Terminalcoffee discussion

Random Queries > Road Trips/Top 10 U.S Roadside attractions as chosen by NatGeo

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) http://travel.nationalgeographic.com/...
Do you remember a favorite quirky roadside attraction?
Jackalopes, a 5 legged cow, etc. Have you taken your kids on a road trip or does everyone fly these days. I LOVE road trips. I want to see Carhenge. :)

message 2: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) There was a Coney Island Hot Dog Stand on hwy285 south of Denver that was in the shape of a dog in a bun.It was there for as long as I can remember, but was sold and moved a couple of years ago. It was a must stop on the way to Girl Scout camp. Somewhere in WI, I saw a huge cow. I don't remember where, but I had to stop and have my picture taken under the udder!

message 3: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) There's a shoe house near York, PA, along the old Lincoln Highway (Rt 30).

message 4: by Mary (new)

Mary (merrussell) ms.petra wrote: "There was a Coney Island Hot Dog Stand on hwy285 south of Denver that was in the shape of a dog in a bun.It was there for as long as I can remember, but was sold and moved a couple of years ago. It..."

It is still on 285-or one like it. I think it is closer to Baley if I am not mistaken.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) We went to that Coney Island stand about 2 years ago I think? I had to do an internet search to find where it had moved to.

message 6: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Jul 13, 2011 08:16PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) And I have no time to look it up now, but I need to mental note the big Paul Bunyon in northern Cali, Solvang in southern Cali, Split Pea Anderson's in socal, and the mystic spot near Santa Cruz.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Okay, here's Paul Bunyon and Babe at the Trees of Mystery in the California Redwoods.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Coney Island in Colorado.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Solvang in socal.

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I've seen Lucy the Elephant, and the Shoe House (from a distance) and most of Route 66, and Wall Drug, and South of the Border. I have a lot of miles under my belt but a bad tendency not to stop at things that look fun.

message 11: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Wisconsin has a slew of these types of roadside attractions...more than I can mention here.

The Corn Palace in Mitchell, SD, is weird and entertaining and sad all at once.

http://www.cornpalace.org/

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Oh! I've been to the Corn Palace too, but not at the best time of year for it.

message 13: by Pat (new)

Pat (patb37) We do a lot of road trips, but we generally don't stop at the 'attractions'. I have been to the Corn Palace, Wall Drug, and the original Bass Pro in Missouri.

message 14: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) Alberta has some larger than life roadside attractions:

Vegreville boasts the world's largest Easter egg.

Photobucket

Beaverlodge has a 15 foot tall, 3000 pound beaver.

Photobucket

And Vulcan, the town in which I was born, hosts Star Trek conventions and has a miniature USS Enterprise.

Photobucket

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Is the first one chocolate? It's not real unless it's chocolate.

message 16: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) The Easter Egg? No, it's metal. Don't try to bite off a chunk.

message 17: by Barb (last edited Jul 15, 2011 06:28AM) (new)

Barb The Big Nickel (here in Sudbury)

description

message 18: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) Cool! I love this stuff! Makes me want to fill up and hit the road..:)

message 19: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments That's not a real nickel. It's Canadian.

message 20: by Lee (new)

Lee | 703 comments RandomAnthony wrote: "Wisconsin has a slew of these types of roadside attractions...more than I can mention here.

http://www.cornpa..."

RA...why do you consider the Corn Palace sad also? I'm originally from SD, my dad was born about ten miles south of Mitchell. Just curious...

message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments The saddest roadside attraction I have ever been to was Gopherville, in Saskatchewan. It had a bunch of stuffed gophers in dioramas, a bunch of live ones in enclosures, and a large trampoline instead of rides.
[image error]

message 22: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Lee wrote: "RandomAnthony wrote: "Wisconsin has a slew of these types of roadside attractions...more than I can mention here.

..."

First off, Lee, I love South Dakota, so I apologize if I sounded offensive. I should clarify, the area around The Corn Palace is sad...like the town's character is based around this weird and kind of useless tourist attraction. But I LOVED the Corn Palace tackiness. My wife wouldn't let me buy a Corn Palace placemat, and I wanted one SO much.

But I love South Dakota, I'm serious. I think it's a way underrated state. I love the Badlands, Rapid City, Sioux Falls, the Black Hills, etc.

message 23: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Also, Gopherville has the Corn Palace beat, no doubt.

message 24: by Lee (new)

Lee | 703 comments No offense taken...hell, it is SD...and why I only have a few (very few) relatives, that for unknown reasons....still live there! :)

It is tacky, but to dye all those ears of corn, to make a mural, is rather cool.
South Dakota....corn fields....that's why it was built, over a 100 years ago. Midwest icon...cuz, if your not from the midwest...you never heard of it!!! lol

message 25: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24072 comments Mod
My wife wouldn't let me buy a Corn Palace placemat, and I wanted one SO much.

Your wife has veto power over every purchase you make? How much was it, $3? Can't you just wait until her back is turned?

message 26: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments That would be cheating.

message 27: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Hee.

message 28: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "My wife wouldn't let me buy a Corn Palace placemat, and I wanted one SO much.

Your wife has veto power over every purchase you make? How much was it, $3? Can't you just wait until her back is t..."

Heh. No, she'd hate for me to say that...let me just say she summarized, in a look, that she did not agree with said purchase, and as we were on our honeymoon (long story, RV trip across the country) I passed on the placemat.

message 29: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

The Corn Palace placemat look.

message 30: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) RandomAnthony wrote: "That's not a real nickel. It's Canadian."

It couldn't be a real Canadian nickle, RA. It doesn't have a beaver on it.

message 31: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments We do have our share of these here.

Near Blue Mounds WI

In Hayward WI

Near Windsor WI

Near Platteville WI

message 32: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7069 comments One of my favorite childhood memories was a trip to Brainerd, MN. We visited Bambi Land (Your chance to hand-feed a deer!)and Paul Bunyan Land.

message 33: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6017 comments I grew up just minutes from this, the world's largest tire:

Quite the city slicker, aren't I?