The Outsiders The Outsiders discussion

"Nothing Gold Can Stay"

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mounica (last edited Sep 24, 2008 05:02PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mounica What do you think it means? How does the poem relate to Johnny and Ponyboy?

Lucia Allen I think it refers to an episode in their lives where life is golden in a sense. They will never be the same again,not better not worse just different.

message 3: by Pandora (new)

Pandora I agree with Lucia. I think it is talking about being able to look at life with a freshness and innocence - the way Ponyboy was at the begining of the story. By the end though because of what happens the world has become a darker place for Ponyboy. Ponyboy is wiser and able to see his oldest brother better but, he has lost his some of his innocence and freshness. It is sad but, it is also necessary. Ponyboy though does seem to follow Johnny's advice and remembers the golden time and not allow it to be completely lost.

Which is what we all have to do. Become green but, not forgot what it was like when we were golden. Sort of like the advice of Verdi - a picture book.

Brigid ✩ I LOVE THE OUTSIDERS!!! WOOT! And I wrote an entire essay on this very topic in eighth grade. Not kidding. XD

Basically, the "gold" is this sort of innocence and ability to appreciate the beautiful things about life. But as a person grows up, he/she starts to lose that gold and become "green" and unfeeling, only seeing the negatives in life. So someone like Dally, for example, is totally "green" and doesn't see a point in life. But Ponyboy is still young and "gold", and still takes the time to see the beautiful things in the world. So when Johnny tells Ponyboy to "Stay gold", he's telling him not to forget what life is about, and that there are still good things in the world.

:'( sniff ... this is making me cry.

lol XD

message 5: by Pandora (new)

Pandora That's is it Brigid. I did a graduate paper for my Master in Library Science on The Outsiders. Topic why it shouldn't be banned. Used Victor Hugo's Les Mes to defend it.

Brigid ✩ Cool. ;D

Maddy! I think it represents growing up. A lot of the Greasers never got the first part of the poem, they never got a good childhood. I think that this is what Johnny means when he says that he doesn't want to die because it is too early.

Kandice You guys are sooooo smart! I think that's exactly what is meant. There are so many examples in literature where an especially innocent, or golden, character dies young. It's almost as if they are just too good to change. "Only the good die young" kind of thing

message 9: by Chris (new) - added it

Chris Bowen johnny already said what it means in the movie and in the book!

Kimberly The poem means everything is new when your young, when you grow older you view things different.You have to appreciate everything while you still have it.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Kimberly wrote: "The poem means everything is new when your young, when you grow older you view things different.You have to appreciate everything while you still have it."

exactly..lol

message 12: by Sophie (new) - added it

Sophie L. I agree with Johnny about what the poem means. I think it means you are gold when you are a kid, everything is new and exciting to you and you cant wait to learn and see more. But when you grow up and things stop being so exciting.

Kristine I think it means that nothing neew is going to stay new like if a baby was born the baby isnt going to stay a baby forever and everything gets old thats what i think at least

message 14: by Lexie (new) - added it

Lexie Colbert "Nature's first green is gold," - The first of spring is very precious.
"Her hardest hue to hold." - The hardest part of the year that last.
"Her early leaf's a flower;" - In spring the leafs are "But only so an hour." - But it only last a few days.
"Then leaf subsides to leaf," - The flower turns into a leaf
"So Eden sank to grief," So mother Nature is sad.
"So dawn goes down to day" - The days go by and fall comes.
"Nothing gold can stay" - Nothing precious can stay.

In other words hold on to the things you love cuz one day they will leave you. Such as Life, love ones, money.

message 15: by J.T. (new) - rated it 5 stars

J.T. Bock I agree that Johnny sees the poem as talking about staying innocent like a child, seeing the world through new and hopeful eyes. He wants Ponyboy to keep his childlike wonder and hope that life will get better, because Ponyboy has the ability to break the cycle of poverty in his family. He doesn't want Ponyboy to become corrupted by the world and fall prey to what happened to their friends and to what happened to Johnny. That's why his last words are "Stay gold."

One of my favorite lines in a book.

Grace I loved this line! To me it means that not everything in life stays. Things change but we have to learn to appreciate what we have when we have it. Kind of like Ponyboy's innocence. He still sees good in the world and Johnny likes that about him and wants him to keep that perspective of the world.

Sarah Johnson I loved this book and read it over and again. It was one of the first novels that really made an impression on me as an adolescent. I agree that the quote means that things change, what's good can pass, like much of what's good in the character's lives passes in the course of the novel.

Maria Hold on.... Sorry I'm trying to wipe away my tears from my face. The poem is so good, I always tend to cry. Jus give me a sec...
Kk I'm better. Sorry 'bout that. I'm better now. I'm reading this with my class in eighth grade now and it's so good. We had to do a test on it and this was a question. When you are young, you're green, when you appreciate things, then you're gold. That's basically what it means. (view spoiler)
Imma write the poem right now, so don't mind me.

Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down into day.
(dramatic pause. Wait for it....Wait for it....)
Nothing gold can stay.
--Robert Frost

Ambrogio What's gold cannot exist forever\normally in every-day life. Otherwise it wouldn't be gold. The meaning of this is that whatever you have in your life is not gold for the simple fact that you have it, but whatever comes for a short period then goes is gold. It's like the weather (since Ponyboy loved sunsets), the sun is here throughout the day and the moon is here throughout the night, but the sunset is only there for minutes which is what makes it "gold" and you feel relaxed when looking at it. If it was sunset 8 hours a day you wouldn't consider it something magical\different\relaxing\"gold"

Jessica Blair I think it means that those beautiful things in life are temporary and that like a sunset, it will go away. like a child they are gold when they are little and as jonny said in the movie "everything is new" we grow up that gold goes and its no longer new and magical.

