Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Ever had a reading vacation? Michigan for Sale!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 81 (81 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 2: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments I read this article yesterday! I wish. I haven't been on any kind of vacation, reading or otherwise, in about 5 years.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I was going to go to Boston this weekend and visit friends and babies of friends and go to ReaderCon, but I'm at war with Southwest and didn't end up able to buy tickets.

I guess fall is a better time for Boston anyway.

message 4: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments Stupid airlines. ReaderCon sounds so cool...

message 5: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) I tried to do a reading vacation last June. I went to stay with my sister in Hawaii. All I wanted to do when she was at work was to stick my nose in a book. My brother-in-law couldn't quite understand that. He wanted to entertain me. It was my 6th or 7th time there and was way past the touristy thing. Still, I managed to read 3 books that week, most on the plane.

message 6: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Visits to my mother-in-laws become de facto reading vacations. She and my wife hang out with the kids, I get deathly bored, and I lock myself somewhere or hit a local coffee shop.

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments My reading vacations tend to be the ones where I'm snowed in. I love being snowed in.

message 8: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Yes, I agree, Pi. Especially if you're snowed in so bad that there's no question that anyone could go anywhere, and you don't have to shovel because no one is leaving, etc.

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Yes!

message 10: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24265 comments Mod
I always find time to read on vacations.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

We have the same holiday every year as the in-laws have a holiday home up the coast which comes at the right price(Free). When we go, my husband and kids know I am on a reading vacation. Weather it's on the beach, while the kids are fishing, I have my book with me.

message 12: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i rented a cabin in the fall 2 yrs ago when i got the new ken follet book World Without End a few years back and just stayed for a long weekend reading, drinking diet coke with lime and eating tortilla chips. it was wonderful

message 13: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6029 comments Kevin "El Liso Grande" wrote: "i rented a cabin in the fall 2 yrs ago when i got the new ken follet book World Without End a few years back and just stayed for a long weekend reading, drinking diet coke with lime and eating tor..."

Did you bring any guns?

message 14: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) That sounds like a nice vacation! I am excited to see a new Murakami on her advance list. I would still need to go on a nice long hike, walk the beach, a bike ride, or something. I could not just sit and read for days with no activity.

message 15: by Lori (new)

Lori Every August we go to a cabin on the beach of Orcas Island. All I do is read. I start on the Ferry and don't stop til I'm back home. Heaven.

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Lori wrote: "Every August we go to a cabin on the beach of Orcas Island. All I do is read. I start on the Ferry and don't stop til I'm back home. Heaven."

I'm still up for stowing away in your suitcase.

message 17: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments clark - no, it was archery season and i did bring my bow but never got it out of the truck. it was also quail / dove season but i did not bring a shotgun or my dog. i did fish though

message 18: by Farrah (new)

Farrah A reading vacation sounds so wonderful!

message 19: by Pat (new)

Pat (patb37) Two years ago, we went to a family wedding in Panama City Beach FL. We found a lovely bar on a pier at the Marriot. It featured seating in the shade, peace and quiet, a lovely view of the bay, and reasonably prices (for a Marriot) food and drink.

I have been trying to convince my husband that we should go back there with a stack of books and a pocket full of cash to spend a week eating, drinking and reading.

message 20: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Every year, my whole famdamily crams into a 4-bedroom cottage at Lakeside, Ohio, which is smug in its wholesomeness. I do swim and interact with the kids, but otherwise I nap and read. :)

message 21: by Lori (new)

Lori Famdamily. I like that.

message 22: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I long for a reading vacation.

message 23: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) I long for a vacation.

message 24: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I long for longing.

message 25: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17335 comments Mod
I vong for a veeding vacation.

message 26: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

I long for shorts.

message 27: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) How vong must ve viff dis vay?

message 28: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) I long.

message 29: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) One long and two shorts.

message 30: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) Larry wrote: "How vong must ve viff dis vay?"

For as vong as it takes.

message 31: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Lord haff mercy.

message 32: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

message 33: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) He looks pissed.

message 34: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) Ve haff vays to make you talk!

message 35: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17335 comments Mod
Long duck dong!

message 36: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

He iss pissed.

message 37: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Lick long dong.

message 38: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) Larry wrote: "Lick long dong."

TWSS? TWHS?

message 39: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Jonathan.

message 40: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) Jonathan wrote: "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-OMPQ..."

I didn't know Hitler could sing like that.

message 41: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Jonathan quick delete. :)

message 42: by Jonathan (new)

message 43: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments A born performer!

message 44: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments That he was...unfortunately.

I'd like to take a reading vacation toward the end of August and head up to Maine with a bag of books. I just need to make the time somehow.

message 45: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I love Acadia.

message 46: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Beautiful there.

message 47: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Northern Maine is like wilderness before the Industrial Revolution. Some very backwards folk up thar. Scary, even.

message 48: by Jonathan (last edited Jul 17, 2011 10:15AM) (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments I've spent time in the areas around Portland, Bath, and Bar Harbor--which are lovely places and very welcoming--but I haven't made it up to the northern, inland parts of the state. From your description, sounds like you don't necessarily recommend it.

message 49: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) You are wise beyond your years.

message 50: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments I'm not all that young, unfortunately, but thanks.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.