High School Counseling, coun525 discussion

Community Resources

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Krista (last edited Jul 14, 2011 10:27AM) (new)

Krista (kbjella) | 27 comments Connecting with community resources is an important part of advocating for students and their families. In the book, Jr. has trouble getting to school on occassion. Think aobut your own community, what resources might be available to help him get to school more consistently?

message 2: by Theresa (new)

Theresa (ttemplin) | 27 comments Our school tries to be flexible with our bus routes when it comes to getting students to school. I honestly am struggling to think of things in our community that would be helpful for Junior. Maybe there would be some car pooling possibilities.

message 3: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Solberg | 41 comments I think that it would be possible for car pooling options and church groups.

message 4: by Hollie (new)

Hollie Adair | 26 comments Good Question! I'd probably tell I'm going to get a little bit nosey and ask Junior's family if they've been connected with some of the social service organizations in the area such as DHS, Umpqua Community Action Network, St. Vincent De Paul, Maslow Project, Community Works, etc. Many of these organzations (locatd in Oregon) have some assistance in the form of gas vouchers, utility assistance, subsidized bus passes, and ride share programs. This may help Junior's family with the financial strain or free up some money to help him get to school. I'd also encourage him to perhaps think about posting an ad or approaching someone about trading work (physical labor, tutoring, etc.) in exchange for a ride.