The Holloway Pack discussion

Romance > Soul Mates.

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Belfield (jabelfield) Believe or no?
How do you feel about this concept in romance?
Is it important to you—especially in PNR—or do you find it too cheesy?

message 2: by Aimee (new)

Aimee Laine (aimee_laine) | 10 comments Yes, I believe in them. I believe not all of them find each other though and those that do still have to work at their relationship just as hard as another couple, but the fact that their are intrinsically tied to one another makes them all that more special. :)

message 3: by Pam (new)

Pam (pammangol) | 6 comments Yep. No matter how much my hubbie might tick me off, I felt something for him and we didn't really hang out that much.

message 4: by Carole-Ann (new)

Carole-Ann (blueopal) I'm a sucker for soul mates - especially weres and vamps - because I suppose it adds to their non-humanity and because humans rarely (if ever) acknowledge this.

It's also fun when (at the start) soul mates don't like each other much, and then they get to know one another better and realise how right the person is for them!

message 5: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Belfield (jabelfield) It's also fun when (at the start) soul mates don't like each other much, and then they get to know one another better and realise how right the person is for them!

Yeah, these kinds of stories can be a lot of fun--the raw attraction on their wakeup call is usually pretty potent, too :o)

message 6: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Belfield (jabelfield) Aimee wrote: "Yes, I believe in them. I believe not all of them find each other though and those that do still have to work at their relationship just as hard as another couple, but the fact that their are intri..."

Relationships aren't easy. And in order for your work to be believable, you have to insert at least some of that for the reader to connect with. :o)

message 7: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Belfield (jabelfield) Pam wrote: "Yep. No matter how much my hubbie might tick me off, I felt something for him and we didn't really hang out that much."

If it's there, it's there--ain't a darn thing you can do about it. :o)

message 8: by J. (new)

J. Ford (jkellerford) | 4 comments total believer in soul mates. Been there. I've been blessed to have met mine. Indescribable emotions and feelings. It's as if we knew we'd been together before and we'd be together when this life was done. I am blessed to have met mine. Most people never do and they spend their lives looking for that right person. I hope each of you find yours. The love is eternal, almost as if being touched by an angel.

message 9: by Denna (new)

Denna (dholm) | 3 comments I believe there is a soul mate out there for each of us. I wasn't lucky enough to meet mine and maybe that's why I love to read romance. The idea that maybe, just maybe, I still can some day. He could be out there somewhere. I'll be a little old lady walking down the street with my cane saying, "Where you been all my life, baby?" :)

message 10: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Belfield (jabelfield) Denna wrote: "I'll be a little old lady walking down the street with my cane saying, "Where you been all my life, baby?""

Better late than never, eh? Hehehee.

message 11: by Denna (new)

Denna (dholm) | 3 comments Hopefully he'll be old enough I'll still be able to catch him. :)

message 12: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Belfield (jabelfield) Invest in a motorised scooter, just in case ;o)

message 13: by Denna (new)

Denna (dholm) | 3 comments What a great idea. Hot rod granny on the hunt! Better watch out.

message 14: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Belfield (jabelfield) Hehehehehe

message 15: by Cassie Cruel (new)

Cassie Cruel (faith_isola) | 3 comments I didn't have an opinion before but I do believe now :D

message 16: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Belfield (jabelfield) Cupcake Cassie wrote: "I didn't have an opinion before but I do believe now :D"

Yeah! A converted one! Wheeee! :o)

message 17: by Julie (new)

Julie Reece | 10 comments There's good cheese and bad cheese. Soul mates are good cheese. :)

message 18: by Pauline (new)

Pauline Toohey (paulinelouise) | 11 comments Never in real life. Only in books of the paranormal genre.

message 19: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Belfield (jabelfield) Pauline wrote: "Never in real life. Only in books of the paranormal genre."

You stand with your feet firmly planted on that one, Pauline? Or is there room to sway you?

