Kissing the Witch: Old Tales in New Skins Kissing the Witch discussion

Thoughts on this book.

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Hannah I read this book semi-recently. I rather enjoyed it. It was interesting to figure out what tales she was spinning into something new. I loved the fact that the characters drifted into the their stories for the next chapter.

I would love to hear you profound (and not so profound) thoughts on this book, if you would be so kind as to share them with me. Please, I enjoy book discussion.

Erika Nerdypants I read this book a few years ago, but I remember it as one of my favourites. I loved her prose, her spin on the stories.

Hannah Yes. I agree. I looked for other works written by her but didn't come up well. Do you know of any others by her?

Debbie Slammerkin was a great book, I recently read Room and enjoyed it...I also have Life Mask on my shelf waiting to be read. She is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors.

Hannah Oh, I thank you for your help. :) Have you read "Stir-Fry"... thats the only one I could find by her. :\

Susan I just finished reading this book. Here is my short review: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

Hannah Susan wrote: "I just finished reading this book. Here is my short review: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/..."

Susan: I entirely agree with your review. Thanks for sharing.

message 8: by Mary (last edited Nov 27, 2012 01:42PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary I love Emma Donoghue. Stir Fry is a very early work of hers, a slender coming-of-age novel in which a naive and very young first-year university student begins to discover herself. Donoghue is most certainly a lesbian novelist (she also has published important works of literary scholarship on the long history of female same-sex desire), but I would call most of her fiction queer, in that alternative sexuality, or its possibility, shines a light on alternative ways of being social, on ways of creating alternative historical worlds. Kissing the Witch is about that, too. Most of Donoghue's writing is sexy rather than sexual--a very good example is her one outright romance, "Landing."

Hannah Mary wrote: "I love Emma Donoghue. Stir Fry is a very early work of hers, a slender coming-of-age novel in which a naive and very young first-year university student begins to discover herself. Donoghue is mos..."

Hey There! Thanks for the input! I will have to go read "Stir Fry" :)

message 10: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary I hope you enjoy it--it's quite poignant, but not overly dramatic.

Linda Kelly Have just got a copy of Frog Music which I am really looking forward to reading. I really enjoyed this book though I couldn't help comparing it to the writings of Angela Carter and am afraid I still prefer Ms Carter's work. I would recommend these stories though to anyone who has an interest in fairy tales....especially subversive ones.