Cult of Anoia discussion

Terry Pratchett
This topic is about Terry Pratchett
North American Discworld Convention

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbm1020 (new)

Barbm1020 | 145 comments Terry Pratchett appeared in person at the convention in Madison, WI this past weekend. He was delightfully entertaining, and he had some friends with him (Neil Gaiman even showed up!) They told a lot of funny stories. Stephen Baxter came and talked about the Discworld and its parallels with hard SiFi; he also read from his new book Ark. All the events were very good, from the group discussion on "How the Discworld Changed My Life" to gameshow spoof "The Wyrdest Link." The "maskerade" was excellent, and many folks dressed as their favorite characters during the weekend. There was great balloon art, filking graced by Nanny Ogg's contributions, and at night some quaffing in the con suite. Hand up who else was there?

message 2: by Barbm1020 (new)

Barbm1020 | 145 comments p.s. I met Anoia in the elevator and she had a spatula in her hair.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm glad you had such a great time, Barb!! I wish I could have been there, too.

Did they say anything about Snuff (Discworld, #39) by Terry Pratchett ? How is TP doing health-wise? Do you have any photos?

message 4: by Barbm1020 (new)

Barbm1020 | 145 comments TP seemed tired - who wouldn't after traveling from England to Wisconsin and then having to be on display all day for 3 days? - but very articulate and witty. His P.A., Rob, who is likable and talkative himself, was right at hand all the time. Snuff is ready and they were happy to have it completed because TP felt it was an important project for him as he faces perhaps a long future of declining health with no real timeline. btw Snuff is a dog.

message 5: by Barbm1020 (new)

Barbm1020 | 145 comments I've just uploaded a photo of my character, and more are at the Seamstresses Guild page on Facebook.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Ah, yet another meaning of the word "Snuff." I hope this is not his last Vimes. If it is, I hope it's outstanding! Will be a sad day when he publishes his last book.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Barbm1020 wrote: "p.s. I met Anoia in the elevator and she had a spatula in her hair."

That must have been hilarious. Did she have a cig hanging out of her mouth, too?

I don't see your photo on your profile page, btw. I'll look on FB.

message 8: by Barbm1020 (new)

Barbm1020 | 145 comments lol, no cig, maybe 'cause there's no smoking in the elevator? My pic is on the Cult of Anoia group home. (Do we all belong in a Group Home?)

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I forgot about our Group Home! lol

message 10: by Jumana (new)

Jumana | 5 comments wish I could have been there? Was there any mention of any projects after Snuff?

message 11: by Barbm1020 (new)

Barbm1020 | 145 comments Yes, he and Stephen Baxter are working on something called The Long Earth, which is about parallel worlds.

message 12: by Arthur (new)

Arthur Hall (the_take) | 17 comments Barbm1020 wrote: "Terry Pratchett appeared in person at the convention in Madison, WI this past weekend. He was delightfully entertaining, and he had some friends with him (Neil Gaiman even showed up!) They told ..."
I'm so glad you got to attend this time. I remember walking around on a cloud for months after the first convention in 2009. I was all set to attend this one, but had to cancel due to some conflicts in my schedule (both of which - school related - ended up cancelling two days before the con started... grrr!).

**Caution - Sob story ahead!**

I still get teary-eyed thinking of my copy of Once More with Footnotes -- the one my precious first-born gave me for Christmas last year -- sitting on its shelf, unsigned.

Excuse me, I think I'll go lie down for a while (or until the boss nudges me with his toe and tells me to get back to work :) )

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Have a nice cry, Arthur. :( Bosses can be so unkind.

message 14: by Arthur (new)

Arthur Hall (the_take) | 17 comments Jeannette wrote: "Have a nice cry, Arthur. :( Bosses can be so unkind."

Thanks Jeannette, I feel a little better now. And, to be fair, my boss is only unkind when he catches me :)

I really was pretty unhappy about missing the Discworld con this year. When I saw on the #nadwcon Twitter feed that Neil Gaiman had just made a surprise appearance, I was quite upset that couldn't be there.

Oh well, my wife and I will just need to start planning a trip to the UK to attend the next convention there.

message 15: by Marissa (new)

Marissa | 22 comments Thanks for the pictures, they are fabulous! I must get to one of these conventions. I looked at the Seamstress Guild on facebook and it's great! Thanks so much for sharing. :)

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Attending the con in the UK would be great! We were in Germany, and came back the same weekend as this con. If it weren't for poor scheduling, I would have gotten to see Sir Terry.

message 17: by Barbm1020 (new)

Barbm1020 | 145 comments There was some talk about next year's NADWCON being in Boston or Washington, but I think Madison will be it again. It all depends on local fan involvement and I understand the Seamstresses (Madison fans) are already making plans.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I hope so! I am so bummed that the con was within driving distance and I was out of the country!! I'm following their page on Facebook now.