Guilty Pleasures discussion

Samuel Delany

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mare (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:12AM) (new)

Mare | 2 comments Okay, my friends, I obviously need to catch up on my SD. Where should I start?

message 2: by Hiram (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:12AM) (new)

Hiram | 12 comments Mod
I'm new to the science fiction so not sure how to advise on that front, but I'm a big fan of his nonfiction. Both Times Square Red, Times Square Blue and his memoir, The Motion of Light in Water, are great. The Times Square Red book is a critique of the disneyfication of Times Square and a record of the kinds of community (especially interclass) made possible by the area's gay male movie theaters and public sex culture. It also documents how development in the name of "family values" was used ultimately to displace working-class people and small businesses to make way for corporate and elite interests. The discussion on HIV is also elucidating, especially his analysis of how the rhetoric of "safety" has often veiled an assault on queer sexualities.

message 3: by Hiram (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:28AM) (new)

Hiram | 12 comments Mod
now that Conrad has brought up Gorgik kicking it nambla-style, i'm wondering if anyone has read Hogg?

message 4: by Cassiel (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:01PM) (new)

Cassiel Hiram, Hogg is one book of Delaney's that I am reluctant to read, and I managed to make it through Phallos. Whew.
I regard the two books you mentioned above with awe, especially Times Square Red..
BTW, if you haven't read it by now, you should not be intimidated by the size of Dhalgren; the barefoot boy in rags and tatters will pull you right in.

message 5: by Kristen (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:08PM) (new)

Kristen | 2 comments I can't stop thinking about a short story I read by Delaney, but I can't remember where it was published. The memorible scene for me was the narrator having sex with a homeless man. Anyone know what ss and what book that was? As a fan of lesbian mysteries, i sometimes LONG for gritty sex scenes. I can't beleive how many lesbian books have NO sex. shhesh.

message 6: by Cassiel (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:08PM) (new)

Cassiel I don't know specifically what book or collection you may have read that story in, but it sounds like it could well be an excerpt from The Motion of Light in Water.
Delaney perseverates, for lack of a better word, in his stories and memoirs, about his ideal sex partner: large, not overly clean, and especially attractive if he has calloused, grungy hands. Delaney is all about gritty.

message 7: by Charles (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:01PM) (new)

Charles | 4 comments If you can deal with the sex (men on kids) in it, and can find a copy (I think it's out of print), Tides of Lust is a book you won't forget in a hurry.

Yes, I remember the sex with the homeless man scene as coming from The Motion of Light on Water as well.

message 8: by Ghym (new)

Ghym | 3 comments I am a HUGE fan of Mr. Delany's and Times Square Red, Times Square Blue was the book that hooked me. It covers the 30-odd years Delany spent frequenting the area when it was a place of adult movie theaters. He makes the excellent point that when Giuliani tore up the area, an entire culture suffered--a culture of gay men who relied on the area as a meeting place and a place to do business. I have read Motion of Water and it is great though crazy long. Rarer still is Heavenly Breakfast a short book about his time in a hippie band in the psychedelic 60s. I have never read his science fiction, but I understand he is talented in that area also. He wrote (I think) about a love affair with a homeless guy in Bread and Love, a graphic novel illustrated by Mia Wolff.