Girls Like Us discussion

Debates > Biracial Couples

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sky (new)

Sky | 182 comments Mod
I was reading articles online and they stated that biracial and interacial couples are tolleranted alot more now than in the past. I agree with this, but I do believe that many people still do not like biracial couples.

Let's say:
A cute biracial couple is at a mall in a suburb that is rumored to be very unfriendly toward mixied couples. Regardless, the the two lovebirds are having a great time, but they're getting strange looks from all the people around them....

What would happen next in our society? Has it really changed that much?

message 2: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS I think it has. I think most people have gotten over racism and have begun to accept biracial couples.

message 3: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) I don't think people care much about race anymore. In fact, I think maybe we've gone a little overboard defending different races (like how people claimed the Arizona law was "racist") to a point of extremity.

message 4: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS Yeah i heard about that,

message 5: by Sara (new)

Sara Roethle (saracroethle) I'm with Thalia. It comes to a point of being overly protective of racial issues. Isn't the end goal to not really see race? Having say, fraternities/sororities that only allow african americans only perpetuates a division of race. Everyone should be granted the same opportunities.

message 6: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) Exactly.

Did you know it's not possible to have a hate crime against a white person? If someone of another race yells, "DEATH TO WHITES" and beats me up, I can't press charges for a hate crime. :/

It's like, bordering on ractist against white people nowadays.

message 7: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) *racist

hello, spelling.

Ruby~am I a part of the cure? (openupyoureyes) | 105 comments There's still racism in the world, no doubt. It can be really offensive.

Ruby~am I a part of the cure? (openupyoureyes) | 105 comments I remember once my African friend got black paint on her face and my asian friend(who didn't know English that well) was like "Brenda, you're black!" she obviously didn't mean it like that, so it was really funny :)

message 10: by Sky (new)

Sky | 182 comments Mod
I personally, is in a biracial relationship and I think other kids do talk about us but thats just because we're in middle school,the land of gossiping

message 11: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) Ah, middle school. They'll grow up some once they get to high school.

Middle school was the worst for me. :/ Few good memories.

message 12: by Megan (new)

Megan | 134 comments Ruby~ForgotAboutTheSunshine wrote: "I remember once my African friend got black paint on her face and my asian friend(who didn't know English that well) was like "Brenda, you're black!" she obviously didn't mean it like that, so it w..."

Haha that's funny :)

I'm just going into high school, and it seems like all the couples are the same race. But that could just be because we are more attracted to someone with the same culture, I guess. I like biracial couples, they each bring good but different traits into the relationship.

message 13: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ I think many people are still definitely uncomfortable about biracial couples; but nowadays, they'd just be more unlikely to voice their opinions about it. I don't believe racism will ever completely go away. Racism is basically inevitable in that, we instinctively notice differences in others.

Do I find biracial couples strange? No, not in the least. But there are people out there who would think otherwise. Yes, our society is a lot more accepting than it used to be. But like I said, I don't think it'll ever be completely accepting.

Ruby~am I a part of the cure? (openupyoureyes) | 105 comments ♥Sky♥~Jar Of Hearts In Your Arms~ wrote: "I personally, is in a biracial relationship and I think other kids do talk about us but thats just because we're in middle school,the land of gossiping"

I think biracial couples are cute :) what're your races?

message 15: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS Thalia wrote: "Ah, middle school. They'll grow up some once they get to high school.

Middle school was the worst for me. :/ Few good memories."

i WOULD THINK IT GETS WORSE IN HIGH SCHOOL, YA KNOW?

message 16: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS Whoops, sorry i had the caps on

message 17: by Sky (new)

Sky | 182 comments Mod
Ruby~ForgotAboutTheSunshine wrote: "♥Sky♥~Jar Of Hearts In Your Arms~ wrote: "I personally, is in a biracial relationship and I think other kids do talk about us but thats just because we're in middle school,the land of gossiping"

I..."

I'm mixed black and white and my boyfriend is white and Indian

message 19: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS Cool

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

I like biracial babies, they're so pretty. And I think society has changed because I constantly see mixed couples where I live. And I have dated outside my race.

message 21: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) luvhBOOKS: Well, people are actually wrong about that. Middle schoolers tend to think they're all that because they're not in elementary school anymore, but by high school they realize that they're not the coolest people on earth, and get back in check. x)

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

well it depends where you're from and who you are. I know loads of hipster middle schooolers who are cool with high schoolers

message 23: by Picture (new)

Picture  Perfect (picturesperfect) | 34 comments So, this is very interesting because this is something I think about sometimes. The world is still racist in a way. There are some people out there who love to sort the colors. White go with white. And black go with black. And I'm like freaking taste the rainbow all together.

Me? That was never the case. I crushed on white boys, black boys, and blah blah, any boy really who was nice to me. Weird kid. Anyway, I think that biracial couples are wonderful. Some people may argue that culture goes away. Are you kidding me? It actually spreads even more. I for one am okay with white guys dating African american girls or Asian girls dating
Latino boys. Seriously...

But like most high schools, there are many racial cliques like the huge Asian population in my school along with the African American population.

Integration is still not 100% even if a lot of my friends are white.

message 24: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS Thalia wrote: "luvhBOOKS: Well, people are actually wrong about that. Middle schoolers tend to think they're all that because they're not in elementary school anymore, but by high school they realize that they're..."

Oh. I guess thats okay. I'm still in middle school; i dont know how it is just yet.

message 25: by Sky (new)

Sky | 182 comments Mod
Kayla Lia Wayland Malfoy wrote: "I like biracial babies, they're so pretty. And I think society has changed because I constantly see mixed couples where I live. And I have dated outside my race."

My cousin is black and chinese! She is so cute!

message 26: by Sky (new)

Sky | 182 comments Mod
I haven't really dated my race.I like both black and white boys but where I live it like 7% black,so I don't really get a chance to mingle but black guys. There are only 8 black guys in my grade and I don't really like 7 of them because they are too ghetto.I don't mean to be racist to my own race, but I don't go for those black guys who are all about gangs and that crap.I don't play that. And for all you whites out their who don't know what ghetto means to us black people ghetto means, like dirty, whose who live in the hood. (Hood means like The City.Hood would be like Brooklyn in New York,Compton in California or The Southside in Chicago) Those tv shows, The Basketball Wives and all that shit are examples of ghetto black people or as some of us like to say, ghetto fabulous because they have money.

A word of advice if anyone of you are racist. Never call a black man or woman a niger or a black republican unless you wanna get your ass kicked

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

I know this kid who is italian and chinese and another who is italian and black and one of me little cousins is irish, mexican and puerto rican and another is italian and puerto rican. I know tons of mixed kids.

((yea go brooklyn!!! srry just representing))

message 28: by Chantae (new)

Chantae B. | 5 comments I think that some people still don't except biracial couples but the majority of people have gotten over what race some one is. I'm mixed so I don't have a problem with couples that are different races