Jessica Blair Marmalade4evs wrote: "Hold on.... Sorry I'm trying to wipe away my tears from my face. The poem is so good, I always tend to cry. Jus give me a sec...
Kk I'm better. Sorry 'bout that. I'm better now. I'm reading thi..."

Marmalade4evs wrote: "Hold on.... Sorry I'm trying to wipe away my tears from my face. The poem is so good, I always tend to cry. Jus give me a sec...
Kk I'm better. Sorry 'bout that. I'm better now. I'm reading thi..."

I love that poem, makes me cry every time.

Vandita I also have to do an essay on this topic, and that is why I am reading this discussion.
I think it means that Johnny expects Pony to be gold, but he has seen and done too much to be innocent. Johnny was expected to be innocent because he was the conformist, the one who was thought to be quiet and scared. However, he did kill a guy, which shows that innocence does not ever last and never will.

Jessica Blair Have you finished the book yet?

Vandita Yes i did! We watched the movie today

Jessica Blair Vandita wrote: "Yes i did! We watched the movie today"

I hope you liked both the book and the movie despite the differences.

Vandita I think the movie was not as good as the book though. We have to do a movie critique and I gave it a 6/10

Jessica Blair The book was amazing ! i had to read it for high school but i also liked the movie and could relate to the charachters.

Jessica Blair Vandita wrote: "I think the movie was not as good as the book though. We have to do a movie critique and I gave it a 6/10"

The book was amazing ! i had to read it for high school but i also liked the movie and could relate to the charachters. But you still have to keep in mind when the movie was made the technology for special effects was not as advanced as today.

Vandita true; good pointer

Jessica Blair Sophie wrote: "I agree with Johnny about what the poem means. I think it means you are gold when you are a kid, everything is new and exciting to you and you cant wait to learn and see more. But when you grow up ..."
Well coming from an adult there is still some gold after you grow up but you just have to be able to see it for example gold for me was having my kids each was different and it was something that i had never done the point is you have to be able to see things in life as gold. Overall you have it right but there is always gold to be had you just have to see it. I hope you can take comfort in that.

Vandita I love that explanation! I agree

Jessica Blair Vandita wrote: "I love that explanation! I agree"

Thank you so much :-) I hope you can remember that there is always gold as you grow up and are able to see it too. Good luck on your paper!

Jessica Blair Oh and Vandita the movie was made in 1983 i was 8 i'm 41 now so it was old when i was in grade 8 too but it is one of my favorite movies from when i was young and i still love it even now pony boy actually has white hair now.

tamia watts i think it means that being gold is pure and new and prone to the distraction and horrors of the actual world like Johnny. he stayed the same no matter what happened. he did not adapt to his environment and became someone like dally. johnny was the innocent the one of the group and when he killed the soc, he changed a little. the outside world changes the innocence and pureness in anyone and that is why nothing gold can stay

Jessica Blair you have to look around and see the good in things even if thngs don't seem good there is always beauty in something.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

this quote predicts that johnny will die

message 37: by Guoguo (new)

Guoguo this is from Robert Frost. As suggested in the peom, something gold is beautiful but transitory, as a budding leaf, as the Eden Garden before Adam and Eve fell. As in child, the gold thing is innocence which is admirable and yet will soon fade away. They lost the innocence in them when Johnny killed Bob in defense of Pony and they ran away to hide in the derelict church. They was jostled out of their innocene and came to realize that they were capable of killing too.
However, the lose of innocence is not necessarily a lamentable thing. Flower-like budding leaf is about to go through flourishing of the late Spring, maurity of the summer, harvest of the fall and tranquility of the winter. And then the cyclical rytheme repeats again in eternity.

Joyita At my school, we were told to interpret the poem and everyone had a different answer. Some were really deep while others merely grazed the surface of the meaning.

To me, I believe the poem is about innocence.

"Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold"

Innocence is hard to maintain. The thought that everything is good in the world can be demolished after a few minutes. We live in a world of tragedy.

"Her early leaf's a flower,
But only so an hour"

Like I said before, one's innocence and purity can be ruined in the smallest amount of time. Think of it this way. You have a large pool of white water, but you accidentally spill in some black liquid. The water has now been tainted even if it was a little bit.

"Then leaf subsides to leaf,
So Eden sank to grief"

I know that this part is about the garden of Eden, but I didn't know about that when I first read the poem. I don't know much about the Christian faith, but would love to learn.

When I first read this line, I thought it was about someone coming to terms with what they've just learned about the world. How everything isn't sunshine and rainbows. There's pain and darkness wherever light shines. This can be overwhelming if a person hasn't been exposed to this.

"Then dawn goes down to day,
Nothing gold can stay."

These last two lines hit me the hardest. They were so pure and true. I thought that these two lines referred to the fact that a person couldn't have a pure child-like mindset, that their white water will always have a little black spilled in.

Overall, Robert Frost's poem, "Nothing Gold Can Stay" is one of the most beautiful pieces of literature that I've ever read, and I'm sorry to the people that have read through this whole thing. (I know I'm wordy.)

Thanks!