The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Favorite Authors/Books/Series > George Pelecanos

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nick (new)

Nick Wastnage (nickwastnage) | 32 comments I started reading George Pelecanos after viewing The Wire, which he co -wrote. I'm a crime writer and read the works of many other crime writers. I found Pelecanos's books compelling and different. The characters are gritty and rich and the urbane plots real and intense and burn into your brain. I would be interested to hear other views.
If you want a recommendation of his work, try The Turnaround

message 2: by Mohammed (new)

Mohammed  (mohammedaosman) I became Pelecanos fan before i knew of The Wire. I was looking for more modern,hardboiled,urban crime writers and was recommended him.

I admire his books that is similar to The Wire that he deals alot with social issues in urban areas. His Strange/Quinn series is very good, makes DC come alive really well.

I rate him among my fav modern crime writers.

message 3: by Nick (new)

Nick Wastnage (nickwastnage) | 32 comments Hi Mohammed

I haven't read the Strange/Quinn series. I'll check them out. Thanks.

message 4: by Mohammed (new)

Mohammed  (mohammedaosman) Nick wrote: "Hi Mohammed

I haven't read the Strange/Quinn series. I'll check them out. Thanks."

Im the opposite i have read Strange series first 3 books but i havent read The Tournaround, Shame the devil, The long Way home that i got afterwards. Its time for me to read his stand alone. I have missed his writing.

Strange series is his most popular series and i can see why. Let me know what you think afterwards.

message 5: by Nick (new)

Nick Wastnage (nickwastnage) | 32 comments Will do. Nice meeting you.

message 6: by Mohammed (new)

Mohammed  (mohammedaosman) Nice meeting you too Nick.

message 7: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimmr) I read all of Pelecanos' books long before I'd heard of The Wire. (And while I've seen some of The Wire, I haven't yet got to the seasons Pelacanos was involved with). I really like the fact that when reading his books I was emerged in a completely different world.

The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Turnaround (other topics)