Imprinted Life discussion

My Life in France
This topic is about My Life in France
My Life in France. Julia Child

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Betty (olderthan18) | 617 comments This weekend I'm going to read My Life in France by Julia Child. Some members have read this biography and like it very much.

Betty (olderthan18) | 617 comments Anne wrote: "It's great!"

And...Julia Child's correspondence As Always, Julia: The Letters of Julia Child and Avis DeVoto. I won't get to that one but might learn more, or be inspired, about French cooking, a dish of which would probably count as dessert for me.

message 4: by Marieke (new) - added it

Marieke | 58 comments i'm trying to get the "As Always" book, too. i had some trouble today getting "My Life in France" from work, but it looks like i can get it from the public library. i'm hoping i have an email tomorrow morning saying that i can get "As Always" is ready for me...

somehow i'll squeeze these in! every friend of mine who has read "My Life," gave it five stars.

Betty (olderthan18) | 617 comments Marieke wrote: "i'm trying to get the "As Always" book, too. i had some trouble today getting "My Life in France" from work, but it looks like i can get it from the public library. i'm hoping i have an email tomor..."

It's Friday morning and am in the middle of Love Virtually by Daniel Glattauer, a series of emails and an amusement. Saturday through Monday are for My Life of France, rather Julia's Life in France. sigh. I truly hope your library book arrives, however this biography, a perennial favorite, is as fresh as when it was lived, written, and published.

message 6: by Marieke (new) - added it

Marieke | 58 comments I have the book of letters! I am hoping to get My Life, I mean Julia's Life, tomorrow from the public library...I don't know if I'll be able to start right away, though. Asmah, you are always throwing wrenches in my reading plans! ;)

message 7: by Marieke (new) - added it

Marieke | 58 comments i should probably wait to read the letters until i have read the bio, right? advice?

Betty (olderthan18) | 617 comments Marieke wrote: "I have the book of letters! I am hoping to get My Life, I mean Julia's Life, tomorrow from the public library...I don't know if I'll be able to start right away, though. Asmah, you are always throw..."

The new epistolary book, "As Always..."(2010) looks good, but my dance card after 'My Life...' is bursting for July into August. What about a 'Julia Child Free-for-All', an unrestricted discussion of any of her books?

Betty (olderthan18) | 617 comments Marieke wrote: "i should probably wait to read the letters until i have read the bio, right? advice?"

I would have to have read both books. Anne read both of them.

message 10: by Marieke (new) - added it

Marieke | 58 comments i'm up for a Julia Child free-for-all! :D

i've got a couple of things i need/want to read before i can sink my teeth into any/either Julia Child book, but i'm curious to know Anne's thoughts on which to read first between the bio and the letters...

Anne (On semi-hiatus) (reachannereach) I thought you'd never ask. Definitely read My Life In France. It's very special. The letters are okay, but nothing compared to My Life.

message 12: by Ellen (new) - added it

Ellen (karenvirginiaflaxman) Anne wrote: "I thought you'd never ask. Definitely read My Life In France. It's very special. The letters are okay, but nothing compared to My Life."

I read "My Life" a couple of months ago, and really enjoyed it. I could hear Julia's voice as I was reading it! LOL! I'd highly recommend this book. I haven't tackled the letters yet, though. Sorry - I'm new to the group, and happy to be here! Thanks!

message 13: by Marieke (new) - added it

Marieke | 58 comments I succeeded in getting My Life today! so i'll read it before the letters, per Anne's suggestion...i tried to get her famous cookbook to look at along with the bio and letters, but i'll have to try at work.

Betty (olderthan18) | 617 comments Ellen wrote: "I read "My Life" a couple of months ago, and really enjoyed it. I could hear Julia's voice as I was reading it! LOL! I'd highly recommend this book. I haven't tackled the letters yet..."

I'm starting "My Life..." as we speak, Ellen. It appears you're in the 'Julia Child Free-for-All', reading at least one of these:
My Life in France;
As Always, Julia: The Letters of Julia Child and Avis DeVoto;
Mastering the Art of French Cooking: Volumes 1 and 2;
more!

Betty (olderthan18) | 617 comments Marieke wrote: "I succeeded in getting My Life today! so i'll read it before the letters, per Anne's suggestion...i tried to get her famous cookbook to look at along with the bio and letters, but i'll have to try ..."

All good! She authored a number of books, per her Profile Page. Cheers.

message 16: by Marieke (new) - added it

Marieke | 58 comments it's so funny that i've never read anything by her or about her! i used to love watching her show. i think this free-for-all could be really fun, especially if we challenge each other to cook something from "Mastering the Art of French Cooking." :D (and post pictures!)

Anne (On semi-hiatus) (reachannereach) Marieke wrote: "it's so funny that i've never read anything by her or about her! i used to love watching her show. i think this free-for-all could be really fun, especially if we challenge each other to cook somet..."

