The Holloway Pack discussion

Paranormal/Supernatural > Supernatural Beings

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Belfield (jabelfield) One of the reasons I love paranormal romance is the endless possibilities. Both as a writer and reader. There are so many paranormal/supernatural beings out there in the literary world—ones based on mythology as well as those fabricated to fit a story.
I love to experience each author's personal take on the creatures and being made to believe--if only for a short while--that they really have the capabilities they're blessed (or cursed) with. And I often wonder why they chose the being they did, or how they came up with the (when fabricated) name.
So, out of curiosity, which is your favourite to read about and why?

message 2: by J. (new)

J. Ford (jkellerford) | 4 comments One of my favorite supernatural characters I've read about recently is in CL Wilson's fantasy romance novels. They are known as the Tairen. They are large panther-like creatures with wings that can morph into humans. They are all very handsome, strong, sexy and sexual. They love their women, they have soul mates to whom they connect forever and the males eventually go mad if not allowed to be with their mates. When I first started to read this series, I was like "come on, giant cats with wings?", but then I was hooked on the romantic aspect. Love lasting forever kind of thing. Pretty awesome if you ask me.

message 3: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Belfield (jabelfield) Sounds great, Jen. If the romance is good and sigh-worthy, the reader rarely cares what kind of creatures they can become. It's the character and personality the reader falls in love with. :o)

message 4: by Dale (new)

Dale Ibitz (goodreadscomdale_ibitz) I'll have to look into CL Wilson...

message 5: by Carole-Ann (new)

Carole-Ann (blueopal) Going along with Jenny here - and I'll also say that the 5 Tairen Soul books have been one of the best fantasy series in a long time.

This is true Fantasy with a capital F: the world-building is incredible; the main characters are beautifully drawn; and the whole plot/s throughout the series is brilliant.

And of course, the Tairens themselves are magically unique and wonderful too. As Jenny says "come on, giant cats with wings?" but what an incredible creation !!

Well worth anyone's time reading!!

message 6: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Belfield (jabelfield) They do sound like a cool creation. And there's always credit due to the writer if they've managed to write them well enough for the reader to fully picture them, too, I think. :o)

message 7: by Kaye620 (new)

Kaye620 | 3 comments My favorite made-up beings (for the moment) are Karen Marie Moning's JZB and his crew (whatever the heck they are). What I find that draws me toward them is the fact that we don't know what they are or where they are from. You wonder the whole time if they are good or bad or somewhere in the grey.

I seem to pick up more books about vampires than any other creature. I like the idea that they have to fight to keep their humanity and that they walk a thin line between good and bad. Isn't that what we humans do also?

message 8: by Pauline (new)

Pauline Toohey (paulinelouise) | 11 comments Do you create your own creature types/species, or do most writers in this genre utilise types already in circulation?

message 9: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Belfield (jabelfield) Kaye620 wrote: "My favorite made-up beings (for the moment) are Karen Marie Moning's JZB and his crew (whatever the heck they are). What I find that draws me toward them is the fact that we don't know what they a..."

Which series is that from? I'm just reading Dark Fever.

And yes, vampires do reflect humanity but with the supernatural twist involved. :o)

message 10: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Belfield (jabelfield) Pauline wrote: "Do you create your own creature types/species, or do most writers in this genre utilise types already in circulation?"

I tend to stick with what's already out there, Pauline, but ignore the sterotypes and 'rules' some folks seem to think must apply and write them how I want them to be. There are a lot of writer's who do make their species/beings up, and do so very well. I'll certainly consider it in the future, but at the moment, I have book #2 to edit, book #3 85% written, and the opening chapter of book #4 jotted down ... so it will be some time in the future before I get around to trying something else. :o)