Alpha Heroes & Spitfire Heroines discussion

Books we're reading > Any Outlander Fans?

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leia (new)

Leia Shaw (leiashaw) | 18 comments ***Contains Spoilers***

I was up till 1am last night sobbing like a baby when Claire chose Jaime instead of going back to the future. I know what the next book in the series is about but I'm afraid to read it. I don't want her to go back to Frank. I want her to stay with Jaime and live happily ever after!

What do you think? Should I read it?

Leia Shaw
http://www.leiashaw.com

message 2: by Zaanodes (new)

Zaanodes | 17 comments Leia wrote: "***Contains Spoilers***

I was up till 1am last night sobbing like a baby when Claire chose Jaime instead of going back to the future. I know what the next book in the series is about but I'm afr..."

I love that series. So, of course, I am going to tell you to continue reading.

Do you really want spoilers?

message 3: by Eastofoz (new)

Eastofoz | 666 comments Mod
Leia if you pop on over to the Historical Romance group I think they have an Outlander thread where you'll probably get a lot of info on the series :)

I hated Outlander (lol!) I absolutely hated Jamie :-o And I know I'm in the minority big time ;)

message 4: by Leia (new)

Leia Shaw (leiashaw) | 18 comments zaanodes, i already know they find each other 20 yrs later but that's heartbreaking to me. i've already been on such an emotional journey with this book (and i don't cry easily. only a handful of books have ever produced actual tears). and i don't know if i'll like the story as much reading about when they're in their 40's.

eastofoz, thanks for the tip. and you're not in the minority. if you ever look at the amazon reviews, it's pretty divided between those that love the book and those that hate it. most of the complaints were of it being too long and boring and then the part where jaime beats claire. i skim the boring parts and my love for the characters overrode my feelings about the beating.

Leia Shaw

message 5: by Eastofoz (new)

Eastofoz | 666 comments Mod
Yup, long and boring and the beating are all the things that really made me dislike the book and I didn't think there was enough romance :(

message 6: by Zaanodes (new)

Zaanodes | 17 comments I liked the rest of the books because I got to know the characters better and a whole host of other reasons. The dynamics deepen. I got invested in other characters. Without the 20 year separation, so many things would have been different. Their commitment to each other may not have been as deep or steadfast.

I really liked the series.

Speaking of other characters, I even have read all (I think) of the Lord John series.

message 7: by Leia (new)

Leia Shaw (leiashaw) | 18 comments ok. you convinced me. i'll try it. but if i'm disappointed, i'm blaming you. lol!

Leia Shaw

message 8: by Mirely (new)

Mirely (rumor_has_it) | 4 comments Why does everyone hate Jamie? When I read reviews of those who don't like the book they say they hat Jamie but don't understand exactly why.

I cried too at that very moment when Jamie took Claire back to the stones. I'm reading book two and I'm starting to think that perhaps Gabaldon should have stuck with just the one book. I'm going to read them because I placed it as a challenge to read them this year and they've been in my kindle for two years now. The books are entirely too long for the material I'm reading... I just keep thinking this will lead to something... it will lead to something soon... We'll see.

message 9: by Leia (new)

Leia Shaw (leiashaw) | 18 comments Why does everyone hate Jamie? When I read reviews of those who don't like the book they say they hat Jamie but don't understand exactly why.

I know. I LOVE Jamie! He's the perfect combination of pure and sweet, masculine and alpha. I adore him!

Oh, and I did more than cry...I was sobbing so much I woke my husband. But that's why I'm afraid to read book 2. I'm afraid it's going to ruin the story for me. I just want them to live happily ever after in Scotland. But if the other books add so much more to the story and characters, than it might be worth reading.

Does book 2 feel forced? I hate reading sequels that feel like they exist just to exist. They aren't natural for the story.

Leia Shaw

message 10: by Zaanodes (new)

Zaanodes | 17 comments I thought the series flowed well. It is their journey. Some good things. Some not so good things. And, of course, some bad things. Life isn't all happy. So the books have the ups and downs that life takes. And, just like life, it is not always fast-paced. "Everyday" happens. Then...upheaval...But through it all, they are together in mind and soul if not in body.

Blame me all you want...

You can't catch me! Na, na, na, na.

message 11: by Leia (new)

Leia Shaw (leiashaw) | 18 comments Lol! I guess I'll have to settle for shaking my fist at the computer screen.

Leia Shaw

message 12: by Mirely (new)

Mirely (rumor_has_it) | 4 comments Leia, I'm on book 3 now and let me tell you I am REALLY liking the way it's flowing. I like how Gabaldon chose to make this book flow! I'm barely on page 100 but so far so good...

message 13: by Leia (new)

Leia Shaw (leiashaw) | 18 comments Mirely, thanks. That helps. I just finished the first and I need a break from it. Gonna finish my Kate Daniels series now. Then I'll start book 2. I browsed it at B&N the other day and it looked interesting enough.

This is going to sound horrible but part of the reason I don't want to read it is because I know Claire gets pregnant. I read to escape real life. I have 2 young kids at home and I hate reading romance books that involve kids. I know, I'm terrible. But I want Claire riding through the highlands on horseback and fighting wolves with her bare hands, not getting morning sickness and swollen ankles. Lol!

But, I'm so in love with Jamie I'll have to read it. I suppose it helps that he's not the one blowing up like a balloon.

