Memoirs of a Geisha Memoirs of a Geisha discussion

Who loved to hate Hatsumomo?

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Elizabeth Barone As much as I wanted her out of the picture so that Chiyo/Sayuri could thrive, I have to admit I kind of enjoyed the trouble that Hatsumomo stirred up. I wish that things could have been different between Pumpkin and Sayuri, though; I think Pumpkin could have been a lot less bitter about Sayuri being adopted instead, considering it was out of either of their hands, and it's not like Pumpkin really suffered because of it.

But anyway, I kind of missed Hatsumomo once she was out of the picture.

Chantell  Petrell Yeah, I'd have to agree with you there. She was a rather spicy character. (;

Elizabeth Barone Chantell wrote: "Yeah, I'd have to agree with you there. She was a rather spicy character. (;"

She really was!

Martina It is bad that i did not even hate her?:D
She is my favourite character.
Oh yeah,she is quite horrible...but i enjoy it greatly:).

Shay I was mad when she left too! I liked her as the antagonist! I really enjoyed reading about her.

Franny I HATED Hatsumomo, she was horrible and the type of bitch I would want to avoid. But=-), she is that bitch that will make you tougher and every time she did something horrible, my heart sped up and I felt like she was doing it to me, so Hatsumomo definitely added that adrenaline to the story.

Kelly She was fun to hate. At the same time, I thought she was a pretty epic character. XD

Sheree A well established character. But isn't it when the author is able to establish such a character and get the target audience to react the way that they want you to that they have achieved their objective. There is no point creating a character that is supposed to instil abject loathing in the reader and not achieve it. I loved the character Hatsumomo and thought that the actress in the film was absolutely stunning and really pulled off the role.

message 9: by Lady (new) - added it

Lady I wouldn't say I liked her or really hated her for that matter. It was amusing to watch her go off the deep end though. She was obviously a headcase from the get-go and mameha's scheme to get rid of her worked perfectly because of it. She basically had a target painted on her forehead in a lot of ways.

Marina Fontaine Yeah the book pretty much went downhill for me after she left. I never undestood why she was SUCH a bitch towards the main character but was otherwise popular with everyone else (except her rivals of course).

message 11: by Lady (new) - added it

Lady Hatsumomo is a sociopath. The book makes that pretty obvious if you know the signs to look for. They are very good at hiding what they are from the general public, only the people who are around them when they kinda of like..let their guard down like when they're at home that actually might have an idea that something is wrong with them.

Sorry for the pychological analysis, I'm reading The Scociopath Next Door right now. If you're interested in that kind of thing its an awesome book.

message 12: by Esther Fanny (new) - added it

Esther Fanny part of me liked Hatsumomo. one of a woman who knew how to stand on the ground, had a competitive - soul. looked so powerfull but completely fragile inside.

but part of me didn't like her. in part, she treated chiyo was horrible. As a japanesse woman,she had no any respect to anyone,she thought that she was the only one.
and didn't mean to judge but the way she acted expressed that she was " a Slut ".

message 13: by Bee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bee I agree. To be totally honest, I disliked Pumpkin MUCH more than I ever disliked Hatsumomo. I enjoyed Hatsumomo's character, even if she was a bit of a pill

message 14: by Esther Fanny (new) - added it

Esther Fanny yeah.... talk about Pumpkin, what a Pitty girl.
she didn't know what she wanted for life, nonethless she did, she had no " wit " how to make it true. had no unbounded courage to fight her life. then she ended up as a " trully Bitch " and the most was she tried to embarrass chiyo and deceived her ( regarding Mr. Chairman )

Natalia I think Hatsumomo was not bad because she was born that way.Life must have been cruel to her(just see Sayuri's story,how she was taken away from her family,and then she had to deal with the difficult and demanding life a geisha leads,something similar must have happened in Hatsumomo's case as well!)and she waa bitter,so she became a succesful geisha to prove to herself that she can make it even when anyone she loved abandoned her.And then came Pumpkin and Sayuri!she wanted to destroy them,in different ways.Pumpkin was never able to escape Hatsumomo's lead until she left,and Sayuri almost had her career as a geisha ruined because of her.Conclusion?well,I disliked Hatsumomo,but I liked her energy,beauty and ability to seduce.:D

Priya When I first read this book I did hate Hatsumomo but then when I re- read the book many a times I felt she would have her side of the story too and maybe she did not really realise how mean she was becoming to others around her - Everybody has their grey shades - Sayuri used Pumpkin too - Hatsumomo just had a darker grey side ...

Jennifer Nelson As much as I hated the things that she did, I couldn't help but feel pity for her. It illustrates so well how different personalities react to being trapped.

Elizabeth Barone Sheree wrote: "A well established character. But isn't it when the author is able to establish such a character and get the target audience to react the way that they want you to that they have achieved their obj..."

Honestly, I didn't really like the movie. The on-screen Hatsumomo didn't come close to the one in the novel, but she was all right I guess.

Elizabeth Barone Esther wrote: "yeah.... talk about Pumpkin, what a Pitty girl.
she didn't know what she wanted for life, nonethless she did, she had no " wit " how to make it true. had no unbounded courage to fight her life. the..."

