The Sword and Laser discussion

Fuzzy Nation (Fuzzy Sapiens #7)
This topic is about Fuzzy Nation
2011 Reads > FN: Audiobook - Wil Wheaton is Reading Me a Story!

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Anne Schüßler (anneschuessler) | 839 comments Since I cannot *not* read a book picked for the book club, I picked up Fuzzy Nation. I couldn't find a Kindle version and currently I'm way to lazy to consider reading anything not available for the Kindle. Instead I decided to actually try this audiobook thing. I had tried once before with a different book and couldn't quite get into it, and I probably wouldn't have tried Fuzzy Nation if it wasn't read by Wil Wheaton, which just adds a million friendly Geek & Awesomeness points to the whole thing.

I'm about 25% in and really, really enjoying it. I can't really compare it to other audiobooks, since this is basically my first one, but I like the pace in which he is reading and I can thankfully follow along well. (Just one incident where I was temporarily distracted by the internet and apparently missed something, but never really found the right place to start over, so I'm just going along with it. Bad internet!)

Is anybody else listening to the audiobook? Any thoughts? I'd like to hear from people who listen to audiobooks regularly and can compare the style to other audiobooks.

message 2: by Michael (last edited Jul 15, 2011 02:57AM) (new) - added it

Michael (the_smoking_gnu) | 178 comments Anne wrote: "(Just one incident where I was temporarily distracted by the internet and apparently missed something, but never really found the right place to start over, so I'm just going along with it. Bad internet!) "
I can only do simple things while listening to an audiobook without getting distracted (housework, cleaning, cooking, shopping, sport, taking public transport,..), but somehow when I don't do anything my mind starts to wonder.
Since I finished Oryx and Crake and Fearless and I am looking for a new book, I might give Fuzzy Nation a try.
But it's read by Wesley Crusher... ;)
Neil Gaiman is a great narrator Neverwhere (Audible Sample) and I am a big fan of John Lee Pandora's Star (Audible Sample).

message 3: by Dan (last edited Jul 15, 2011 08:32AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan (daniel-san) | 101 comments Anne wrote: "... I probably wouldn't have tried Fuzzy Nation if it wasn't read by Wil Wheaton, which just adds a million friendly Geek & Awesomeness points to the whole thing.

I'm about 25% in and really, really enjoying it."

Very cool, I'll add it to my Audible wish list. Wil's a cool guy and I enjoyed a couple of books he wrote a few years ago.

Michael wrote: "... I am a big fan of John Lee (Pandora's Star) ..."

Good to hear as I just bought it from Audible! It's still on sale for $8.95, I think. John Lee is one of my favorite narrators (most notably Pillars of the Earth and Revelation Space) so it was an easy choice.

Robert H (chiroho) | 25 comments Anne wrote: "I couldn't find a Kindle version and currently I'm way to lazy to consider reading anything not available for the Kindle"

That's strange. I clicked on the link to Amazon from the book page on Goodreads, and then selected "Kindle Edition". Maybe it's only available in the US? Either way, if I had the opportunity to listen to audio books I definitely think I'd choose one read by Wil Wheaton given the opportunity.

Haven't started the book yet, but will try and do so today so I can share my thoughts.

Anne Schüßler (anneschuessler) | 839 comments Robert wrote: "Anne wrote: "That's strange. I clicked on the link to Amazon from the book page on Goodreads, and then selected "Kindle Edition". Maybe it's only available in the US? Either way, if I had the opportunity to listen to audio books I definitely think I'd choose one read by Wil Wheaton given the opportunity."

Might be a US thing. I live in Europe. I can shop in the Amazon.com store, but some Kindle books are not available for customers in Europe. Sometimes I can't even really find the Kindle version and sometimes I just get a message that it's not available for customers in Europe. It's sad.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2898 comments Wil is doing a great job. He has a nice chewy voice and it pairs well with the short sentences and imaging the animals in the story. I downloaded from Audible instead of Overdrive so I could listen at 1.5x speed, so it sounds like he's in a bit of a rush. I like how Scalzi himself was excited to have Wil read it.

As far as how it compares to other audio books, it absolutely has to be a good narrator plus one heck of a story for me to keep paying attention. I start a lot more audiobooks than I finish! I also have figured out what else I can do while listening to one - cleaning sometimes. Cooking and driving always. Anything else pulls me away and I lose what was happening. Some mindless games I can do, like Luxor on the iPad, but nothing with words!

Sandi (sandikal) | 1212 comments I'm taking a break from gardening right now. I'm listening to an audiobook while planting.

message 8: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael (the_smoking_gnu) | 178 comments I'm about 25% in and for my part Wil Wheaton's narration is perfectly fine. Unfortunately, even though John Scalzi has tried to update the source material, I can sense the age shining through.
Wikipedia describes Little Fuzzy as "a work of juvenile fiction" which advocates "a gentle kind of libertarianism that emphasizes sincerity and honesty".
I hope Fuzzy Nation has more to offer than a wagging finger, cute animals, an evil corporation and a clichéd flawed hero who will save the day. (I'm only 25% in.)

