Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

The Three Musketeers (The D'Artagnan Romances, #1)
This topic is about The Three Musketeers
Alexandre Dumas Collection > Three Musketeers Discussion: Chpts 1-30 SPOILERS

Comments Showing 1-50 of 117 (117 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Trisha (new) - added it

Trisha | 495 comments Since this is a pretty lengthy book, I am going to divide the discussion/book in half. Don't be afraid of it's length!!! We are going to carry the discussion through August, or later depending on how many people are reading it.
It might be fun to read "The Man in the Iron Mask" as a follow up!

Jenny (jennyc89) Is anyone else reading this? I think I'm about 10% in and I'm enjoying it so far, even though I have to push myself through some parts.

message 3: by Trisha (new) - added it

Trisha | 495 comments I actually just started it and I'm very amused by D'Artagnian's need to "prove himself" in the beginning.

Jenny (jennyc89) Trisha wrote: "I actually just started it and I'm very amused by D'Artagnian's need to "prove himself" in the beginning."

Me too, and I love the banter between the four of them!

message 5: by Trisha (new) - added it

Trisha | 495 comments We will be revisiting this book, so I hope that everyone who has not read it yet will enjoy it. If you have already read it, feel free to join in on the discussion!

Jenny (jennyc89) I read this a year and a half ago when the group originally read it. It's a long read but I recommend sticking with it, I really enjoyed it.

message 7: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy (kathy_h) | 9189 comments Mod
I read this back in 2010. Four stars, the book takes a bit of time to read, but a fun bit of time.

message 8: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 4 stars

So I love that the author's preface makes you think that he has found an unpublished history and leads you to believe that the story following is true.

Bat-Cat | 1300 comments I've already started and am at 12% and really enjoying it. D'Artagnian is a bit of a young peacock needing to "prove" himself and the "banter" between them is rather amusing. I like the rhythm of the story as well, now that I am getting into. So far a quite enjoyable read. ;-)

message 10: by Matt (new) - rated it 4 stars

Matt (mmullerm) | 720 comments I agree Bat Cat. I am enjoying the flow of the story so far. I'm going to really enjoy Three Musketeers. This is also my favorite candy bar too! : )

Here is the link to Sparknotes online to Three Musketeers if anyone is interested: http://m.sparknotes.com/lit/3musk/ - i like to bookmark Sparknotes on my phone if it is available for a classic book I'm reading and refer to it periodically for character lists and descriptions, and the plot and chapter summaries.

message 11: by Aprilleigh (new) - added it

Aprilleigh (aprilleighlauer) | 537 comments Thanks Matt - I like to look at those after I've completed a chapter or section. Plus, they usually give some historical information and define words that are no longer in common usage.

Susie | 731 comments I am also 12% in and agree it has a very easy flow to it. I am enjoying the characters so far and yes, adding to my vocabulary!
This seems a perfect fit for the serial reader...I am reading 2-3 installments a day...

message 13: by Lena (new) - rated it 1 star

Lena | 300 comments I'm 10 Serials in (10%). D'Artagnan is a ridiculous person. The films have made him likable; smug rude violent French slut is not what I got from Chris O'Donnell. The sort of guy who would tell people to call him The D'Artagnan. I would not suffer dinner with this fool.

message 14: by Janet (new) - added it

Janet (janw126) | 1 comments I'm through 10% and very much enjoying the book thus far. Really enjoying the humor. I was afraid I might find it difficult to push through, but so far the flow is pretty quick and easy for me. I'm aiming to complete at least 2% of the book each day, but when I finish some other books I'm reading I might pick up that pace.

Tasha I'm only about 10% in as well and I'm finding the humor good too. I agree, D'Artagnan is not at all what I pictured him to be, at least early on in the story. I'm wondering if he changes later in the book as things happen. I'm hoping so! Really fun reading though.

message 16: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 4 stars

Looks like we are all reading about the same pace :)
This is a fun book, I hope you all enjoy it.