Julie wrote: "There's good cheese and bad cheese. Soul mates are good cheese. :)"

LOL. Julie

message 20: by Pauline (new)

Pauline Toohey (paulinelouise) | 11 comments Standing firm. I've had too many 'Mr Rights' and too many 'soul mates' to know better. Having said that, I am currently with 'Mr Perfect For Me Right At This Moment,' so I certainly believe in love.

OMG - I think I'm Elizabeth Taylor!

message 21: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Belfield (jabelfield) Pauline wrote: "Standing firm. I've had too many 'Mr Rights' and too many 'soul mates' to know better. Having said that, I am currently with 'Mr Perfect For Me Right At This Moment,' so I certainly believe in love..."

LOL, Pauline :o)

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Soul Mate.. yes.. believe it, absolutely.

In real life? Absolutely, why not!

message 23: by Pauline (last edited Jul 24, 2011 06:35AM) (new)

Pauline Toohey (paulinelouise) | 11 comments Let me pose this. So out of the 7 billion people who populate our world, and live in the many countries of the earth, there are two people out there somewhere, who are presumably soul mates. With those odds, it's highly improbable that these two people will ever meet. ie: my soul mate might be a sheep herder in the deserts of Afghanistan. Likelihood of me meeting this man????

Is it not just a case of ... meet, like, love, suit and with all those boxes ticked, we'll conveniently pull out the 'soul mate' label all because it sounds good?

message 24: by Aimee (new)

Aimee Laine (aimee_laine) | 10 comments So, Pauline ... here's one for ya...

What would you attribute to two people meeting as young teenagers (think 14 ish), who through ALL (yes ALL) teenage years and into college, never broke up (not once), married and are still going strong 17+ years after marriage?

As I said before, I DO believe in soul mates and I think when with the absolute right person, life is still tough, but there's something about it that makes those two people so 'right' that they can be nothing but soul mates.

It's happenstance that they get found, but I believe there is one for everyone. :)

message 25: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Belfield (jabelfield) Slytle wrote: "Soul Mate.. yes.. believe it, absolutely.

In real life? Absolutely, why not!"

Yes!!!!! We're on the same wavelength. :o)

message 26: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Belfield (jabelfield) I don't pull out the soul mate label because it sounds good, Pauline, lol. I talk about soul mates and include them in my work with such intensity because I 'believe' the 'concept' to be real. :o)

And as to your comment about the numbers in the world??? It's a valid point. And true.
I don't believe everyone is fortunate enough to happen across their soul mate. Or maybe they do and just don't realise it because circumstance doesn't nudge them to find out. Which is why I believe those who do meet with 'the one' should consider themselves blessed.

message 27: by Carole-Ann (new)

Carole-Ann (blueopal) J.A. wrote: "I don't pull out the soul mate label because it sounds good, Pauline, lol. I talk about soul mates and include them in my work with such intensity because I 'believe' the 'concept' to be real. :o)
..."

I too believe the concept of soul mates to be real - I'm a pure soppy romantic at heart. But...
Finding "the one" can be incredibly difficult, and as Pauline says, the odds are against it . As long as we are open, and truthful, and trust-worthy, then Fate could come smiling. I'd like to think that most of us could find that 'someone' who fits best, but I have to be realistic enough to believe that happens seldom nowadays...
But blessings to those who do !!

message 28: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Belfield (jabelfield) I'd like to think that most of us could find that 'someone' who fits best, but I have to be realistic enough to believe that happens seldom nowadays...

How much of that, do you think, could be put down to modern society? Way too many young adults (and sometimes even younger than that) are itching to jump into the shark pool as far as boys and sexual experience is concerned. So few, nowadays, hold out for 'Mr Right'.
Although, I guess all the 'arranged' marriages of days gone by in the high society circles may well have had the same kind of effect. :o)

message 29: by Carole-Ann (new)

Carole-Ann (blueopal) @ J A - yes, I think modern-day society has a lot to answer for - materialistic as it is - and "love" suffers under the guise of lust, desire, or just strong liking. Our values are lower than they have ever been, so jumping into the 'shark pool' is just another way of keeping up with everyone else, or even just saying "Look at me. Look what I've got".

