Horror Aficionados discussion

Tanith Lee
This topic is about Tanith Lee
Authors > Tanith Lee

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mairéad (new)

Mairéad | 13 comments I've never read her books before but she's been recommended to me several times. I've heard that some of her work is classified as Y.A and that some of her other work can be quite disturbing at times! I'm just looking to have her make the best possible first impression on me as I'm really hoping to like her books!

Recommendations please? (:

message 2: by Scott (new)

Scott It wasn't the first thing I read but the one that hooked me and made me love her work was Dark Dance. It's the first part of an ongoing saga but IIRC it stands on its own pretty well.

Some other great ones published during Dell's horror heyday are Heartbeast and Elephantasm.

I've also enjoyed her YA fantasy series that begins with Black Unicorn. She has a great sense of humor which shows through in these.

Hope you enjoy! She is one of my favorites.

message 3: by Simon (new)

Simon (friedegg) There were some excellent horror stories in this collection: Forests of the Night although there's fantasy and SF in there as well.

message 4: by Bandit (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 8226 comments I just got Dark Dance at a sidewalk sale, glad to hear it's good.

message 5: by Mairéad (new)

Mairéad | 13 comments Scott wrote: "It wasn't the first thing I read but the one that hooked me and made me love her work was Dark Dance. It's the first part of an ongoing saga but IIRC it stands on its own pretty well...."

Hmm Dark Dance sounds great, I just read the description on Amazon! and it's given a higher rating on Amazon, 4.5 stars! (:

I'm wary that Heart Beast and Elephantasm only have an average of 3.5 stars as a rating on Goodreads...low in my eyes, but on Amazon they have 4 stars so I reckon I'll be reading them soon! (:

message 6: by Mairéad (new)

Mairéad | 13 comments Scott wrote: "It wasn't the first thing I read but the one that hooked me and made me love her work was Dark Dance. It's the first part of an ongoing saga but IIRC it stands on its own pretty well...."

I saw you mentioned "Dell's horror heyday" and I didn't know what you meant but I came across it again in an Amazon review of one of Lee's books. Are you talking about the Abyss Horror (Dell) label?
From what I read in that review it says that the label was short-lived but published a lot in the 90's and introduced the reviewer to a lot of great horror! Now I'm intrigued! I love music and books from the 90's, I don't know if it's just me being nostalgic for the decade of my childhood, but I feel that books from the 90's (and even the 80's) were different to those of today, I dunno, like less slick, if that makes sense? But that's a good thing! They also appear to have been darker? I know regarding horror films anyway that I'm very loyal to early Hammer and early Universal Studios, you know all that B movie stuff! ^^,

message 7: by Mairéad (new)

Damn, none of the libraries in my county have any of the Lee books you've suggested! :(
Are they worth ordering online? Even if I haven't read any of her stuff? Hopefully the used bookshops in town with have some of her stuff!

message 8: by Scott (new)

Scott Yes, I was referring to the Abyss years. Some of the best stuff I've read came out under that imprint. Some of it was rubbish, but a lot of it was good. Even after Abyss dissolved Dell continued to publish some good work from Lee, Brian Hodge, Dennis Etchison, etc.

I think all the books I mentioned are worth seeking out. None of them should be expensive or hard-to-find.

She's also written science fiction; I believe The Silver Metal Lover and Biting the Sun are still in print. It's very soft SF; the technology in it almost seems magical and how it works isn't important. So it's not at all technical.

message 9: by Scott (new)

Scott I just realized you are in Ireland. I don't know if that would make it harder or easier to find her books. I'm sure they have all been published there as well. Headline publishes her in the U.K.; do you find those in your bookstores? One I really liked that was never published in the U.S. is When the Lights Go Out.

message 10: by Mairéad (new)

Mairéad | 13 comments Scott wrote: "Yes, I was referring to the Abyss years. Some of the best stuff I've read came out under that imprint. Some of it was rubbish, but a lot of it was good. Even after Abyss dissolved Dell continued..."

That's great, I often avoid sci-fi because of it being too technical!!

message 11: by Mairéad (new)

Mairéad | 13 comments Scott wrote: "I just realized you are in Ireland. I don't know if that would make it harder or easier to find her books. I'm sure they have all been published there as well. Headline publishes her in the U.K...."

Ya it's fine, I'm just about to call the second hand bookshops in town now and see if they have any of Lee's books. If they don't, I see from their sites anyway, that the the regular mainstream bookshops have her stuff, but not Dark Dance or, Elephantasm or Heartbeast! :(
I usually get caught out like this anyway, with authors I've picked up in second hand bookshops, and then I can't find more of their stuff in Ireland! :( Or the bookshops only carry one series by the author, and not the one I want! >:(
I usually buy online then, it's cheaper! Especially with the book depository site, post and packaging is free! (:
And I just bought a book on Amazon for 1 cent, and with the post and packaging it amounted to just over 4 euro, so it's the same as buying second hand here, only that this book is new!