Bat-Cat | 1300 comments I'm at 15% and am thoroughly enjoying it. It is a very smooth reading experience (with the exception of having to look up words) and my edition (Vintage Kindle edition with a new translation by Will Hobson) has excellent footnotes that explain in pretty good detail things I previously knew nothing about. :)

I don't dislike D'Artagnian like some of you do. I kind of look at him as a very green Muskateer wannabe with the three muskateers showing him the ropes while putting him in place at the same time. A bit like training a puppy - you want him to learn how to behave but you don't want to destroy his spirit in the process. Anyway, I'm having fun and enjoying all the differing views and perspectives. ;-)

Kathleen | 3579 comments I was avoiding this thread until I realized--duh--I already know what happens! When I was little I had a recording of this story that was my absolute favorite, and now I remember why--great swashbuckling fun banter.

I'm about 10% too, and will be taking my time with it. I agree with you about D'Artagnan, Bat-Cat--perfect puppy analogy! I am enjoying him and all the others.

message 19: by Lena (new) - rated it 1 star

Lena | 300 comments 13% in.
"It is with valets as with wives, they must be placed at once upon the footing in which you wish them to remain. Reflect upon it."
D'Artagnan did reflect, and resolved to thrash Planchet provisionally; which he did with the conscientiousness that d'Artagnan carried into everything. After having well beaten him, he forbade him to leave his service without his permission.

The Asshole, puppy?!?!, is not getting any better. That he's advancing in life feels like shit floating to the top.

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2011 comments I am about 10% in too.And just starting to enjoy the story...I am 10 serials in too .
And thanks for the link .I will look into sparknotes.

message 21: by Phil (new) - rated it 5 stars

Phil Jensen | 627 comments Lena wrote: "13% in.
"It is with valets as with wives, they must be placed at once upon the footing in which you wish them to remain. Reflect upon it."
D'Artagnan did reflect, and resolved to thrash Planchet pr..."

I can't wait for your responses to the rest of the book! It is certainly not the Victorian morality tale that I was expecting.

Fun fact: pistoles are coins. When I tried to read this book as a teenager, I got really confused because I thought they were guns.

message 22: by Phil (new) - rated it 5 stars

Phil Jensen | 627 comments Kathy wrote: "So I love that the author's preface makes you think that he has found an unpublished history and leads you to believe that the story following is true."

One of my favorite devices. I love it every time I see it, and the more ridiculous the better.

message 23: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 4 stars

Me too Phil -- this is just a fun book.

Kathleen | 3579 comments It is fun. I'm at the part where they've run out of money and to feed themselves, they just go hang out until one of them gets invited to eat somewhere, and then they all tag along and eat as much as possible!

Bat-Cat | 1300 comments Kathleen wrote: "It is fun. I'm at the part where they've run out of money and to feed themselves, they just go hang out until one of them gets invited to eat somewhere, and then they all tag along and eat as much ..."

I am just past that part. Yes, they seem to have very interesting and fun ways of dealing with apparent adversity!

Phil and Kathy, I, too, enjoy the "historical document" device. Perhaps there is more truth in it then I imagine since Dumas' father was the "Black Count". Hummm, maybe another book to add to my list since I am loving this so much. ;-)

message 26: by Lena (new) - rated it 1 star

Lena | 300 comments They ran out of money because they insist on living well beyond their means and starve their servants rather than letting them get paying work.

message 27: by Lena (new) - rated it 1 star

Lena | 300 comments Three of them have special forces salaries, none have wives or children to care for, but they are still spending so much they are broke and owe people. Think about all the hookers and blow and outrageous shopping that means. These are not responsible respectable people, they are just pretending to be.

message 28: by Aprilleigh (last edited Jan 08, 2017 05:55PM) (new) - added it

Aprilleigh (aprilleighlauer) | 537 comments It's the whiff of scandal that probably made this story so popular in its day. I read somewhere that people lined up in the street to buy the next installment.

message 29: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aprilleigh wrote: "It's the whiff of scandal that probably made this story so popular in it's day. I read somewhere that people lined up in the street to buy the next installment."

I hadn't thought of it that way. Good idea.

Jen from Quebec :0) (muppetbaby99) | 215 comments In a way, I guess this is a 'pseudo-epistolary' novel, what with the fake 'historical document'/'this is true' preface attached at the beginning, eh? -Jen from Quebec :0)

'Pseudo-epistolary'- I just created a whole new genre! LOL

message 31: by Phil (new) - rated it 5 stars

Phil Jensen | 627 comments Lena wrote: "These are not responsible respectable people, they are just pretending to be."