Sorry, I'm incredibly cynical of our society and this is one of my grouses. As I said before, I'm a romantic at heart, and I brought up my three daughters to (at least) dream of 'the one' for them. Two are married with children, and I still can't tell if they've hit the jackpot or not; only time will tell.

And this is one of the reasons why I LOVE paranormal romance. At least here we know that soul mates exist and there WILL be a HEA. I love that werewolves can 'smell' their mate; that vampires can tell their mate by the heartbeat they now possess; or any other method for any other paranorm. It is all a reinforcement of TWU LUV and that it DOES exist!!

message 30: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Belfield (jabelfield) I totally agree with you. But then I've been with Mr B for 21 years. :o)

And yes, (whilst they may differ from author to author) I, too, love how, in paranormal romance, the supe-beings can tell instantly who is 'the one'--and I appreciate it even more when it leaves them confused, especially when they listen to their heart when they can find no reasoning within their minds.

message 31: by Pauline (last edited Jul 24, 2011 06:44AM) (new)

Pauline Toohey (paulinelouise) | 11 comments I want to be a werewolf.

Love the thought of being able to sniff out my soul mate. Ohhh, I wonder what he'd smell like. A Sunday roast, Velvet soap, man sweat (the nice type), freshly cut wood.

Mmmm - yep, I want to be a werewolf.

Aimee - to your question, I'll answer lucky, very lucky, and blessed. But I would assume those two people (whom ever they may be) may have possibly, just possibly, also have had just as happy a life if they had met someone else.

Does that mean we have a number of soul mates out there?

Remember - I have have confessed to being Elizabeth Taylor's double.

message 32: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Belfield (jabelfield) Pauline wrote: "I want to be a werewolf.

Love the thought of being able to sniff out my soul mate. Ohhh, I wonder what he'd smell like. A Sunday roast, Velvet soap, man sweat (the nice type), freshly cut wood.
..."

Hehehehehehe, yep, being able to sniff out 'the one' would be awesome, me thinks. :o)

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

You'd better lock that line down and save it somewhere.. You might need it later!

I think a dragon could find his soulmate through scent.. i'll have to think about that.. Still there is some charm to Werewolves. They can curl up at your feet when its a cold Alaskan winter night. hmm

message 34: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Belfield (jabelfield) Slytle wrote: "You'd better lock that line down and save it somewhere.. You might need it later!

I think a dragon could find his soulmate through scent.. i'll have to think about that.. Still there is some charm to Werewolves. They can curl up at your feet when its a cold Alaskan winter night. hmm..."

I'm sure they'd lick your feet, too, if you asked nicely ;o)

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Probably..but I run around with no socks on.. I think.. if they're a smartie.. they'll um. NOT LOL

message 36: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Belfield (jabelfield) Slytle wrote: "Probably..but I run around with no socks on.. I think.. if they're a smartie.. they'll um. NOT LOL"

Hahahaaaaa :o)

message 37: by Sue (new)

Sue Tint (suetintlovesindies) | 6 comments My romantic side says yes, I believe in soul mates! However, I am married,,, and don't feel that he is my soul mate,,, but I love him nontheless.

message 38: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Belfield (jabelfield) There's varying degrees of love. So long as it isn't the love to hate variety, a relationship can survive. :o)

message 39: by Veritas (new)

Veritas (umbra_veritatis) | 12 comments Soul mates, whenever I wright I like to place one in the story but never to the main, I always make the main a personification of my ideals.

In real life I met my soul mate, when most people hear me say this they laugh at the idea but it's was an almost absolute feeling in my core.

Bored ATM so going through groups feeds answering q's

message 40: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Belfield (jabelfield) LOL, Veritas. Yeah, I've rolled through groups for something to do before now.

And I'm not laughing about you meeting your soul mate. It's my wedding anniversary today. Been married to Mr B for 17 years. Been together for almost 22. Still going strong. :o)

message 41: by Veritas (new)

Veritas (umbra_veritatis) | 12 comments congrats, but eh i dont have the oppertunity for such a long relationship with her

message 42: by Veritas (new)

Veritas (umbra_veritatis) | 12 comments Happy valentines day all! Hope you all had great day