Book Talk with Kealan Patrick Burke discussion

Questions

Comments Showing 1-50 of 1,221 (1221 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 24 25

message 1: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Uminsky (benjaminu) Hey Kealan,

I recently ordered KIN from Cemetery Dance. I'm really curious as to how you tackled this particular brand of violent horror. I never really imagined that you would do a chain saw massacre type of homage... =)

What possessed you to enter into the sadistic/gorefest arena? Looking for a new challenge...? ;)

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Kealan,

I don't know if you remember or not, but we exchanged some e-mails a couple of years ago about e-publishing. I was inquiring about how so many of your books were OOP and hard to find, and you had yet to fully enter to the e-arena.

Now I see that you have. Are you finding that people are interested? Have physical copies sold more because of the e-copies?

I'm interesting in this for a couple of reasons:

1. curiosity
2. I'm looking to start my own small, boutique publishing company in the near future.

Thanks.

BTW, I recently purchased a beautiful copy of Currency of Souls. Haven't read it yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael | 9 comments Hi Kealan,

Not sure how much you'll be able to talk about this, but I was wondering about your work in relation to movies. I enjoyed the Peekers short, and I loved the screenplay for Mr. Goodnight that was in "The Number 121 to Pennsylvania" collection.

Do you have interest (or are there already things in the works) in taking any of your other stories to the big/small screen? Are there works you think would translate particularly well to film?

I'm not a filmmaker, so I'm not digging for leads--I've just thought that quite a bit of your work has a solid cinematic feel to it, and was wondering what your thoughts were.

Thanks for all of your books and stories, and thanks for doing the Q&A.

message 4: by Jason (new)

Jason (jgbradbury) | 1 comments Kealan, what's Timmy Quinn up to these days?

message 5: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Uminsky (benjaminu) Kealan wrote: "Benjamin wrote: "Hey Kealan,

I recently ordered KIN from Cemetery Dance. I'm really curious as to how you tackled this particular brand of violent horror. I never really imagined that you would do..."

Very cool Kealan... this will really be interesting. Your approach to a leatherface type of character kind of reminds me of what Rex Miller did with his Chaingang character in SLOB. His hyper-kinetic prose and strong characterization really brought an incredibly terrifying character to life.

message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael | 9 comments Thanks for the in-depth answer, Kealan!

message 7: by Michael (new)

Michael | 9 comments Kealan, I just saw your Facebook post about having Mr. Goodnight and Underneath optioned for films. Congratulations!

message 8: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 2066 comments I've got a question.

Why do you write horror?

message 9: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 2066 comments Kealan wrote: "Recluse: My mother was a big horror fan, so from a very early age I was exposed to lots of horror books and movies. I'd watch something like THE OMEN and then find myself terrified of the dark, but..."

Thanks for responding, Kealan.
Your answer pretty much sums up my reason for reading horror. A fascination with fear, whether transient or persistent.

Sharon/ LFrog1386 (lfrog1386) | 301 comments You are both so existential about the pathology of fear. Me? I just love it for the thrill it gives me! :)

message 11: by Char (new)

Char I've got a question too. Do you know the ending when you begin writing a book?

message 12: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Uminsky (benjaminu) I've got another questions as well Kealan. With your newest publication, Kin (congratulations again!!), and its very interesting subject matter... I was wondering...

Is there any topic or subject matter that you would consider beyond the pale? Is there anything, even in the horror genre, that you simply would not want to address in your writing?

message 13: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 2066 comments Now that is a great question!

message 14: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 2066 comments I've got a question that sort of follows Ben's.
Do you feel there is a trend toward going over the line in horror, as it concerns taboo subjects, gratuitous violence and gore?
That horror fiction is following horror movies down the slippery slope of overkill to appease shorter attention spans and baser tastes instead of raising the standards?

message 15: by Char (new)

Char Now that's a great question too!

message 16: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 2066 comments I have my moments. :P

message 17: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 2066 comments Kealan wrote: "Recluse: I think horror reflects the ages. We're now a society where there's little left to shock us, so writers and filmmakers feel compelled to look past taboos for things that will evoke a react..."

Nothing left to shock us, or are we numb from the stimulation of our baser impulses, becoming drooling sociopaths?

message 18: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 2066 comments I guess some folks just can't tell the difference between fear and their gag reflex.

I have more questions, but I can tell you're ready to throw something at me, so I'll hold off. :P

message 19: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 2066 comments You're a brave man, Kealan.

I was just involved in a discussion on another Forum, concerning Horror and it's attraction for people who feel like outsiders, or have suffered from traumatic events. Helping them deal with their fears. Escapist therapy, I guess.
Horror is all about facing fear. How do you feel about Horror being the voice of the victims, the lost and the broken? Perhaps even being the genre that takes the fight against certain "human" predators to the public, the way that "The Girl Next Door" or "Mr. Hands" did?

message 20: by Char (new)

Char Well said!

message 21: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 2066 comments Kealan, that is just perfect!

I'm gonna have that printed on a t-shirt for my next family get together!

