting for Touch of Power to be released and then when I go to buy it, they aren't even carrying the book! And the ebook isn't being released until next year. :(

message 24: by Alethea (new) - added it

Hi Kimberly!
The eBook and the audiobook do have the release date 1/1/2012 which is a week and a half from now.

If they had been carrying the book though, they would have received it this morning. The only way really to convince a corporate store to carry a title they do not have is to have a large group of fans bug the same location for the same book all at the same time. Seriously, it's the only way I got Borders to do it and in a few months we sold several hundred copies in the Los Angeles region. :)

Kimberly (KimberlywithaT) | 67 comments Thanks, Alethea. :)

What's really odd is that they've carried all of Maria's books before this. They would always have a lovely display set up on the release date and books in at least three sections. (YA, Romance and Fantasy).

message 26: by Alethea (new) - added it

:) hopefully they will change their minds and get the book in. If you have friends who are Maria V. Snyder fans (or who might be persuaded to become fans ;D) I'd have them call and bug the store about it--not to the point of annoyance, but definitely to the point that someone in charge goes, "Crap, I should probably get that book in here."

Kimberly (KimberlywithaT) | 67 comments I think I'm going to do that.... I know of at least 6 people that I've personally introduced to her books and they probably know a few people as well. (If the condition of my books that I lent out says anything, they've been through many hands.

I just ordered it from Amazon UK (My favorite cover) so I'll just have to wait a bit.

message 28: by Alethea (new) - added it

I know, the UK one is my fave too! :D

Veronica | 1 comments I just won this book form the first Blog Tour stop! I'm so excited! I hope it's just as good or better then her "Poison Studies" series :)

message 30: by DeAnn (new)

DeAnn | 4 comments I got my copy of Touch of Power from Amazon on Thursday, and by Saturday morning, I'd already read it! It was a fast, and wonderful read, I enjoyed it so much!
The cover is GORGEOUS, BTW, and the characters are just as lovely, truly well-drawn and fascinating...I hope MVS is hard at work on the sequel, because I'd love to know what happened next.

Jasmine (Jasmineme) | 12 comments I started last night and stayed late reading...didn't want to leave it ..but I have work to go to, can't wait to the afternoon...I think I'll sneak the book to work and try to steel some moment to read :)

Rebecca | 7 comments I'm halfway through and it's amazing!

message 33: by JoJo (new) - rated it 4 stars

JoJo (jobird_bookworm) | 1 comments I love it!! I don't want it to end.

Rebecca | 7 comments I've just finished it and it was so, so good!
I still prefer Poison Study but this is a close second.

Jasmine (Jasmineme) | 12 comments will there be a discussion of the book, I'd like to know what everyone thought "in detail"

message 36: by DeAnn (new)

DeAnn | 4 comments I loved Touch of Power, though it is neck and neck with Poison Study as my favorite of MVS's books. Avery, the protagonist,is such a strong and believable character, and her relationship with Kerrick is so fraught with peril, yet still undeniable, that I fell in love with both characters right from the start. In fact, my only problem with the book is that it wasn't longer, lol! Really, I find Ms Snyder's novels addictive and delicious, just like cookies or pizza...one bite and I can't stop myself from reading into the wee hours to see what happens next! Oh, and I hated Avery's sister from the moment we met her, too, though I know we were supposed to think she was okay until she tried to kill Avery, but I thought she had that resentful, rat-like smell right from the get-go. As a writer myself (albeit non fiction, I'm a reporter) I truly appreciate MVS's rich, evocative prose and her clear, swift plots that don't get bogged down in exposition. As a bibliophile of 45 years who has read a lot of fantasy and science fiction, I also appreciate her dab hand at building worlds that I feel at home in, that make me want to go adventuring with her sterling characters. Another thing to love about MVS books is that the bad guys/gals are always despicable, they're not some wishy-washy "Oh poor me, I am forced by my circumstances/environment/parents to be bad, so you need to feel sorry for me as I kill everyone I encounter." Her bad people have made conscious choices to do terrible things for their own gain. So BRAVA Ms Snyder, as usual, you wowed me with your brilliant storytelling!

Kimberly (KimberlywithaT) | 67 comments I reviewed this for the blog that I'm an author on (multi-author blog, we're all college aged kids). Anyway, here is the link if anyone is interested. :)

Touch of Power Review

message 38: by DeAnn (new)

DeAnn | 4 comments Great review Kimberly, I agree with you 100 percent!

message 39: by Alethea (last edited Feb 29, 2012 12:33AM) (new) - added it

In case you haven't seen it yet:
http://youtu.be/UV9O3N1oUDc: Touch of Power Trailer

Jasmine (Jasmineme) | 12 comments Alethea wrote: "In case you haven't seen it yet:
http://youtu.be/UV9O3N1oUDc: Touch of Power Trailer"

hey Althea, nice to see you here, is there a chance we could have a discussion thread for the book, with spoilers and everything?

message 41: by Alethea (new) - added it

Jasmine wrote: "Alethea wrote: "In case you haven't seen it yet:

hey Althea, nice to see you here, is there a chance we could have a discussion thread for the..."

Your wish is my command! This is the spoilers thread: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/8...

Please continue to discuss without spoilers in this thread ^^ that we are in now.

Jasmine (Jasmineme) | 12 comments Alethea wrote: "Jasmine wrote: "Alethea wrote: "In case you haven't seen it yet:

hey Althea, nice to see you here, is there a chance we could have a discussio..."

wow, that was fast!!, like we say in my country "damn, why didn't I wish for a million dollars?!" :D

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Touch of Power (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Julie Kagawa (other topics)