Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

General Discussion > Can you guys recommend books with kick ass females?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 89 (89 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by C.C. (new)

C.C. | 219 comments Books with stupid and spineless females really piss me off. Can any of you recommend books with cool heroines.
Thanks

message 2: by Brenna (new)

Brenna Lyons (BrennaLyons) | 177 comments I'd suggest quite a few. Sherrilyn Kenyon's Hunters (Dark Hunter, Were Hunter, and Dream Hunter), for sure. She doesn't really write weak females. I'd also suggest most of my books. None of my females are spineless or stupid. A few aren't as Kickass as others are, but I tend to write strong females.

message 3: by Kati (new)

Kati Ferry | 19 comments Night Huntress" books by Jeaniene Frost has a kickass main female character. I think she is awesome and secretly I wanna be her!

I really liked the "Unholy Ghosts" series by Stacia Kane; now its not exactly PR its more UF but I do love the heroine in those novels and there is an awesome love story that seems realistic but its not the main story.

message 4: by Shelly (new)

Shelly (mashbay) Kate Daniels are great, but really UF. Love them!

message 5: by Schay (last edited Jul 14, 2011 04:49AM) (new)

Schay | 72 comments Here's a few suggestions from my own shelf:

Nalini Singh's Guild Hunter series: Angels' Blood (Guild Hunter, #1) by Nalini Singh
Keri Arthur's Riley Jenson Guardian Series: Full Moon Rising (Riley Jenson Guardian, #1) by Keri Arthur
Rachel Cain's Outcast Season series Undone (Outcast Season, #1) by Rachel Caine
Lilith Saintcrow's Strange Angel series (YA): Strange Angels (Strange Angels, #1) by Lilith Saintcrow

All of the main heroines can hold their own in a fight :D

message 6: by ILOVEDAMON (new)

ILOVEDAMON (: | 3 comments You should give this series a go, Richelle Mead is an amazing author and writes the best books !

Vampire Academy

message 7: by Joseph (last edited Jul 14, 2011 05:02AM) (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 216 comments Faith Hunter's Jane Yellowrock jumps right to mind. Jane is a shapeshifting bounty hunter who knows how to win a fight with vampires and other monsters.

message 8: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Mannarino (joyce82270) | 155 comments I agree with Kati. Cat is a kick ass female. So is Riley Jenson from Full Moon Rising.

message 9: by Cassandra (last edited Jul 14, 2011 07:56AM) (new)

Cassandra  (monkeycstars) | 29 comments Anita Blake Series by Laurell K. Hamilton Laurell K. Hamilton Set - Guilty Pleasures, The Laughing Corpse, Circus of the Damned and The Lunatic Cafe (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #1-4) by Laurell K. Hamilton
...she's a tough chick that makes her own $ and kicks butt
Laurell K. Hamilton

message 10: by Aimee (new)

Aimee Laine (aimee_laine) | 49 comments I actually really love the JD Robb Series with Eve Dallas. I know it's not PNR (It's sci/fi/futuristic romance/mystery) but man, that woman is a kick-asser. ;)

Fantasy in Death (In Death, #30) by J.D. Robb <-- for example.

:)

Aimee, author Little White Lies

message 11: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashleylaura87) | 162 comments Well, in my opinion the chick who becomes (you get to see her journey and growth) the MOST kickass of them all.

MacKayla "Mac" Lane from the Fever series

Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie Moning Bloodfever (Fever, #2) by Karen Marie Moning Faefever (Fever, #3) by Karen Marie Moning Dreamfever (Fever, #4) by Karen Marie Moning Shadowfever (Fever, #5) by Karen Marie Moning

Michelle(Chelle) aka Nightshade - Cake Whisperer (michmag) You should definitely read the Night Huntress books by Jeaniene Frost, Guild Hunter series by Nalini Singh and Vampire Academy books by Richelle Mead. All kickass heroines and hot powerful men as well.