Michael (michaelbetts) Why didn't I listen to this on Audible?!?!

message 10: by Anne (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anne Schüßler (anneschuessler) | 839 comments Sodon wrote: "Why didn't I listen to this on Audible?!?!"

Good question.

message 11: by Peter (last edited Jul 22, 2011 10:57AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Peter Hansen (ptrhansen) | 57 comments Michael wrote: "I'm about 25% in and for my part Wil Wheaton's narration is perfectly fine. Unfortunately, even though John Scalzi has tried to update the source material, I can sense the age shining through.
Wiki..."

I finished listening to the book just before I learned it was the alternate pick and there is a minor spoiler so I will tag the answer as a spoiler. (view spoiler)

I also wanted to add that I bought John Scalzi's other book Agent to the Stars during the audible sale (which may still be going on) because it was also narrated by Wil Wheaton.

message 12: by Rick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rick Reynolds | 3 comments I'm also in the camp of reading whatever is chosen by the club. I'm behind on the Ice and Fire stuff, so while I'm catching up I grabbed Fuzzy Nation. I read Little Fuzzy a few years ago, but didn't remember many details.

I'm so psyched that the audible.com version of Fuzzy Nation includes a copy of Little Fuzzy as well! I didn't notice that when I bought it (if it was shown in the detail). Like I indicated, I just get whatever the current book is. It'll be fun to go through the original story again.

message 13: by Wilde (last edited Jul 28, 2011 08:51PM) (new)

Wilde Sage | 11 comments This will be my first S&L book, the last few I wasn't into and just started A Game of Thrones, needless to say, I won't get to #5 for a long while. xD

Anyway, as far as audiobooks, my first experience was with The Hobbit. I first picked up the book from the library when I was 10 or 11. I was always reading many grade levels ahead, but something about the Hobbit, the writing was so... heavy for me at the time, getting through it was so sluggish, I would pass out or completely lose interest before I could get through the first chapter, but I REALLY wanted to read it and get through the story, as LOTR: FOTR was hitting theaters soon and it was blowing my mind. I had to know what lie in these pages about these funny little people called Hobbits, so I went back to the library and checked out the book on tape (actual tape, at that point, no mp3s at my library!) and read along in the book while listening to the tape. I flew through chapter 1, then chapter 2, and so on, and just couldn't stop. In the end, the Hobbit captured the title of My Favorite Book of All Time.

And to think, I never would've gotten past chapter 1 if it wasn't for the audiobook (well, I would've, but maybe not for several more years). They get the thumbs-up in my book!

EDIT: Wow, just realized I totally misread the question. Well, I hope it made a nice story, lol. Maybe I'll pick up the audiobook for Fuzzy Nation as well!

Boots (rubberboots) | 499 comments I own a copy of The Hobbit on tape, someone gave it to me years ago but I never listened to it. In fact the only audiobook I ever listened to was actually a radio play but it was amazing; it was The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: The Complete Radio Series and if you ever get the chance to listen to it I highly recommend it.

message 15: by Noel (new) - added it

Noel Baker | 364 comments Boots wrote: "I own a copy of The Hobbit on tape, someone gave it to me years ago but I never listened to it. In fact the only audiobook I ever listened to was actually a radio play but it was amaz..."

Agree about HHGTTG. I have read all the books but THE best way to experience it is by the original radio plays. Absolutely brilliant.

message 16: by John (last edited Aug 08, 2011 10:03PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

John | 43 comments I can't tell if it's Wheaton, Scalzi or me, but is everyone in this book a smart ass? Is this what Scalzi meant about bringing in 21st century sensibilities? And isn't Carl the same dog from Agent to the Stars (another good Wheaton audio of a Scalzi cast of smart asses)? Talk about recycling characters.

Oh, and Wheaton does a fantastic job on the audio book. Lest I leave you with the wrong impression with my smart ass questions above.

message 17: by Tamahome (new) - added it

Tamahome | 6352 comments All of Scalzi's characters are urbane with great vocabularies.

message 18: by John (new) - rated it 3 stars

John | 43 comments Tamahome wrote: "All of Scalzi's characters are urbane with great vocabularies."

I had only read a couple of his books previously (Old Man's War and Agent to the Stars) but, yeah, that's about right. I don't recall getting the same sense from Old Man's War.

message 19: by Keith (last edited Aug 12, 2011 11:20AM) (new)

Keith | 25 comments Wil reads the book? Thats it, I'm sold on a trial!

*edit* Just made my account, used the podcasts promo of course, and its downloading now.

message 20: by Anne (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anne Schüßler (anneschuessler) | 839 comments Keith wrote: "Wil reads the book? Thats it, I'm sold on a trial!

*edit* Just made my account, used the podcasts promo of course, and its downloading now."

Yeah, that's what sold me, too. I was very sceptical, but it was totally worth it.

