Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Paranormal Romance > Night World by L.J. Smith

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeannie (last edited Jul 15, 2011 01:46AM) (new)

Jeannie (thegenie) | 15 comments Okay, I read this whole series in like just one month because it was that good back in 2009. Now I am here waiting on the release of the final book, Strange Fate. The whole delay of the final book is driving me crazy because I really want to know what happens in the end.

For all of you fans of Night World who just want to blog, discuss, and/or just talk about how it all might end, post it all here!!

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 608 comments Gosh it's been quite awhile since I read them too so hard to speculate how it might end if I can't remember what is happening. I haven't forgotten ENTIRELY though. I guess I need to put these on my "reread pile".

message 3: by Mairead (new)

Mairead | 164 comments The pushed back the release of strange fate, once again, from late 2011 to 2014...

Will she just admit she isn't writing the damn thing already? :@ It's infuriating.

Mlpmom (Book Reviewer) (mlpmombookreviewer) | 839 comments She is probably taking a break after having Vampire Diaries taken away from her. I wouldn't blame her. that whole thing was pretty messed up.

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 608 comments I agree on that Mairead.

message 6: by Mairead (new)

Mairead | 164 comments Mlpmom wrote: "She is probably taking a break after having Vampire Diaries taken away from her. I wouldn't blame her. that whole thing was pretty messed up."

She hasn't written anything good since the mid-nineties, so I doubt a TV series, which honestly is better than her books, would stop her.
The secret circle looks nothing like the books either. But it looks good.

Nightworld is great, and I do enjoy the other two series', TVD AND TSC, but she doesn't have an excuse for waiting over 15 years to publish the last book in a series.

Mlpmom (Book Reviewer) (mlpmombookreviewer) | 839 comments No I didn't mean the TV series, I meant how they told her that she could no longer write the Vampire Diaries books. That another author was taking over her work/series. They basically took her creation away and is now giving another author free rain over it.

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 608 comments Her last couple of Vampire Diaries books were IMO not anywhere near as good as the early ones. It was like they were written by someone else.

I really liked the Night World books, LOVED The Forbidden Game, Night Visions was good and did not like the Secret Circle at all. But different strokes, right?

Mlpmom (Book Reviewer) (mlpmombookreviewer) | 839 comments Yeah, I haven't read them all yet I will admit, but, like you said, some were better than others. I like her work but I can only take it in small doses. I read something every now and then.

message 10: by *Ash* (new)

*Ash* (ashdex) | 73 comments I believe she's already written the book, it just hasn't been released! I mean the last Night World book was written, what 10+ years ago. I'm highly frustrated with the arrival of this book... I get it Vampire Diaries and the upcoming Strange Fate TV series surely get more priority, but people have been waiting for Night World for 10 years.

message 11: by Jeannie (last edited Jul 15, 2011 07:21PM) (new)

Jeannie (thegenie) | 15 comments Mlpmom wrote: "She is probably taking a break after having Vampire Diaries taken away from her. I wouldn't blame her. that whole thing was pretty messed up."

WAIT WHAT?!?! I didn't know that, how could they just do that? I loved how TVD book series was going, what if the new author just messes everything up? Like, I know that I haven't read the whole thing in a while now (*couch, cough* 3 years, but still. I agree with you Mlpmom, they just gave her creation away to some stranger!

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 608 comments I am not sure I understand that situation but if I have it right, she was hired originally to write the TVD books, so the rights to the story never belonged to her. Is that right? Which is different than an author doing a book themselves.

message 13: by Jeannie (new)

Jeannie (thegenie) | 15 comments OMG! Okay, so away from the fact that L.J. Smith's books are now being taken away from her, who is your favorite characters from her Night World series?
Mine is Jez from Huntress, I just love her sassy attitude, and her very independent personality!

Mlpmom (Book Reviewer) (mlpmombookreviewer) | 839 comments Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) wrote: "I am not sure I understand that situation but if I have it right, she was hired originally to write the TVD books, so the rights to the story never belonged to her. Is that right? Which is differ..."

I think it was her idea though she just never actually owned the rights to it somehow. But yeah, they had the right to take it away from her because of her contract with them.

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 608 comments A lot of people thought the last TVD book or two were not anywhere up to the quality of the earlier ones and I would imagine that affected their decision. But who knows - it might have all been political - or money.

It's been so long since I read The Night World books I can't remember the individual stories that well. I have them all and should re-read them - some time.

message 16: by Mairead (new)

Mairead | 164 comments Love jez and morgead, thea and eric, quinn and rachelle, the witchlight atoru, no.9, and ash and mary lynette in book two :

message 17: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 429 comments this is so frustrating! i NEED the final book now! i HATE not knowing how it all ends! *grr*

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 608 comments Every once in awhile Amazon sends me an e-mail to find out if I still want to wait on it....It's still on there to notify me....

message 19: by AlbertaJenn (new)

AlbertaJenn Okay, just to clear up some confusion for all of you:

The original concept and the characters for The Vampire Diaries were created by a company called Alloy Entertainment. This company holds the copyright to the charcters and first 4 books of the series, as well has the rights to option for TV/movie and merchandising. They are also the masterminds behind Gossip Girl, Pretty Little Liars, The Clique, and Monster High LJ Smith et al are hired by the company to actually write the books based on outlines the company provides. They are emploees of Alloy, and are paid a flat fee.

About 15 years ago, LJ Smith had some personal problems come up (her brother-in-law was ill and her mother passed away). Alloy allowed her to take some time off from writing VD to deal with these. Now, all these years later, she had writing negatively about them on her blog because they would not let her have creative control of the series (which was their own creation to begin with). Add to that the fact that they gave her over a decade off to deal with family problems, and Alloy was probably thinking that Smith was biting the hand that fed her (so to speak). So they exercised their right to replace her with another author. Honestly, I don't blame them.

Now, Secret Circle and Nightworld do belong to her. I am unsure why she is taking so long, but from what other fans have said to me, she is not finished writing Strange Fate. Apparently, she has mentioned still working on it on her blog.

For more info: http://www.alloyentertainment.com

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 608 comments Thanks. Makes sense and a bit of what I had heard - definitely that TVD was not hers.

message 21: by Jeannie (new)

Jeannie (thegenie) | 15 comments Oh My Gosh, that makes a lot more sense. Thanks AlbertJenn.

message 22: by Jeannie (new)

Jeannie (thegenie) | 15 comments Mairead wrote: "Love jez and morgead, thea and eric, quinn and rachelle, the witchlight atoru, no.9, and ash and mary lynette in book two :"

Ash and Marylynette are such a cute couple! I also like Rashel and Quinn from The Chosen.

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 608 comments I saw an ad last night on CW for their new series in the fall, Secret Circle...

message 24: by Jeannie (new)

Jeannie (thegenie) | 15 comments Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) wrote: "I saw an ad last night on CW for their new series in the fall, Secret Circle..."

It looks really good! i cant wait to see it when it comes out in the fall!

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 608 comments I'm excited to have something new to watch and CW does a good job with their shows. And also gives them a chance and generally does not cancel them immediately like the major channels seem to like to do. I didn't like the book all that well, but it could make a good series. They do such a good job with casting.

message 26: by Jeannie (last edited Jul 24, 2011 05:33PM) (new)

Jeannie (thegenie) | 15 comments I agree! I see that many channels cancel very good shows but if Secret Circle do well (it will! i can already see that) it'll probably win many fans like Vampire Diaries!

message 27: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 53 comments I agree i read the book series and i cant wait for the show to start :)