Leia Shaw

message 14: by Mirely (new)

Mirely (rumor_has_it) | 4 comments Leia, I think most of us read books to escape. I understand but trust me it's not what you are expecting when they talk about her being pregnant. Do what you got to do! Give yourself the break from this HUGE SERIES! LOL I need a break from so many words LMBO! Happy Tuesday Everyone! Enjoy :-)

message 15: by Elayne (new)

Elayne (elaynet) | 27 comments I think you've got to realise that Jamie lives in a different "time" and men were the dominant members of society then..having said that, Jamie is pretty forward thinking and Claire does come into her own. There were a few parts of this series I didn't like..the fact that he had a son, silly I know, felt like a betrayal and when he married..well, I wanted him be loyal to Claire all his life!! lol. On the whole the series was too long drawn out and I felt anxious for them in the latter books, not knowing what on earth was going to happen next. The older they got the more I had to adjust my mind to how they must look..not being the young vibrant couple they had been. Definately should have ended a lot sooner in my opinion.

message 16: by Leia (new)

Leia Shaw (leiashaw) | 18 comments I think you've got to realise that Jamie lives in a different "time" and men were the dominant members of society then..having said that, Jamie is pretty forward thinking and Claire does come into her own. There were a few parts of this series I didn't like..the fact that he had a son, silly I know, felt like a betrayal and when he married..well, I wanted him be loyal to Claire all his life!!

Jaime gets remarried?!?!? Ah! See? That's exactly what I'm afraid of. Not reading it. Nope. No way. That will break my heart. Lol!

The whole dominant thing doesn't bother me. It's pretty common in historicals and actually, considering the times, Jaime isn't really that dominant.

I'm an author (paranormal) and my men are very dominant. Oh. Just remembered what board I'm posting this on. Alpha males. Well then. You all should be used to that. Lol!

What about the side characters? I heard the later books in the series are less about Claire and Jaime and more about other characters?

Leia Shaw

message 17: by Zaanodes (new)

Zaanodes | 17 comments I wasn't going to do spoilers but...

The re? marriage isn't a marriage of the heart. So, don't get too caught up in that. Besides, remember Jaimie believes Claire is happy in the future with Frank and isn't coming back.

As far as side-characters, as an author, you know you can't write a very good story without a supporting cast.

I believe you are having anxiety about this series. Take it from me. I don't lie. YOU WILL LOVE THE SERIES!!

lolol

message 18: by Leia (new)

Leia Shaw (leiashaw) | 18 comments Seems so silly to get anxiety about finishing a series, doesn't it? lol! I don't know what's wrong with me. I get too wrapped up in my books. *shakes head* It's only make-believe. It's not real. Lol!

Leia Shaw

message 19: by Zaanodes (new)

Zaanodes | 17 comments Leia wrote: "Seems so silly to get anxiety about finishing a series..."

Not silly. It is a coping mechanism for me, focusing on something other than RL problems. It gives the mind a rest from RL, which is VERY necessary.

message 20: by Tarah (new)

Tarah (goodreadscomtlove52105) I've read all the books to date and Im impatiently waiting the next book. They were all amazing! I got so caught up in the story that I carried the book (whatever one i was reading at the time) with me EVERYWHERE just in case i had a few spare minutes. The story does get a bit slow at times but I feel that slowness is needed to really appreciate the faster pace. When I first started this series I didnt think it would be good after the first but I was so wrong. Im even thinking about reading her other Novels about Lord Jong Grey.

message 21: by Zaanodes (new)

Zaanodes | 17 comments Tarah wrote: "Im even thinking about reading her other Novels about Lord Jong Grey. "

I love the Lord John Grey books! That are NOT the epics that the Outlander books are. They are snippets of John's life. Most of them are shorts. They usually have a much darker feel to them. And they can be graphic with the m/m aspect. As John loves Jaime, his encounters are NOT HEA and can be quite cold.

That being said, I will repeat. I love the Lord John Grey stories!!

message 22: by Tarah (new)

Tarah (goodreadscomtlove52105) Zaanodes wrote: "Tarah wrote: "Im even thinking about reading her other Novels about Lord Jong Grey. "

I love the Lord John Grey books! That are NOT the epics that the Outlander books are. They are snippets of Joh..."

In the beginning I didnt like John Grey at all..for obvious reasons with Jaime, but I really started to Love him toward the end so I think I really might enjoy those books. :)

message 23: by Zaanodes (new)

Zaanodes | 17 comments I hope so!

message 24: by Mirely (new)

Mirely (rumor_has_it) | 4 comments Without giving too many details... Does Jamie ever travel back to Claire's time?

message 25: by Sam (new)

Sam | 13 comments no. He doesn't have the "time-traveling" capability.

message 26: by Trixie (new)

Trixie (trixiebombshell) Leia wrote: "***Contains Spoilers***

I was up till 1am last night sobbing like a baby when Claire chose Jaime instead of going back to the future. I know what the next book in the series is about but I'm afr..."

It took me a years to read all of the books... they were wonderful!!!! I found the first three on the discount rack on a NJ boardwalk. I picked them up because they were a series (I love series), it was book 1,2 and 3 and they were thick. I figured it would be good summer beach reading. Well I was surprised!!! In the fall I was on amazon looking for the next two (Drums of Autumn and Fiery Cross). I had to wait a bit for A Breath of Snow and Ashes. And then to my surprise... Book 7 Echo in the Bone. I have to say the last was a harder read because it had been a while since I read the other books. And now I see an 8th book is to come out! I can not wait! I have the entire set in print. I don't normally keep my books, I either lend them out or donate them to a second hand book store. These books I will keep forever. Jamie and Claire are by far the most romantic couple I have ever read!

message 27: by Leia (new)

Leia Shaw (leiashaw) | 18 comments Thanks Valerie. I agree. They are romantic and I love them.

Leia Shaw

message 28: by Tierra (new)

Tierra Jenkins | 2 comments It’s crazy that this is a series now. Any fans of the show on here? How does it compare to the books?