Mlpmom (Book Reviewer) (mlpmombookreviewer) | 839 comments I will second Kate Daniels, Vampire Academy, Night Huntress Series and the In Death Series. All fabulous series with wonderful leading woman and men!
I also like the Mercy Thompson series as well by Patricia Briggs.

message 14: by Kati (new)

Kati Ferry | 19 comments Ashley wrote: "Well, in my opinion the chick who becomes (you get to see her journey and growth) the MOST kickass of them all.

MacKayla "Mac" Lane from the Fever series

Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie Moning[bookcover:..."

I forgot about Mac! Its been a while since I read those books! that series is wonderful and I highly recommend it!

message 15: by Shelly (new)

Shelly (mashbay) Mac doesn't start out kickass though. That's my favorite series though so I highly recommend it!

message 16: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashleylaura87) | 162 comments Shelly wrote: "Mac doesn't start out kickass though. That's my favorite series though so I highly recommend it!"

I think that's the best thing about it! Seeing her grow and knowing what she came from makes it all the more fulfilling! :)

message 17: by QuotetheRaven (new)

QuotetheRaven | 8 comments Kati wrote: "Night Huntress" books by Jeaniene Frost has a kickass main female character. I think she is awesome and secretly I wanna be her!

I really liked the "Unholy Ghosts" series by Stacia Kane; now its ..."

Agreed Cat rocks!!

message 18: by Shelly (new)

Shelly (mashbay) Ashley wrote: "Shelly wrote: "Mac doesn't start out kickass though. That's my favorite series though so I highly recommend it!"

I think that's the best thing about it! Seeing her grow and knowing what she came f..."

Definitely, but if you are looking for kickass and start reading you may not know to keep reading!

Charlotte (Buried in Books) | 386 comments How about Jaz Parks? One of my favourite series - Jaz seriously kicks ass - starts with Once Bitten, Twice Shy, final book in the series is due out later this year.

message 20: by Kimi (new)

Kimi (kimisokool) | 60 comments ILOVEDAMON wrote: "You should give this series a go, Richelle Mead is an amazing author and writes the best books !

Vampire Academy"

I agree that Rose is absolutely amazing, real, and kick ass! I can relate to her. I love Rose. I've never believed in a female character so much! =)

message 21: by Lizbeth (new)

Lizbeth (LizbethReads) | 33 comments I agree with the suggestion of Kate Daniels. I really love tough girls as well and she is by far one of the toughest I've come across.

I find that you get more bad ass women in UF than PNR.

The Dorina Basarab books by Karen Chance are also great, they are linked to another series with a uhm, slightly whiny female lead. But Dorina is really hard core.

I liked Merit from the Chicagoland Vampire books, she started off a little nerdy but quickly became pretty B.A.

The Dark Swan series by Richelle Mead are pretty good. Kick butt lady with developing awesome powers.

The Hollows series by Kim Harrison, I cannot rec these books enough. I loved them so so so much. Rachel Morgan is a great character. She's really smart and funny and her partner Jinx is awesome. The first book is a little hard to get through but I promise it gets better. She kind of throws her world in your face without really explaining that much so you're a little lost at first.

I really enjoyed the first 3 Anita Blake books by Laurall K. Hamilton. Anita is funny, tough and a good person. After that...ehhh...

message 22: by AlbertaJenn (new)

AlbertaJenn My favourite heroine is Mercy Thompson. Briggs did a great job creating her.

message 23: by C.C. (new)

C.C. | 219 comments I've already read Vampire Academy, Night Huntress and Chicagoland Vampires... The heroines in these books are the reasons I loved PNR with kick as females (especially when they are paired with kick as males). I'll definitely check out your suggestions. Thanks again

message 24: by L-D (last edited Jul 15, 2011 01:30PM) (new)

L-D (lannie95) | 284 comments Shelly wrote: "Mac doesn't start out kickass though. That's my favorite series though so I highly recommend it!"