I still say that Pumpkin had no reason to betray Sayuri like that. Luckily, things worked out for her anyway, but still. There was no need to continue the rivalry once Hatsumomo was out of the picture. I liked Pumpkin and felt bad for her up until then.

message 20: by Adria (new) - added it

Adria Yes she was definitely intresting even though she cause everyone a lot of grief. But I also felt sorry for her to because all she wanted was to be loved, but of course she couldn't. And she definitely jealous of Sayuri/Chiyo.

message 21: by B (new) - rated it 5 stars

B I loved her character because she was fighting to love normally in a world where she could not really control that. It made her anger that much stronger, because she realized everything she reached for was eternally out of her reach.

I don't make comparisons between books & movies. The movie was good for what it was and the book is greater for exactly what it is. Although I do like Gong Li as a choice for Hatsumomo, she's played some very strong characters and generally her attitude throught was really good.

Kimberly I LOVED hating her :D ugh she was SUCH a bitch and it was so satisfying when karma bit her in the ass. I loved it and the novel would've been so much less without her, you know a character is really well written when they can evoke such strong emotions in you.

message 23: by Art (new) - rated it 4 stars

Art Lowell Probably one of the best fiction villains I've met. Wouldn't be nearly so much fun without her.

Monica I actually like the character and love the actress in the movie. I wish though she could have had the happy ending that the main character had bc they both were fighting for the right to love and be who they wanted to be.

message 25: by Tru (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tru I really hated Hatsumomo. She just seemed like such a horrible person to me. From another perspective though I thought she was a very good antagonist, so my feelings about her are mixed.

message 26: by Tru (last edited Mar 27, 2012 07:20PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tru Kimberly wrote: "I LOVED hating her :D ugh she was SUCH a bitch and it was so satisfying when karma bit her in the ass. I loved it and the novel would've been so much less without her, you know a character is reall..."
I totally agree about this; when a character evokes strong emotion, good or bad, you can tell they are definitely a strong presence and personality.

Kirby Monica wrote: "I actually like the character and love the actress in the movie. I wish though she could have had the happy ending that the main character had bc they both were fighting for the right to love and b..."

yeah, I sorta liked her, too- and I definitely felt sorry for her.

Elizabeth Barone Art wrote: "Probably one of the best fiction villains I've met. Wouldn't be nearly so much fun without her."

Same here. I loved her as a villain!

I'm excited that this discussion is still going. Hooray for Hatsumomo love/hate!

Andrew Herren She was a great character and I really hated her! She was certainly a force to be reckoned with and smart. I have to admit though that I felt sorry for her and Pumpkin both by the end of the book.

Ashanti Miller I felt sorry for Hatsumomo in the end. What a sad fate. If you were used all your life, you would be a horrible person too.

Reeses Pieces Hatsumomo was a bitch and a childish one at that but every story needs its antagonist. In the end I did feel sorry for her when she was denied the place because she really did work hard for it. ;)

Nikkitaronins i loved her

Kayla Wow I think Hatsumomo was the most enjoyable antagonist ever.

message 34: by Bao (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bao I feel sorry for her in the end.. although she acted so meanly, I still love her. She is my favorite character.

message 35: by Joi (new)

Joi Dallas Hatsumomo was great. She made the story for me and wouldn't have liked the book as much without her presence. I thought they cast her really well in the movie.

Kirby Joi wrote: "Hatsumomo was great. She made the story for me and wouldn't have liked the book as much without her presence. I thought they cast her really well in the movie."

I agree, that actress was great!

Nicole She was a bitch, and she did it REALLY well
Her undoing was bitter sweet.

Elizabeth Barone Nicole wrote: "She was a bitch, and she did it REALLY well
Her undoing was bitter sweet."

I agree. I kind of felt bad for her, but she also got what she deserved. It was so much fun to hate her.

message 39: by Luxia (last edited Jun 30, 2013 07:47AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Luxia Hatsumomo was definitely my favorite character in the entire book. Chiyo just came off as pathetic to me personally, at least Pumpkin wasn't as selfish and only wanted a home to call her own. Hatsumomo was totally sacrificed just for the sake of Golden's Cinderella story and Sayuri´s happy ending. I felt that all of the characters had to suffer just for she could be with the chairman. Anyways, Hatsumomo was what I like to call the perfect villian. She was beautiful, mysterious, clever, funny, and just oh so unnecessarily nasty. But Elizabeth is right. She got a taste of her own medicine for all the messed up things she did throughout the story, I got my jollies when I got to the part of her downfall and watched her literally go crazy. I also agree with Lady, she was clearly a Sociopathic person. I didn't feel sorry for Hatsumomo and her demise as a Geisha or tragic fate after leaving Goin because of the simple fact she had no one to blame but herself. If she was kinder and treated everyone at the Okiya with better respect...I don't think mother would have been so quick to toss her out on to the street like that. But since Hatsumomo wanted to go about every situation in such a scandalous manner...it was her own fault. She ruined her own reputation as no one wanted anything to do with her due to her obvious mental breakdown that she brought upon herself. So she had no one else to turn to...she basically got exiled from Gion. KARMA IS A B! The only sympathy I had for her was when her lover Koichi dumped her...but that's about it.