!The Young Adult Book Club! discussion

Debates > Hardcover, Paperback, or ebook?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 90 (90 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (patrick_castro) I personally like hardcovers, since its more nice and protected. What do you prefer?

Debate!! :]

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

PAPERBACK! (:

message 3: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (patrick_castro) Paperback!!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Paperback for bigger books and small books. Hardback for average page :)

message 5: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (patrick_castro) But why does paperback take forever to get published!!!!"!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I have no clue! I love hardback :p

message 7: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (patrick_castro) I know right!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Is the nook handy? i dont have one, but then again i dont think i would like one. I like the feel and the smells of new books and the apperance of old used books :)

message 9: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (patrick_castro) Its ok for me but love holding a book! Don' t know why but I'm probably to attached to them!! But what I like about a nook is that book prices are cheaper and you own them forever unless you lose you barnes and noble account!

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

me too! And i love the feel of the crisp new pages. :)
geez im such a book nerd

message 11: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (patrick_castro) Lol!

message 12: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (patrick_castro) Lol!

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

:P

message 14: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (patrick_castro) Paperback!

message 15: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) Hardcover! Ebook if it's a book i don't care to have a physical copy of but hard cover all the way. So much more protected, spine is a bit stronger, pages aren't damaged as easily.

message 16: by Kasi (new)

Kasi Blake (kcblake) | 18 comments I was a hard sell when it came to electronic books, but I love my Kindle now. Agree with Irene though. If it's something I want to have signed by the author or treasure and hand down to my kids, hardcover. Otherwise I love Ebooks. They don't make a huge mess in the corners of my house.

message 17: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) And books I have as ebooks I sometimes ending up buying them as hardback books.

message 18: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (patrick_castro) Me too!

message 19: by Eoin (new)

Eoin | 25 comments Patrick wrote: "But why does paperback take forever to get published!!!!"!"

Becuase hardcovers cost more. People want to make more money. The paperback version of the book usually come out a year after the book is published. Paperback are my favorite because when I stuff them into my backpack full of textbooks and notebokks. It is light and takes up the least amount of space.

message 20: by James (new)

James (theadventurousbookreader) | 51 comments E Book!

message 21: by Em~Lost In A Dream~ (last edited Oct 09, 2011 05:04PM) (new)

Em~Lost In A Dream~ | 208 comments A tie between paperback and hardcover.I think the hardcovers are fancier,though.

message 22: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (patrick_castro) Hardcover love since I can read with the book jacket with this cover I have so yes love hardcovers!

message 23: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) Hard cover, i just take the book jacket off so it doesn't get damaged when i travel. Paperback are easier to get damaged.

message 24: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (patrick_castro) True!

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Irene wrote: "Hard cover, i just take the book jacket off so it doesn't get damaged when i travel. Paperback are easier to get damaged."

lol i do the same thing with the cover! I thought it was just me. :P

message 26: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) Nope :) my bf does it also

message 27: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (patrick_castro) Cool!

message 28: by Primadhani (new)

Primadhani Galih (moccaslova) | 4 comments i prefer ebook since i live in small city in indonesia so you hardly find good books here. moreover ebook mostly in english and i'm now trying to improve my bad english, so yeah, ebook

message 29: by Lori (new)

Lori | 58 comments Real, live books! Hardcover or paperback, doesn't matter, it's a book, right?!

message 30: by Nola (new)

Nola Lightman (nola_lightman) Grey wrote: "For me it depends on the book, if its one I'll keep (read again) and add to my collection -Hardback, if its one that I may or may not read or keep - Paperback.

But I also like the convenience of ..."

I heartily agree. Although most of my favorites (paranormal romance) comes in mass-market paperbacks. These I'll want in paperback and e-book. If a title comes in hardback, I'll buy that too. Of course, it has to be a title/series I love to read over and over again. Otherwise, if I find the series or book is just okay, I won't buy it at all. Most of the time I'll borrow a title/series I'm curious about from friends or family or the library. I have to really like the story and characters for me to invest in it.