I know! She's like a pink barbie! I never anticipated how much I would grow to like her! I also like Rache, Jaz, Kate, Cassie, Dorina, and just started reading about Cat.

An underrated series is Downside Ghosts. Chess, the heroine is a Churchwitch and helps exorcise or debunk hauntings. She has magic, but she has lived a very rough life and is a drug addict. While she doesn't make the best decisions throughout the book, she's a survivor throughout and I admire her.

Last series I read was Nancy Holzner's Deadtown. This heroine is a shape-shifter demon hunter. She definitely holds her own.

Other good mentions are:
Gin the Elemental Assassin (Jennifer Estep).
Elena the Guild Hunter from Nalini Singh's Archangel series.
Sirantha Jax - jumper of Anne Aguirre's Grimspace series
Did anyone mention Lily from the Lupi series? She's not a bad ass as much as she is a great investigator - she does shoot her weapon well but she doesn't fight. But she's definitely a strong personality.
Kitty Kat from Gini Koch's Touched by an Alien series (a very humorous, underrated series)

@Charlotte - I thought the Jaz Parks series was over because the author, Jennifer Rardin, died last September?

message 25: by Charlotte (Buried in Books) (last edited Jul 15, 2011 01:52PM) (new)

Charlotte (Buried in Books) | 386 comments She did finish the final book The Deadliest Bite before she died. From what I've heard it does tie things up.

I'm sad it's going to be over - but I'm really enjoying re-reading the series ready for the final book.

She created a great team in Jaz and Vayl.

I was really suprised by her death, but then I guess suicide is never expected.

message 26: by L-D (new)

L-D (lannie95) | 284 comments Charlotte (Buried in Books) wrote: "She did finish the final book The Deadliest Bite before she died. From what I've heard it does tie things up.

I'm sad it's going to be over - but I'm really enjoying re-reading the..."

Oh wow - I didn't realize it was a suicide. That's so sad. I thought she was sick. I liked the series also. I really liked Vayl. Did you read all of her shorts? They were all a bit too short, but still good. I liked Scouting Jasmine.

Where do you live? Deadliest Bite was released here in June....

message 27: by David (new)

David Burton (davidhburton) I was really partial to Cathy Clamp's Thrall series, starting with Touch of Evil (Thrall #1) by C.T. Adams . Love, love, love!

message 28: by Becky (new)

Becky  (bucktuskl) | 69 comments Immortals After Dark by Kresley Cole
Midnight Breed by Lara Adrian

message 29: by Julie *-* (new)

Julie *-* (ladymamaj) | 98 comments The mercedes Thompson series is good too. Mercy can hold her own with a bunch of werewolves. Moon Called (Mercedes Thompson, #1) by Patricia Briggs Blood Bound (Mercedes Thompson, #2) by Patricia Briggs Iron Kissed by Patricia Briggs Bone Crossed (Mercy Thompson Series #4) by Patricia Briggs Silver Borne (Mercedes Thompson, #5) by Patricia Briggs River Marked (Mercedes Thompson, #6) by Patricia Briggs

Charlotte (Buried in Books) | 386 comments Lan-Dinh wrote: "Charlotte (Buried in Books) wrote: "She did finish the final book The Deadliest Bite before she died. From what I've heard it does tie things up.

I'm sad it's going to be over - bu..."

I'm in the UK, still waiting for my copy (Amazon are out of stock), they haven't released the short stories over here yet either.

message 31: by Kati (new)

Kati Ferry | 19 comments Julie wrote: "The mercedes Thompson series is good too. Mercy can hold her own with a bunch of werewolves.Moon Called (Mercedes Thompson, #1) by Patricia BriggsBlood Bound (Mercedes Thompson, #2) by Patricia BriggsIron Kissed by Patricia Briggs[bookcover:B..."

