White Oleander White Oleander question

Recommend a book as good please. :)
Parthena Parthena Jul 14, 2011 10:04AM
I love the prose, the imagery, the characters. I love how we get to walk around and live the life of the character. This is a well written solid book. The story is fine. But that is not what interests me about the White Oleander. Can anyone suggest a book that is comparable that isn't by Janet Fitch? Thanks?

I think Tawni Odell is adept at hitting a lot of the same buttons that Fitch presses for me. I think Odell is a bit gentler with her female characters than Fitch, but brutal with her male protagonists. Definitely worth a look.

Curtis Sittenfeld's "Prep" or "American Wife'" or Rebecca Wells's "Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood" come to mind.

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

I saw a few parallels with The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls - a beautiful memoir and one of my favourites. :)

I loved White Oleander. It is one of my favorites. I read Push by Sapphire later made into the movie precious. In away it has the same feel of a girl trying to find herself without her mother. The writing style is a lot different but I think you would enjoy it.

White oleander is in my top favorites, which means I re-read at least once a year. The beauty of the book is amazing I love how strong Astrid becomes despite what her mother did and even though her mother is cruel she believes it will make her daughter stronger. Astrid is a complex character who must find her way without her mother and at the same time try to love her even though it was her mom who left her alone over her petty jealousy, vanity, and and her misguided ideas on men.

Yes, I very much liked White Oleander myself. Not my favourite book ever but in my top fifty, certainly.

White Oleander, oh my goodness, one of my favorites too. When I saw the movie, I was able to echo the dialogue, that's how much it touched me (as I don't really recall words verbatim). The amazing prose and imagery is truly memorable. A must read and a must add to home library. Oh, and to all who have shared other reading treasures (Hold Still, Before I Die), thank you. Memoirs of A Geisha is another beautiful read.

I don't know if it would have the same effect on you, but The Dive From Clausen's Pier gave me a lot of the same feelings I got with White Oleander. Completely different story line, but I felt things, with the character, if that makes sense.

deleted member Aug 11, 2013 11:12AM   0 votes
Author Janet Fitch will be guest author in my group The F-word, if you are interested join the group and discuss Paint it Black with Janet. Paint it Black will be in theaters soon.

It's been a really long time since I've read this book. But I followed it with Fall on Your Knees by Anne Marie Macdonald.. It was very good!

Read The Language of Flowers, by Vanessa Diffenbaugh. Also about a girl who ages out of the foster care system, so there are some parallels, but I mainly suggest it because of its similar prose style and the level of feeling in the writing.

Melliott I liked that one too! Really unusual perspective.
Jan 15, 2014 12:00AM

The Liar's Club by Mary Karr has a somewhat similar feel as White Oleander, although it is an actual memoir. The author went through some pretty crazy stuff growing up and if you like The Liar's Club she has two other books, Cherry and Lit, that are also memoirs that continue her story.

Jennifer (last edited Jan 13, 2014 12:06PM ) Jan 13, 2014 12:05PM   0 votes
Saby wrote: "I love the prose, the imagery, the characters. I love how we get to walk around and live the life of the character. This is a well written solid book. The story is fine. But that is not what in..."

I enjoyed White Oleander as well. A book that had a similar feel to it that I recently read was: A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick
Also, Go Ask Alice is a book that has stuck with me through the years and is a favorite.
Happy Reading!

The author has a very rich style. Although an entirely different story, City of Thieves, had that same rich writing.

I really liked "Paint It Black" also by Janet Fitch. I love her prose and writing style.

Definitely "Before, After and Somebody Inbetween" by Jeannine Garsee!

i liked "icy sparks" by gwyn hyman rubio

I would reccomend She's Come Undone (for its coming of age and narrative style), The Swan Thieves(because its just a beautiful book),or The Night Circus (because the descriptions are so well written you can smell the cotton candy).

Saby, I agree, this book was beautifully written. Why not try The Elegance of the Hedgehog, by Muriel Barbery? She's a French writer, and the translation was wonderfully done. Nice prose with descriptive characters, and I must say that I was sorry the story came to an end. I happened upon the audio verion, and was very plesantly surprised at how that added another layer of enjoyment for me. The narrators were superb and captured the essence of each character.

I think you will like these titles based on how much you enjoyed White Oleander.
Gap Creek by Robert Morgan
The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova
We Were The Mulvaneys by Joyce Carol Oats
The Road by Cormac McCarthy
Midwives by Chris Bohjalian
Where the Heart Is by Billie Letts
The Deep End of the Ocean by Jacquelyn Mitchard

I agree that The Dive From Clausen's Pier by Ann Packer is a great book and another coming to age story that is similar and very different from White Oleander by Janet Fitch. Loved them both. Two others I'd recommend are Cat's Eye by Margaret Atwood and Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier. Divining Rod by Michael Knight is another of my favorites, not exactly a comparable novel to White Oleander, but a great book!

Tara (last edited May 03, 2012 12:10PM ) May 03, 2012 12:07PM   0 votes
I would suggest, Jillian Lauren and Rebecca Land Soodak. Some Girls My Life in a Harem by Jillian Lauren
Henny on the Couch by Rebecca Land Soodak

Jillian Lauren's is a memoir that touches on drugs, sex, and a disruptive past. Really intriguing and telling.

Rebecca's is a novel about motherhood, childhood learning disabilities, and the desire of being something outside of what you're already classified as.

Both very well written books that are impressive selfers when finished.

I really loved The Night Circus--it's a different angle for the coming-of-age story and has fantastic imagery and storytelling. If you're looking for strong female characters, I read The Poisonwood Bible: A Novel a few years ago and loved, loved, loved it! It's a more "realistic" story and setting compared to The Night Circus (like White Oleander), and tells of the joys and tribulations of a missionary family with four daughters from various points of view. Both of these are absolutely brilliant!

Melliott I really disliked that book--couldn't get through it. And I am a big fan of Kingsolver's otherwise.
Jan 15, 2014 12:02AM

Amy Tan's books, they are very good.

-The Kite Runner
-Memoirs of a Geisha

Saby wrote: "I love the prose, the imagery, the characters. I love how we get to walk around and live the life of the character. This is a well written solid book. The story is fine. But that is not what in..."

White Oleander is my favorite book of all time. It's brilliant. Nothing can touch it, but a couple of my faves that are similar in writing structure and poetic detailing are "Hold Still" by Nina LaCour and "Before I Die" by Jenny Downham. Give those a try, I think you'll like them. (:

Hold Still by Nina LaCour Before I Die by Jenny Downham

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

White Oleander (other topics)
The Dive From Clausen's Pier (other topics)
Divining Rod (other topics)
Girl With a Pearl Earring (other topics)
Cat's Eye (other topics)
More...