Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Issues with Quotes > Commentary in quotes?

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David Glasgow (davidmglasgow) | 28 comments Hi all--

I was just about to merge these two quotes:

http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/searc...

...but before I do I have a question about the shorter one. The parenthetical "in a reply letter to a then unknown Walt Whitman" may or may not be true, but what is certainly true is that the longer version is taken directly out of Emerson's second series of Essays.

My questions, then, are these:

1. If the letter to Whitman appears in a published volume, shouldn't the quote be linked to that book in the GR database, and the parenthetical removed from the quote itself?

2. If the letter is NOT published, does the quote really belong in the GR quotes database, regardless of the "notability" of its author?

3. Should context like this EVER be included in a quote? (To my thinking, adding unverified context to a quote does nobody any favors.)

I'll leave the quotes as is for now, but unless anyone has any objection my thought is to go ahead and merge the quotes, replacing the shorter version with the longer, and eliminating the parenthetical....?

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42456 comments Mod
1) Agreed.
2) Well, if the letter were unpublished, how would anyone know it exists?
3) I would say no.

I would go with the merge you planned.

message 3: by David (new)

David Glasgow (davidmglasgow) | 28 comments 2. Um... riiiiiight....... (Clearly hadn't thought THAT one through!)

Thanks, Rivka. :-)