However, I'm avid collector of fairy tales, children books, YA series, etc. Again, if I love the story/series (i.e. Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, Vampire Academy), I'll want them in hardback, paperback, and ebook. What can I say, I need backups. :-)

message 31: by Lynn (last edited Nov 22, 2011 03:01PM) (new)

Lynn Olujare (furlynn) i am like a person who only reads with a physical book. i do not like the nook at all, and yes i have tried it. i love the feel of turning a page, smelling the book, feeling the soft paper each time i flip a page. anyway, i prefer soft cover because they are more flexible, but if i see a book i like and its in hard cover, i really don't care. soft covers are just less weight and i love bent bindings.

message 32: by Haley (new)

Haley | 3 comments Paperback!!! :)

message 33: by Sofie (last edited Nov 25, 2011 07:36AM) (new)

Sofie | 1 comments I like paperback and hardcover books. But somehow I don't really like eBooks because they don't feel like "real" books to me. You can't smell the scent of a freshly printed book (I love this "book-scent", though it sounds a bit weird to smell books =) ) and on top of that I find it's tiring to read on a small computer screen.

message 34: by Chu (new)

Chu (chucha) | 2 comments I love paperbacks, they're cheaper than the hardbound ones and quite handy.

Although I also like ebooks, I can carry 100 books in 1 kindle which weights to almost nothing - not to mention, I can save trees as well =)

message 35: by Nate (new)

Nate All of the above.

message 36: by J.R. (new)

J.R. Wagner (jrwagner) | 6 comments Hardcover! I'm a book hoarder and they keep much better.

message 37: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 154 comments Hardcover looks better on a shelf, but i like Paperback more.

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

J. wrote: "Hardcover! I'm a book hoarder and they keep much better."

hahaha same here J.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

I prefer hardcover because theres a built in bookmark! paperback is lighter but i love hardcover better!

message 40: by Valencia (new)

Valencia (empowered) | 57 comments I use to detest the thought of eReaders and e-Books because I love my books. I love seeing all the books I've read and collected. And I loved asking my parents for a new bookshelf so I could challenge myself to fill up the open spots. I don't really care for hardcovers. They’re heavy and expensive so most of the time I'll pass unless it's a new release that I have to have. I hate messing up the pages of my paperbacks. I don't like bending pages to bookmark my favorite parts or to remember where I left off, and trying to highlight my favorite parts drove me insane. So I loved the Nook Color I use to have. Besides I was tired of people looking at me crazy when I took 4 to 5 books with me on trips. With an eReader your entire library can fit in your purse (or gym bag lol). Besides my favorite books/series I have in print and eBook format, and I still buy paperbacks when I'm in a book store and find a book I can not put down!!

message 41: by Mallika (new)

Mallika (Mallikas22) I love books in general, paperback and hardback. But e-books, i just; to enk=joy the book, I need to feel it; smeel the crisp pages, feel the paper. I also can't focus AT ALL while reading books online.

message 42: by Mallika (new)

Mallika (Mallikas22) Lilli wrote: "I like paperback and hardcover books. But somehow I don't really like eBooks because they don't feel like "real" books to me. You can't smell the scent of a freshly printed book (I love this "book-..."

Thats exactly how i feel!!!! you just took the words out of my head. :)

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

I love paperbacks. They can fit everywhere and it's more comfortable to hold!

message 44: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 154 comments Hiyam wrote: "I love paperbacks. They can fit everywhere and it's more comfortable to hold!"
Agreed! Hardback books feel awkward when you're holding them, and the covers constantly slide off.

message 45: by Sayyeda (new)

Sayyeda (literaryhues) | 52 comments Hardcover :D

message 46: by Karmina (new)

Karmina Santos (kahminah) | 2 comments If I really really like the book I prefer it to be hard cover, I also like paper backs though. The only problem with paper backs is that sometimes the book's spine acquires creases which as a book enthusiast, I'd really dislike to have. On the other hand, EBOOKS ARE JUST A NO NO!

message 47: by Cristina (new)

Cristina (moonandpeach) Paperbacks! So portable, lightweight, just perfect for carrying around. I definitely prefer actual books to ebooks, however I am finding it more and more difficult to resist the convenience of my nook color which allows me to carry an arsenal of books and magazines (and sudoku) with me everywhere I go, and highlight and bookmark without damaging one of my precious gems. Still love my books, always will... my apartment is small library and I like it like this. :)

message 48: by Sonya (new)

Sonya (sonyaskibicki) Paperback.

message 49: by Haley (new)

Haley | 3 comments paperback!!!

message 50: by Valencia (new)

Valencia (empowered) | 57 comments I change my mind: a book is a book as long as I can read and enjoy the story, because pickers can't always be choosers. The world is changing might as well ride the wave. (:

« previous 1