The defense rests!

message 22: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 2066 comments Size and color preference?

message 23: by Jon Recluse (last edited Nov 25, 2011 01:41PM) (new)

Jon Recluse | 2066 comments T-shirts come in other colors? :P

message 24: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 2066 comments I have another question.
You recently mentioned your intention to write a noir book, which is why you chose to read Ellroy's BLACK DAHLIA. How much research will you be doing? Have you considered Chandler or his heir apparent, Andrew Vachss? Or Cornell Woolrich?
And what attracted you to noir?

message 25: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 2066 comments Well, I am looking forward to it. I'm a huge fan of noir. Fantastic atmosphere.
The first DVD I ever bought was THE BIG SLEEP, featuring both the original and the re-release.

message 26: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 2066 comments I have another question.

Now that you've decided to write a noir novel, and abandon your loyal fans for the bright lights of the mainstream, can you recommend a horror novelist we can switch our allegiance to? ;)

Sharon/ LFrog1386 (lfrog1386) | 301 comments LOL You know he's going to tell you to read his new stuff...and Scott Nicholson, too. :)

message 28: by Char (new)

Char LOL You know it!

message 29: by Char (new)

Char OMG, if I go look her up my TBR is going to topple, I just know it.

message 30: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 2066 comments Kealan wrote: "I don't write for mainstream, independent, cult, or anything else. I just write."

Well, naturally, that goes without saying. But, you do have to admit, when you say you write horror, people look at you like you molest shrubbery, or, God forbid, you vote Republican. ;)

message 31: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 2066 comments I have another question...

What form of horror do you find is the most difficult to write, short stories or novels?
And, do you know if an idea will be a novel or short story from square one?

message 32: by Char (new)

Char I have a question. I was chatting with Glen Krisch in another thread and picked up his two in one book that's on sale. I saw your name,Kealan, listed as an illustrator. According to Glen, you do all your own covers as well.
My question is: Don't you think it is unfair to the rest of us that you are blessed with so much talent?
*grinning*

message 33: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 2066 comments Cut it out, Charlene!
If Kealan's ego gets any bigger, there'll be no living with him. :P

Sharon/ LFrog1386 (lfrog1386) | 301 comments Hey I am impressed! I used to love to write and draw and would have loved to make a career out of it. I'm jealous!

message 35: by Char (new)

Char And now Glen says Kealan is an actor too!
I mean really, is this fair?

message 36: by Jon Recluse (last edited Dec 22, 2011 12:34PM) (new)

Jon Recluse | 2066 comments I used to write and draw, until the urge was beaten out of me. Literature's loss is abnormal psychology's gain. :P

Fair? I haven't seen him act, so I can't say.

message 37: by Char (new)

Char LOL recluse. You can still write...I've read some of your reviews. I mostly remember the one that stated fans of a certain author would follow him into hell with gasoline raincoats. Yeah, you can still write.

message 38: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 2066 comments Thanks, Charlene!

I found Kealan's movie!

Slime City Massacre

I'm off to see if I can buy a copy.

message 39: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 2066 comments Thanks for answering, Kealan!

I always thought that a short story, particularly a horror short story, would be the hardest to produce, given how little room you have to work with, to grab the reader's imagination and deliver a solid scare.

Americans have accents?
It's been so long since I've heard anyone speaking English...... :P

Sharon/ LFrog1386 (lfrog1386) | 301 comments LOL I heard the world's shortest horror story the other day-anyone ever see this before?

The last man on earth sat alone in a room. There was a knock at the door....

message 41: by Char (new)

Char Sharon/Froggy,
I read something similiar recently, it was about 3 lines. I guess the name for that is flash fiction?
I think it's awesome, but it seems to me that it must be very hard to write? Maybe not, I don't know.

message 42: by Char (new)

Char Recluse wrote: "Thanks, Charlene!

I found Kealan's movie!

Slime City Massacre

I'm off to see if I can buy a copy."

Recluse, I think one of the ladies in it, played the old lady with the dog in Something About Mary.
I still laugh whenever I think about that movie...
Franks and Beans!!

Sharon/ LFrog1386 (lfrog1386) | 301 comments Charlene, I am positive that a short story like that is much harder to do. Anything that can send a chill down your spine in two lines is pure genius, imo!

message 44: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 2066 comments Kealan, that makes sense.

Another question: I wrote a story for a contest a couple of months back and I am a little confused by the process. I was staring at the little blank box I was supposed to write in and then there were words filling it a half hour later. I don't remember writing it and I had to go read it after I sent it to find out what I wrote. Does this happen for you sometimes, or do I have to up my meds?

Sharon/ LFrog1386 (lfrog1386) | 301 comments It happens to me even just writing emails and term papers, Rec. It ain't you. LOL

message 46: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 2066 comments That's good to know.
Do you know how to get your mind to tell you where it put your house keys?

Sharon/ LFrog1386 (lfrog1386) | 301 comments retrace your steps. If you remember them, that is. :)

message 48: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 2066 comments I keep my keys chained to my pants....where are my pants?
Okay, that explains why the washer is clanking. :P

Sharon/ LFrog1386 (lfrog1386) | 301 comments and why the neighbors are fleeing.

message 50: by Char (new)

Char LOL, you guys are too funny.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 24 25