Robert Russell | 2 comments I got the audio book. I needed to use my last audible credit before i killed the account. I hope I enjoy it.

message 22: by Tamahome (last edited Aug 17, 2011 09:32AM) (new) - added it

Tamahome | 6352 comments Wil Wheaton reads Ready Player One Ready Player One by Ernest Cline as well. Seems to be popular.

Peter Hansen (ptrhansen) | 57 comments Tamahome wrote: "Wil Wheaton reads Ready Player One Ready Player One by Ernest Cline as well. Seems to be popular."

I saw that on Wil's blog and this is my credit pick for this month. It sounds fun with all the 80s and geek references that the reviews say are in there.

message 24: by Jared (last edited Sep 05, 2011 07:51PM) (new)

Jared (jared_king) | 51 comments A good listen. Although the continual 'holloway said' 'Isabelle said' started to grate on me. (view spoiler)
Sorry Jenny!! This reminds me of a Terry Pratchet novel, you know the witch who answered before the question was asked?

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2898 comments Um.. Spoiler?

terpkristin | 4190 comments Jared wrote: "A good listen. Although the continual 'holloway said' 'Isabelle said' started to grate on me."

Yes! That drove me nuts, too.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2898 comments Was it better when he was reading their IM conversation and stated each name before each sentence? ;)

terpkristin | 4190 comments Actually, yes, because those sentences were typically longer than 2 words. Though funny you mention the IM conversation because I had the thought that the IM conversation was much like the dreaded "he said" stuff.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2898 comments That is one strange thing about the book, really, that they communicate so much in text when the rest of their bodies are fully engaged in The Oasis. Wouldn't that include their voices?

Peter Hansen (ptrhansen) | 57 comments Jenny wrote: "That is one strange thing about the book, really, that they communicate so much in text when the rest of their bodies are fully engaged in The Oasis. Wouldn't that include their voices?"

I remember Artemis saying she preferred to communicate via text because she could edit what she meant rather than by voice which she could blurt out anything.

Kerry (pubcav) I listen to audiobooks every second I'm in the car. I never thought I would like them but now it's just another way to read along with "real" books and my Kindle. Wil Wheaton is a great narrator! I first heard him when I listened to Agent to the Stars which I absolutely loved. Then I listened to Fuzzy Nation (good), and just finished Ready Player One which I also loved. Wil can really do that sardonic voice so well.

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2501 comments I hope Wil reads the upcoming Redshirts: A Novel with Three Codas by John Scalzi.

message 33: by Kamil (new)

Kamil | 372 comments sorry, Will Wheaton is still redeeming himself in my eyes for his apperance in "the big bang theory"

message 34: by Nick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nick (whyzen) | 1295 comments Kamil wrote: "sorry, Will Wheaton is still redeeming himself in my eyes for his apperance in "the big bang theory""

That would put you in a fairly small minority that believes his appearance in anyway would require forgiveness. Sorry Kamil. I love "Big Bang Theory". It is one of the few shows that bother to get any part of geek culture correct and aren't still using one dimensional stereotypes from the 80's. And yes I do realize it still is using stereotypes but the show fleshes them out more than any before and is still really funny.

message 35: by Kamil (new)

Kamil | 372 comments Nick wrote: "Kamil wrote: "sorry, Will Wheaton is still redeeming himself in my eyes for his apperance in "the big bang theory""

That would put you in a fairly small minority that believes his appearance in an..."

but jar jar binks has nothing to do whith star trek

Elzibub Wil is also a co-reader with Kate Reading in the Audible.com audiobook for Boneshaker by Cherie Priest. Boneshaker He narrates the voice of the son. It's a fantastic book that I recommend everyone read. It's in the steampunk vein & was my first foray into that genre.

I did read both Fuzzy Nation & Ready Player One as well - both very good.

message 37: by amanda. (new)

amanda. (abigail_redhouse) | 3 comments Jared wrote: "A good listen. Although the continual 'holloway said' 'Isabelle said' started to grate on me. [spoilers removed]
Sorry Jenny!! This reminds me of a Terry Pratchet novel, you know the witch who answ..."

I had the same issue. I really loved the book on Audible and Wil Wheaton is great, but I felt like it stopped the natural flow of the dialog. I think I would have skipped over it in reading, but it was a little glaring at times. I still loved the book though!

Casey | 654 comments I think Wheaton is a great narrator. He doesn't put himself before the text/story and has a tallent for capturing the moment-dynamic within a scene.

Casey | 654 comments So there seems to be a lot of folks that aren't fans of the "he/she said" dialogue tags. I for one find them the cleanest way to identify the speaker. But what would you rather see as dialogue attribution if not the "she/he said?" Action makes the character look like a fidgety puppet, no tag gets confusing unless you have a solid writer... so what is left?

message 40: by amanda. (new)

amanda. (abigail_redhouse) | 3 comments I think there could have been substitute words (mentioned, questioned, asked, interjected, etc.), but also Wil is a strong enough narrator that I could follow the dialog without it. Plus Scalzi sets up the scene so well that I find "he/she said" superfluous. Just personal preference in writing style.