I have heard of that series being good as well though I havent read it yet. What would you give it from 1-10?

message 32: by Julie *-* (new)

Julie *-* (ladymamaj) | 98 comments Kati wrote: "Julie wrote: "The mercedes Thompson series is good too. Mercy can hold her own with a bunch of werewolves.Moon Called (Mercedes Thompson, #1) by Patricia BriggsBlood Bound (Mercedes Thompson, #2) by Patricia Briggs[bookcover:Iron Kissed|928237..."

I would give it a 8 at least. It was action pack but, for me, not enough heated scenes. ;)

message 33: by Kati (new)

Kati Ferry | 19 comments Julie wrote: "Kati wrote: "Julie wrote: "The mercedes Thompson series is good too. Mercy can hold her own with a bunch of werewolves.Moon Called (Mercedes Thompson, #1) by Patricia BriggsBlood Bound (Mercedes Thompson, #2) by Patricia Briggs[bookcover:Iron ..."

an 8! thats pretty good! I think ill try it....is it on the more UF side than PNR i'm guessing?

message 34: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 493 comments Kati wrote: "Night Huntress" books by Jeaniene Frost has a kickass main female character. I think she is awesome and secretly I wanna be her!

I really liked the "Unholy Ghosts" series by Stacia Kane; now its ..."

Cat from the Night Huntress series was the first one who came to my mind when I read this question. Other series have strong female leads, but Cat really kicks butt.

message 35: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 493 comments Kick Butt females:
Cat from the Night Huntress series by Frost

Regan & Kaderin from Immortals After Dark series by Cole

Riley Jenson from Keri Arthur

Anita Blake from Hamilton

Some tough female leads are:
Mercy Thompson by Patricia Briggs

Jaxon & Sara & Natalya & Ivory from the Carpathian series by Feehan

Sookie Stackhouse from Harris

Rachel Morgan from Kim Harrison

message 36: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 493 comments Cassandra wrote: "Anita Blake Series by Laurell K. HamiltonLaurell K. Hamilton Set - Guilty Pleasures, The Laughing Corpse, Circus of the Damned and The Lunatic Cafe (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #1-4) by Laurell K. Hamilton
...she's a tough chick that mak..."

Anita would definately be towards the top of the list. How else would she get the nickname the executioner from the vampires, and she got it in a predominately male profession.

message 37: by Julie *-* (new)

Julie *-* (ladymamaj) | 98 comments Kati wrote: "Julie wrote: "Kati wrote: "Julie wrote: "The mercedes Thompson series is good too. Mercy can hold her own with a bunch of werewolves.Moon Called (Mercedes Thompson, #1) by Patricia BriggsBlood Bound (Mercedes Thompson, #2) by Patricia Briggs[b..."

ya I would say that. I did really enjoy it. There is also another shifter series that is great... Not one with a chicky as the main character but still really good... It's the Shelly Laurenston, Magnus Pack series and Pride series. Those are a little more heated! ;)

message 38: by Susan (new)

Susan | 1 comments Missyb wrote: "Cassandra wrote: "Anita Blake Series by Laurell K. HamiltonLaurell K. Hamilton Set - Guilty Pleasures, The Laughing Corpse, Circus of the Damned and The Lunatic Cafe (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #1-4) by Laurell K. Hamilton
...she's a to..."

I absolutely LOVE this series. She is a great writer.

message 39: by Kati (new)

Kati Ferry | 19 comments Julie wrote: "Kati wrote: "Julie wrote: "Kati wrote: "Julie wrote: "The mercedes Thompson series is good too. Mercy can hold her own with a bunch of werewolves.Moon Called (Mercedes Thompson, #1) by Patricia Briggs[bookcover:Blood Bou..."

Yeh I heard about the series! I think its actually on my list to of "to-reads". I feel like everyday that list gets longer and longer!!! Thanks!

message 40: by Julie *-* (new)

Julie *-* (ladymamaj) | 98 comments Kati wrote: "Julie wrote: "Kati wrote: "Julie wrote: "Kati wrote: "Julie wrote: "The mercedes Thompson series is good too. Mercy can hold her own with a bunch of werewolves.Moon Called (Mercedes Thompson, #1) by Patricia Briggs[bookc..."