I'll drink to that - French wine of course.

message 18: by Marieke (new) - added it

Marieke | 58 comments ha! yes...i think i only have Spanish wine on hand right now but i can fix that. ;)

Anne (On semi-hiatus) (reachannereach) Marieke wrote: "ha! yes...i think i only have Spanish wine on hand right now but i can fix that. ;)"

Once you start reading My Life you will run out to the store not only for the French wine but for all sorts of French things.

message 20: by Marieke (new) - added it

Marieke | 58 comments i've always gravitated toward the Spanish side of the Pyrenees and the Italian side of the Riviera, so i'm very curious to see how quickly i get converted...the only French cooking i've done is i guess Provencal...?

Anne (On semi-hiatus) (reachannereach) Marieke wrote: "i've always gravitated toward the Spanish side of the Pyrenees and the Italian side of the Riviera, so i'm very curious to see how quickly i get converted...the only French cooking i've done is i g..."
Me too. Julia can get very fancy, but she also likes very simple and fresh things. You'll see.

message 22: by Ellen (new) - added it

Ellen (karenvirginiaflaxman) Asmah wrote: "Ellen wrote: "I read "My Life" a couple of months ago, and really enjoyed it. I could hear Julia's voice as I was reading it! LOL! I'd highly recommend this book. I haven't tackled the letters yet...."

Oh, yes, you're so right, Anne. I adore Julia Child! I have owned "Mastering" since I was a teenager; I have the 1966 one-volume edition of the book, and have used it frequently over the years. I really enjoyed reading "My Life", and plan to read the "Letters" at some point in the future. I have so many books on my to-read list it's silly, but I simply cannot stop adding books introduced to me here on Goodreads. Who knew that there were so many fabulous books waiting to be read, both newer and those from centuries ago? As is said, "So many books, so little time!" Thanks!

Betty (olderthan18) | 617 comments Marieke wrote: "it's so funny that i've never read anything by her or about her! i used to love watching her show. i think this free-for-all could be really fun, especially if we challenge each other to cook somet..."

Wow, I love the idea. Yum. Possibly paired with a glass of wine...

Betty (olderthan18) | 617 comments With all the butter and wine, Paul and Julia (=PJ or Pulia) lived into their nineties.

Betty (olderthan18) | 617 comments Ellen wrote: "...I adore Julia Child! I have owned "Mastering" since I was a teenager; I have the 1966 one-volume edition of the book, and have used it frequently over the years. ..."

I cooked mostly plain, provincial food from Fannie Farmer and Betty Crocker but admired the French way of cooking.

message 26: by Marieke (new) - added it

Marieke | 58 comments I can't do dairy but I have no problems with oils...and I love red wine :D

Didn't Julia drink wine while she cooked? I will do my best to emulate her.

And thanks guys, now I want to toss all my other reading aside and just dive into this. :S

Betty (olderthan18) | 617 comments Anne wrote: "...Julia can get very fancy, but she also likes very simple and fresh things. You'll see.
..."

Exotic as well, Anne. Julia had a penchant for that, different from her upbringing.

Anne (On semi-hiatus) (reachannereach) Ellen, I feel your pain.

Anne (On semi-hiatus) (reachannereach) Marieke wrote: "I can't do dairy but I have no problems with oils...and I love red wine :D

Yep, she did. You are in for a treat. I may just have to re-read the book with you guys to take part in the fun.

Anne (On semi-hiatus) (reachannereach) Asmah wrote: "Anne wrote: "...Julia can get very fancy, but she also likes very simple and fresh things. You'll see.
..."

Exotic as well, Anne. Julia had a penchant for that, different from her upbringing."

She did it all. She was a wonder in many ways.

Betty (olderthan18) | 617 comments Marieke wrote: "...now I want to toss all my other reading aside and just dive into this. ..."

Exactly, as in...can't put down this book.

Anne (On semi-hiatus) (reachannereach) Asmah wrote: "With all the butter and wine, Paul and Julia (=PJ or Pulia) lived into their nineties."

Good genes. No other way to account for it.

Betty (olderthan18) | 617 comments Anne wrote: "...Good genes..."

True, Anne. There's the genes (nature) and the environment (nurture). I gather she liked activity and fun. That's why I am into this memoir...to get a sense of her spiritedness and liveliness. At least that's the way I picture her. Out of the public eye, she might have been "private" about her personal life. According to her grand-nephew Alex Prud'Homme, at the beginning of their co-authorship ...she was essentially a private person who didn't like to reveal herself. So, this story is all the more valuable.

Anne (On semi-hiatus) (reachannereach) Asmah wrote: "Anne wrote: "...Good genes..."

True, Anne. There's the genes (nature) and the environment (nurture). I gather she liked activity and fun. That's why I am into this memoir...to get a sense of her s..."

Her sense of fun comes across as well as her and her positive attitude towards life. The book doesn't "dish" on her personal relationship with her husband- we know nothing about that really. Nice of her nephew to keep her private life private.

message 35: by Ellen (new) - added it

Ellen (karenvirginiaflaxman) Marieke wrote: "I can't do dairy but I have no problems with oils...and I love red wine :D

And thanks guys, now I want to toss all my ..."

