Goodreads Ireland discussion

Quarterly Irish Read Nominations > August - October Irish Read Nominations

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Keith (new)

Keith Kelly (nedkelly) Hey Guys.

It's time to nominate our next quarterly Irish Book. Let's hear your ideas...

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll nominate Skippy Dies

Iuliana Naughton | 46 comments I'll nominate The Stray Sod Country by Patrick McCabe . It's been on my shelf for a while now...

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 22, 2011 12:50PM) (new)

I'd like to nominate The Brothers' Lot by Kevin Holohan. It's a satire about the Christian Brothers and the Catholic Church. I light of recent events with Enda's speech, I thought it would be somewhat topical.
The Brothers' Lot by Kevin Holohan

message 5: by Roberta (new)

Roberta | 78 comments Has anyone read A Great Feast of Light: Growing Up Irish in the Television Age. I'm Canadian so what do I really know about Ireland but I do know I liked theis very much. Oh and Niall Williams. His As It Is In Heaven is brilliantly written. All three above also look good.

message 6: by Laura (new)

Laura | 258 comments Roberta wrote: "Has anyone read A Great Feast of Light: Growing Up Irish in the Television Age. I'm Canadian so what do I really know about Ireland but I do know I liked theis very much. Oh and [au..."

Declan wrote: "I'd like to nominate [book:The Brothers' Lot|9668166] by Kevin Holohan. It's a satire about the Christian Brothers and the Catholic Church. I light of recent events with Enda's spe..."

Iuliana wrote: "I'll nominate The Stray Sod Country by Patrick McCabe. It's been on my shelf for a while now..."

Declan wrote: "I'd like to nominate The Brothers' Lot by Kevin Holohan. It's a satire about the Christian Brothers and the Catholic Church. I light of recent events with Enda's spe..."

Roberta wrote: "Has anyone read A Great Feast of Light: Growing Up Irish in the Television Age. I'm Canadian so what do I really know about Ireland but I do know I liked theis very much. Oh and [au..."

Roberta wrote: "Has anyone read [book:A Great Feast of Light: Growing Up Irish in the Television Age|801046]. I'm Canadian so what do I really know about Ireland but I do know I liked theis very much. Oh and [au..."

Declan wrote: "I'd like to nominate [book:The Brothers' Lot|9668166] by Kevin Holohan. It's a satire about the Christian Brothers and the Catholic Church. I light of recent events with Enda's spe..."

The fact that the Vatican has cut diplomatic ties with Ireland should increase interest in the book. I want to read it now.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

It's a fairly recent book, and I thought it would relevant if not topical. I have a lot of hope for it.

message 8: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Dunn (httpwwwjsdunnbookscom) | 335 comments Just tossing this one out for consideration along with those above (any or all of these are fine with me):
On Canaan's Side: A Novel; not a new release but currently has Sebastian Barry listed for the Man Booker prize.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I never thought of it, but I love Sebastian Barry's work. We've all ready started the polls, unfortunately, but great suggestion.