I agree, my list gets longer and longer too... seems there are more books that I wanna read then there are that I am reading! lol. I guess I'm just going to have to read more! lol.

message 41: by L-D (new)

L-D (lannie95) | 284 comments I loved the Mercy series a LOT - especially Adam - but for some reason I had a heck of a time getting through the last book. I ended up skimming most of it and was really bored. Did anyone else have this issue?

message 42: by Sara (new)

Sara | 2 comments 1. Rose from VA by Richelle Mead

2.Sita, Alisa from The last vampire series by Christopher Pike

3. Elisseta from The Tairen soul series by C.L Wilson

4. Ally from Almost Human series by Melanie Nowak

message 43: by Julie *-* (new)

Julie *-* (ladymamaj) | 98 comments Lan-Dinh wrote: "I loved the Mercy series a LOT - especially Adam - but for some reason I had a heck of a time getting through the last book. I ended up skimming most of it and was really bored. Did anyone else h..."

I did too... I had a hard time getting through River MarkedI thought it was too different from the rest of the series. I enjoyed finding out more about Mercy but I thought it was a little too much but boring at the same time. Still a great series though! :)

message 44: by L-D (new)

L-D (lannie95) | 284 comments Julie wrote: "I did too... I had a hard time getting through River MarkedI thought it was too different from the rest of the series. "

Exactly.

message 45: by Shelly (new)

Shelly (mashbay) Julie wrote: "Lan-Dinh wrote: "I loved the Mercy series a LOT - especially Adam - but for some reason I had a heck of a time getting through the last book. I ended up skimming most of it and was really bored. ..."

LOL, Julie. Tried to friend you, answered your question correctly, and was denied!

message 46: by Julie *-* (new)

Julie *-* (ladymamaj) | 98 comments Shelly wrote: "Julie wrote: "Lan-Dinh wrote: "I loved the Mercy series a LOT - especially Adam - but for some reason I had a heck of a time getting through the last book. I ended up skimming most of it and was r..."

WHAT?!? lmao... maybe I should check that!! lol.

message 47: by PM (last edited Jul 20, 2011 02:58PM) (new)

PM (personalmiracle) | 242 comments How 'bout Harper Blaine in the Greywalker series by Kat Richardson? Kind of a different twist on paranormal urban fantasy and she doesn't just fall for the expected guy, either.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/14...

message 48: by ஐAndreaஐ (last edited Jul 20, 2011 01:12PM) (new)

ஐAndreaஐ (rosesrrblue) | 707 comments k, here are my favorite kick-ass heroins and the links to the first books in their series:

Cat - Halfway to the Grave
Rose - Vampire Academy
Kate - Magic Bites
Eugenie - Storm Born
Mac - Darkfever
Merit - Some Girls Bite
Elena - Angels' Blood
Dorian - Midnight's Daughter
Mercy - Moon Called
Gin - Spider's Bite

message 49: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 493 comments ஐAndreaஐ wrote: "k, here are my favorite kick-ass heroins and the links to the first books in their series:

Cat - Halfway to the Grave
Rose - Vampire Academy
Kate - [book:Magic Bi..."

Cat makes the vampires run when they recognize her. The Red Reaper.

message 50: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 493 comments Kati wrote: "Julie wrote: "The mercedes Thompson series is good too. Mercy can hold her own with a bunch of werewolves.Moon Called (Mercedes Thompson, #1) by Patricia BriggsBlood Bound (Mercedes Thompson, #2) by Patricia Briggs[bookcover:Iron Kissed|928237..."

Mercy is so scrappy. She lives in a wolf pack area (her neighbor is the alpha), she's good friends with a fae and a vampire, and she likes to antagonize that alpha wolf.

« previous 1