Creative Reviews discussion

YA Fantasy/Paranormal Reviews > Review: Forever - Maggie Stiefvater (possible spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Forever is the third and final book in the Wolves of Mercy Falls series, which includes Shiver and Linger. If you haven't read the first two then this review will a) probably make little sense to you, and/or b) spoil the whole series, so please stop reading now if you want to avoid that.

Rating: ****

In comparison to Linger, the second in the series, Forever moves with a swift pace. All of the issues that were introduced in the preceding book; Tom Culpepper's desire to exterminate the wolves; Shelby's dangerous hatred; Grace's ridiculous parent's and the suspicions of the town as a whole, begin to come to a head. Sam, an undeniably damaged person at the beginning of the series, has to learn to face his fears and seek resolution to difficult circumstances, including his role in relation to the pack, if he wants the people he loves to survive.

Grace’s growth throughout the series seems less dramatic, perhaps because she was such an independent character to begin with – if anything her relationship with Sam softened her, but not in a bad way. Their love is the kind to be admired – it is not the needy, shallow, lustful adoration of many other paranormal romances – if anything, it is the sort of love normally found between adults. That isn’t meant to sound patronising; it just takes time and a lot of trust to develop a bond that solid. Grace and Sam are both old souls, so their feelings never seem false or exaggerated and that is a great achievement.

I was pleased to see Cole’s character had mellowed since Linger. He was more amusing and less obnoxious, which made him a lot easier to read. I still wasn’t convinced that his relationship with Isabel and, in particular, Isabel’s narrative was strictly necessary. Though I liked her voice, I got the feeling the plot was treading water during her parts. That said, overall, I don’t think it damaged the pace of the novel and I only have two real criticisms of Forever as the finale of the series.

The first, was that I was left confused about ‘cure’s’ and ‘almost cure’s’. I thought that some of the ideas contradicted others that had been raised in Linger and I will have to go and check because that kind of thing bugs me. The theories always seemed a little muddled up and woolly but perhaps I was just so caught up in the story that I missed some of the finer details.

The second would be that I thought it ended quite abruptly and with a couple of unanswered questions. Perhaps the author just wanted to leave the readers to imagine how things would pan out but I admit I was slightly taken aback when I turned the page and realised that I’d just read the final line and there was nothing more.

However, I would definitely recommend this series to anyone who enjoys heartfelt romance and lyrical prose. As ever, the language used is beautiful and paints pictures of people, places and emotions so that they are nearly tangible. Every setting is vivid and all the evidence of life within it, subtle and authentic. Each memory or moment is like a little present that the reader unwraps – it’s the kind of prose that makes me look at the small details in my own life with greater attention, if only for a short while.

message 2: by Kayleigh {K-Books} (last edited Jul 14, 2011 11:00AM) (new)

Kayleigh {K-Books} (kayley_12) great review =)

here's my spoiler free review =)

Forever

message 3: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (cambria409) | 3305 comments Great review! I have read Shiver and Linger and I have to say that they were not my favorite books. I liked your views on the book and the series as a whole and I agree with most of what you said! good job!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

OCD Kay =P wrote: "great review =)

here's my spoiler free review =)

Forever"

Thanks, I just read your review and like it too. I agree with you about Sam - he's a lovely character and Cole did come a long way. I liked the chemistry of Isabel and Cole's relationship, I just felt it was a bit of a tangent. If it had been a separate story - or if Maggie Stiefvater decides to do a spin-off - I think it would stand-alone really well.

Kayleigh {K-Books} (kayley_12) thanks emma
i reli hope she does coz i would love to see them get together. i kinda think they r perfect for each other

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Cambria wrote: "Great review! I have read Shiver and Linger and I have to say that they were not my favorite books. I liked your views on the book and the series as a whole and I agree with most of what you said! ..."

Thanks, Cambria

message 7: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (cambria409) | 3305 comments Sure thing! A spin off is an interesting thought....

Kayleigh {K-Books} (kayley_12) really?
that's the first thing that came into my head when i finished it. A spin-off with cole and isabelle =)

message 9: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (cambria409) | 3305 comments LOL. well i haven't read forever and as I said before for some reason I couldn't get into Shiver and Linger so I wasn't really thinking about more books. LOL
But i will say that the reason I kept reading Linger was because I really liked Cole.

Kayleigh {K-Books} (kayley_12) i loved them lol
they r one of my fave series

message 11: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (cambria409) | 3305 comments I know a lot of people do love them :)

Kayleigh {K-Books} (kayley_12) =)