I get what you're saying, Lena. I went into this expecting a chivalrous Howard Pyle-type romance, and I was pretty shocked by what I got instead. The whole thing seems to be operating on some kind of decadent alternate morality. Kind of like Tropic of Cancer. People talk about "suspension of disbelief" when you read a ghost story. I think this one calls for "suspension of ethics."

The scandal factor is part of why I enjoyed it, though.

message 32: by siriusedward (last edited Jan 08, 2017 02:21PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2011 comments Suspension of ethics is right.

They are introduced as people who does anything they want and having to answer to nobody but Treville.They are loose and there are 2 more adjectives that i read in the book.
I too expected chivalry.but this is an adventure tale with no heroes( not really ).
I read in sparknotes that with the 4 different personalities Dumas created a Musketeer for everyone. One can choose any of them.Dumas did need readers after all and he was smart about it.

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2011 comments Aprilleigh wrote: "It's the whiff of scandal that probably made this story so popular in it's day. I read somewhere that people lined up in the street to buy the next installment."

This is true of nowadays too isn't it? Gossip rags, blogs, shows are very popular.if you are reading something in a page , there usually are links to news regarding some scandalous(?) news regarding celebrities.

Bat-Cat | 1300 comments siriusedward wrote: "Suspension of ethics is right.

They are introduced as people who does anything they want and having to answer to nobody but Treville.They are loose and there are 2 more adjectives that i read in t..."

That's really interesting about the varied personalities being written as traits for everyone. I had not heard that, thanks! ;-)

message 36: by Lena (new) - rated it 1 star

Lena | 300 comments 15% in. If this took place in Detroit or Sicily I could understand. When they say all for one and one for all they mean "Get Rich or Die Trying" not Semper Fi. These are gangsters. It's dressing them as patriots that's offensive because they really don't care about the people.

message 37: by Lena (new) - rated it 1 star

Lena | 300 comments Just realized one thing that was seriously tripping me up, there were two French Revolutions.

The French Revolution (1789-1799)
The French Revolution of 1848

When they say the three musketeers was serialized four years before the French Revolution they mean the second one.

message 38: by Lena (new) - rated it 1 star

Lena | 300 comments 18% in. "Thousands of men, it is true, will have to pay for my happiness with their lives; but what is that to me, provided I see you again!"
Wow, definitely no heroes here.

message 39: by Lena (new) - rated it 1 star

Lena | 300 comments 23% in. "Capricious and unfaithful, the king wished to be called Louis the Just and Louis the Chaste." Sounds accurate of a French King. No heroes.

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2011 comments Wow lena ! Running ahead....

message 41: by Lena (new) - rated it 1 star

Lena | 300 comments Serial app makes you feel like you'd be loosing a video game if you skipped your daily reading. It's genius.

message 42: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lena wrote: "Serial app makes you feel like you'd be loosing a video game if you skipped your daily reading. It's genius."

Exactly

Tasha This is such a great read! I am so surprised at how much I am enjoying this one. I'm finishing up Ch 18 (28%) and am totally hooked in the story. I would never have picked this up if it wasn't a group read.

Bat-Cat | 1300 comments Tasha wrote: "This is such a great read! I am so surprised at how much I am enjoying this one. I'm finishing up Ch 18 (28%) and am totally hooked in the story. I would never have picked this up if it wasn't a gr..."

I agree totally, Tasha. I, too, am loving it (25%) and would most likely never have picked it had it not been for this group.

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2011 comments Me too!
The story has a good flow...

Kathleen | 3579 comments Me four! At Chapter 22 and have to force myself to put it down until next weekend, but will look forward to continuing!

message 47: by Lena (new) - rated it 1 star

Lena | 300 comments 27% in. "The queen's paleness, if possible, increased; the king perceived it, and enjoyed it with that cold cruelty which was one of the worst sides of his character."
I hope they all die at the end. I neither like nor respect anyone in this book.

message 48: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lena wrote: "27% in. "The queen's paleness, if possible, increased; the king perceived it, and enjoyed it with that cold cruelty which was one of the worst sides of his character."
I hope they all die at the en..."

LOL

message 49: by Loretta (new)

Loretta | 2668 comments Lena wrote: "27% in. "The queen's paleness, if possible, increased; the king perceived it, and enjoyed it with that cold cruelty which was one of the worst sides of his character."
I hope they all die at the en..."

I'm not even reading the book but that comment made me laugh out loud!!!!! :)

« previous 1 3