Goodreads Ireland discussion

Previous Monthly Reads > Spoilers Discussion: The Road

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Keith (new)

Keith Kelly (nedkelly) If you've read and finished the book and want to chat about it without spoiling for anybody, this is the place to do so.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I didn't think I'd enjoy it as much as I did. I loved it from the start. I thought I'd get sidetracked by the fact that I saw the movie first, by constantly comparing them.

I think as valiantly as the movie tried, it couldn't convey the misery of the surroundings and the devastation caused,and the atrocities committed, by the survivors. Also, The movie didn't relate the dreams that the man had and some of flashbacks really added to the misery, such as the burning of the snakes.

I think the dialog was spot on. The laconic exchanges were exactly how I would have imagined a father and son who spent 24/7 eking out an existence would communicate.

I will highly recommend this book to other readers in the future.

message 3: by Joe (new)

Joe Dunne (joedotdunne) This is one of my fave books of the year. The way the author describe the unrelenting desperation of their position while still making the reader want to continue on is very well done.

I wouldn't recommend reading this on your own in a deserted train station however, I did and got a wee bit spooked!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I was expecting a better discussion about this book. Where is everybody?

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

It's holiday season.

And on the few days we have good weather it's nice to get out rather than sitting inside.

message 6: by Jessi (new)

Jessi Did anyone else cry at the end I found it so heartbreaking, I knew it was coming but it was gutwrenching just the same. I found it shocking how simple the dialogue was but it was dramatic and perfect for this story.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I was touched by the man's death. I've never cried over literature before, but it was very moving. Especially having the final conversation in that simple dialogue. The boy had become so dependant on his father, who made all of the decisions, that you really felt how lost he now was. Very moving.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

The questions I had when I finished the book were:

What country were they in? I assumed is was America but I don't recall the book saying so.

Also, were they really going anywhere, or was the dad just giving the boy false hope?

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Another question.

What had happened to Earth, had there been a nuclear war or was it a natural disaster??

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I think, in terms of what caused the catastrophe, that he was being deliberately vague. I think it would have detracted from the rest of the story by raising too many questions.

I'm positive that they were in America. The dialect, the descriptions of the countryside, the huge train and the bunker all say America, to me. And there's the fact that they were able to walk south for so long to reach the warmer coast.

There was one moment when the man was thinking about the difficulty of the journey, that he concluded that they wouldn't last another winter where they were, and later on, as they've almost reached the coast, the man has doubts as to whether or not the situation would be any better at the coast; Whether or not the trip was worth it. I'm sure it was more than false hope.