}~>O MERBOOKS: The Group For All Things Mermaid O<~{ discussion

How Do You Like Your Mermaids?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Garrett (last edited Jul 13, 2011 09:28PM) (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) This idea just popped into my head, and I knew I had to make a comment thread about it. How do you prefer to see mermaids portrayed? Do you favor the dark and sinister sirens, like the Pirates of the Caribbean ones? Or do you like them bubbly and lighthearted, like Aquamarine? Maybe you'd rather see them as free-spirited dreamers like Ariel. (Me personally, I like all mermaids, no matter if they're evil and man-eating, or sparkly and splashy.)

So, what about you guys?

message 2: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 1021 comments Mod
I lean more towards the darker aspects but I think it takes a nice blend of both to get it right.
I honestly just like them :)

message 3: by Emily, Merfreak & Tribute (last edited Jul 13, 2011 11:49PM) (new)

Emily (emilimcg) | 251 comments Mod
Although I love them all, I definitely prefer dark and sinister or at least not as bubbly. But that just might be because it seems like there are more books out right now that lean toward the bubbly side.

message 4: by Dana (new)

Dana (piyo) | 57 comments Garrett this is such an excellent question!

I think the great thing about mermaid mythology is that there are so many different stories and origins that it's almost as though you can find the mermaid (or selkie or whichever kind you like) that's tailor made just for you.

For me, I've always been a fan of all kinds, but I will admit I think my favorite kinds of mermaids are the more simple. Think Madison from Splash and Syrena (the gentle to her sister's dark) from Pirates of the Caribbean 4. They have this sort of innate magic without having any powers, such as control of the sea or the weather. Don't get me wrong, I think those mermaids are intersting in their own right, but I think some times we forget how beautiful and magical mermaids can be on their own. Sitting on rocks, combing their hair, singing their siren songs to lure sailors. Then again, that's just me.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

i like them sweet and sassy!!!!
:D

message 6: by Zoraida (new)

Zoraida | 77 comments mine are all different. like people! different colors, different features. all mermaids are unique :)

message 7: by Rogier (new)

Rogier (rorocapri) | 32 comments Madame wrote: "I don't like it when their dark and murderous but I definitely HATE it when their empty headed idiots! I also like my mermaids to be modest and not half naked."

same here lol

message 8: by Maija (new)

Maija Barnett (maija_barnett) | 10 comments Mermaids are so interesting because they're so complex. How cool is it to be able to live in two worlds? But I have to say that I'm not a big fan of the "Ariel" type. She's definitely too bubbly for me. So I guess I like them dark and conflicted... but still likable.

message 9: by Adriana (new)

Adriana B | 7 comments I prefer either one, as long as the story is good. I'm actually writing a short story on the darker ones now so it's defiantly interesting!

message 10: by Maari (new)

Maari (mergrl) | 11 comments i like dark in sinister mermaids but i also enjoy mermaids like Emily Windsnap because shes niether a girly mermaid or an evil mermaid.

message 11: by Maari (new)

Maari (mergrl) | 11 comments Madame wrote: "I don't like it when their dark and murderous but I definitely HATE it when their empty headed idiots! I also like my mermaids to be modest and not half naked."

i know right! :D