Yes, I believe Julia did drink a bit of wine while cooking, and enjoyed it very much! I think once one starts this book one finds it difficult to stop for the night, at least that was true for me. Just loved it.

message 36: by Ellen (new) - added it

Ellen (karenvirginiaflaxman) Anne wrote: "Asmah wrote: "Anne wrote: "...Good genes..."

True, Anne. There's the genes (nature) and the environment (nurture). I gather she liked activity and fun. That's why I am into this memoir...to get a ..."

I agree so very much with you, Asmah. Julie and Paul both had a sense of joie de vivre, and Julia stayed on the sunny side of the street as much as she could possibly do. I think sometimes that I ought to take a page from her book and enjoy every day as much as she did. It seems as though with Julia it was all or nothing; once she decided to do something or to write something she jumped in with both feet, you know? Quite a woman!

Betty (olderthan18) | 617 comments Ellen wrote: "I agree so very much with you, Asmah. Julie and Paul both had a sense of joie de vivre, and Julia stayed on the sunny side of the street as much as she could possibly do. I think sometimes that I ought to take a page from her book and enjoy every day as much as she did. ..."

thks, Ellen. You're right. An optimistic attitude also contributes to longevity! Seeing the cup half full. I am so eager to get further along in this book to understand more your comment in the context of Julia's writing.

Betty (olderthan18) | 617 comments Anne wrote: "...I may just have to re-read the book with you guys to take part in the fun. ..."

I noticed that you found another book about Julia Child, Baking with Julia: Sift, Knead, Flute, Flour, And Savor... by Dorie Greenspan. Yes.

Anne (On semi-hiatus) (reachannereach) Asmah wrote: "Anne wrote: "...I may just have to re-read the book with you guys to take part in the fun. ..."

I noticed that you found another book about Julia Child, [book:Baking with Julia: Sift, Knead, Flute..."

I found two. I never put my cookbooks on my shelves. I also have the Julia and Jacques book.

message 40: by Betty (last edited Jul 17, 2011 09:42PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Betty (olderthan18) | 617 comments Anne wrote: "...I never put my cookbooks on my shelves. I also have the Julia and Jacques book."

Julia and Jacques Cooking at Home, is this the companion book to a PBS series? Readers highly rate this book. So, where are all your C/Bs?

Anne (On semi-hiatus) (reachannereach) Asmah wrote: "Anne wrote: "...I never put my cookbooks on my shelves. I also have the Julia and Jacques book."

Julia and Jacques Cooking at Home, is this the companion book to a PBS series? Reader..."

I don't know anything about a PBS series. I bought the book inexpensively from Bookcloseout.com.

message 42: by Marieke (new) - added it

Marieke | 58 comments i've decided to read "My Life" over the upcoming weekend.

and this is not about Julia or Jacques...but here are some books about wine!

Betty (olderthan18) | 617 comments Marieke wrote: "i've decided to read "My Life" over the upcoming weekend.

and this is not about Julia or Jacques...but here are some books about wine!"

That's good news, Marieke. And, I'll have to browse through the shelves about wine/winemaking...

message 44: by Ellen (new) - added it

Ellen (karenvirginiaflaxman) Anne wrote: "Ellen, I feel your pain."

Thanks, Anne! I've not been here for days, and am so far behind it's ridiculous! Sigh... But still reading a lot, at least. Hope you're well and enjoy following Julia around Paris! Thanks.

Anne (On semi-hiatus) (reachannereach) I am enjoying reading the book for the second time.

message 46: by Ellen (new) - added it

Ellen (karenvirginiaflaxman) Anne wrote: "I am enjoying reading the book for the second time."

That's wonderful, Anne. It's definitely worth a second read-through. Have fun!!

Betty (olderthan18) | 617 comments Even though Julia took the Cordon Bleu course for professional cooks, her culinary aim was "traditional French home cooking", a combination of methods and recipes--
It is not enough that the 'how'[of making hollandaise or mayonnaise be explained. One should know the 'why,'the pitfalls, the remedies, the keeping, the serving, etc.,...This is a new type of cookbook.(150)
The result was [book:Mastering the Art of French Cooking], which her friend Avis De Voto introduced to the publisher Houghton Mifflin (151ff).
Does someone remember the replica of her Cambridge kitchen at the Museum of American History, Smithsonian? And, the poularde Waterzooi she mentions, I recall at a restaurant in Bruges.

message 48: by Marieke (new) - added it

Marieke | 58 comments I don't think the kitchen in the smithsoniam is a replica...I thought it was her actual kitchen? Hm...I have forgotten.

Betty (olderthan18) | 617 comments Marieke wrote: "I don't think the kitchen in the smithsoniam is a replica...I thought it was her actual kitchen? Hm...I have forgotten."

You're correct, Marieke. Here are some online FAQs about it:
http://americanhistory.si.edu/news/fa...

message 50: by Marieke (new) - added it

Marieke | 58 comments Ok so I can't believe I haven't visited it yet. I'm going to try to do it next weekend. And the food exhibit at the National Archives. This weekend I am going to read My Life and make ice cream. I keep thinking tomorrow is Saturday but it's not. :(

« previous 1