The Sword and Laser discussion

A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, #5)
This topic is about A Dance with Dragons
2011 Reads > ADWD: finished and ready for the next one... GUT WRENCHING SPOILERS

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Eric Gardner | 113 comments (view spoiler)

Kate O'Hanlon (kateohanlon) | 778 comments (view spoiler)

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Dead things in the woods. Dead things in the water. Oh yes.

(view spoiler)

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Something else about the book. For me, what was utterly brilliant about the first four books of the series was this: we, as the reader, understand the characters' motivations when their compatriots do not.

What I mean by this is that someone like Jamie Lannister, who I utterly, utterly hated at the start of A Game of Thrones, I end up having some sympathy with as the story progressed.

Not all the characters have redemptive arcs (Sweet Cersei amongst them, perhaps), but I don't think I found my opinion/understanding of any of the characters in A Dance with Dragons fundamentally changed from where I'd left them at the end of A Feast for Crows.

So, for me, this book advances the plot (if you can call unspooling a gazillion strands of conflicting agendas 'advancing'), but doesn't really advance the characters themselves.

I mean, we could argue that Jon grows into his command... but we expected that, didn't we? I s'pose we can make a case for (view spoiler), but other characters pretty much move along the same trajectories as before.

message 5: by Zach (last edited Jul 16, 2011 06:46PM) (new)

Zach Walls | 4 comments (view spoiler)

message 7: by Eric (last edited Jul 18, 2011 03:57AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nevan | 143 comments It's 3am, I've just finished the book, and in my zombie-like state the only words passing through my head are "literary blue-balls." Thanks a bunch, S&L!

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

@Zach (view spoiler)

message 10: by Zach (last edited Jul 20, 2011 12:25PM) (new)

Zach Walls | 4 comments @eric barristan is a amazing character, cant wait to see what he pulls off with the squad of knights he has been training a squad of bolds!

@ala yeah manderlay is a gangsta lol and 6 pieces!

message 11: by Skip (new) - rated it 3 stars

Skip | 517 comments Do we really need to hide things behind the spoiler tag, given the thread title? I'll do it, but I think it is silly.

(view spoiler)
With the cast of characters growing, this is starting to feel like a WOT book, they even had baths!

Nathan (forjay) | 51 comments Jon: (view spoiler)

The Wall: (view spoiler)

Andrew (frontline) | 129 comments Could Jon's death and rebirth be a way for him to get away from the wall without being an oathbreaker? I believe that it is a guarantee that the wildlings will riot over Jon. I believe that Wun Wun's killed the Knight after he and some other wildlings learned what the watch was planning.

Jared (notthatjared) | 17 comments On John: Total Ned deja vu for me all throughout this book. He tries to do the right thing and pays for it. He's my favorite character, so I hope his story will continue.

And, oh yeah, Bowen Marsh and company are screwed.

On Barristan: More please!

On Dany: The alternate title to her chapters could be "How Dany Got Her Groove Back". Loved it.

On Tyrion: Penny(is that her name?)and her optimism really brings balance to his sort of unraveling, almost nihilistic death spiral. Can't wait for him to meet Dany.

On Arya: Should now henceforth be referred to as Bat-Arya. If she's being trained by Westerosi Ra's al Ghul I wouldn't be upset or surprised.

On Bran: That's all we get!?

Andrew (adrew) | 426 comments Andrew wrote: "Could Jon's death and rebirth be a way for him to get away from the wall without being an oathbreaker? I believe that it is a guarantee that the wildlings will riot over Jon. I believe that Wun Wun..."

You think it was a thought out response? I feel it's more likely they (Wun Wun and anyone else) just stumbled onto something. Either way I do think Jon will be around in some form. Who knows maybe the great Other takes over his body and he leads the Ice side against Danny. So many ways GRRM can spin this.

message 16: by Doug (new) - rated it 5 stars

Doug (dougoftheabaci) AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Sorry, I really had to get that out of the way. I read that chapter at 4AM and nearly screamed.

Half the responses in this thread have spoiler tags and the other half do not and given the level of spoilers not hidden and the title of the thread I'll not bother, myself.

I can see them not giving much time to Bran. Now that he is where he is, he's going to take some time before his influence can be felt through the trees. However, I think it already was. When Theon was in the Godswood, for example. I also remember something about the crows, but I don't remember specifics.

Anyway, I hope the predictions of Jon returning are true. He and Tyrion are my favorite characters (Danny being a close third).

As for the wildings destroying the Night's Watch, who will guard The Wall if they do? I'm not saying they won't, but will the wildings take over custody of The Wall?

message 17: by Eric (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eric Gardner | 113 comments Doug wrote: "As for the wildings destroying the Night's Watch, who will guard The Wall if they do? I'm not saying they won't, but will the wildings take over custody of The Wall? "

Aren't they just going to become night's watch like everyone else on the wall?

Andrew (adrew) | 426 comments Doug wrote: "Half the responses in this thread have spoiler tags and the other half do not and given the level of spoilers not hidden and the title of the thread I'll not bother, myself."

Sorry if I/we inadvertently spoiled anything for you. Hard to know protocol when the thread title is "finished and ready for the next one...GUT WRENCHING SPOILERS".. and your replying to a post without spoiler tags.

Peter | 142 comments Eric wrote: "Doug wrote:
Aren't they just going to become night's watch like everyone else on the wall?"

I don't think so, not now that Jon is either dead or incapacitated. I wouldn't be surprised to see them either forced through the Wall or just take it over entirely. The Night Watch are fools. They lost their focus (It is a reasonable reason why it happened as the years passed too slowly, but they are still fools)and now are going to pay the price. The Black brothers are outnumbered 5-10 to 1, and aren't fighting from the top of a wall this time.

message 20: by Mary (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mary (valentinew) | 118 comments I'd like to address the last Dany chapter some.

How did she survive the pale mare?

She was surprised by the arrival of her moon blood, which implies that this is the first time it had arrived since her miscarriage.

It feels like this all ties in to the bush of green "berries" she gorged on.

Thoughts?

As for Jon, am I the only one that noticed that chapter ended with a statement about the cold? Everyone assumes he dies & is resurrected. What if the corpses in the ice cells rise before the deed can be finished? Isn't it just as likely that Val, Tormund, or Melisandre spirits him away & heals him?