Jane Austen discussion

The Tea Tray > Alan Rickman's Films

Comments Showing 1-50 of 66 (66 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Shea (new)

Shea | 117 comments I posted this in "Favorite Jane Austen Films" but since that thread was temporarily taken over with adoration for Alan Rickman I thought maybe he deserved his own discussion. MTV let fans vote for their favorite Harry Potter character and the winner was Severus Snape, beating out even Harry himself. This is a short video of Alan accepting the award.
http://moviesblog.mtv.com/tag/harry-p...

message 2: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) His voice makes me swoon. I did not see the Leonardo DiCaprio movie Iron Mask, was Alan Rickman in that one, also?

message 3: by Shea (new)

Shea | 117 comments I don't think Rickman was in that one. The one person I remember being in it besides Leo was Hugh Laurie. It took me a while to place him in the powdered wig but the piercing blue eyes gave him away.

message 4: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) Okay, thought I may have mixed up the actors. His piece de resistance performance is as Severus Snape, he is purely evil in that role.

message 5: by Amalie (new)

Amalie He was there in "Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street" and he was the Sheriff of Nottingham in the "Robin Hood" movie starring Kevin Costner. Both bad guys! Great actor! I myself love his voice also Liam Neeson's voice.

message 6: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) He was in "Die Hard" also. Great actor and a very gracious man.

message 7: by Rachel, The Honorable Miss Moderator (new)

Rachel (randhrshipper1) | 674 comments Mod
Anyone remember he was in Dogma? The film is divisive--all about religion--but Alan's performance is hilarious!

message 8: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) No, never saw Dogma, nor did I see Robin Hood, or Sweeney Todd, only now as Severus Snape. He plays evil quite well.

message 9: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimmr) And what about Truly, Madly, Deeply? That was the first time I saw either Rickman or Juliet Stevenson. I have loved their work ever since.

message 10: by Amalie (new)

Amalie He played Harry in "Love Actually"!!!! I LOVE that movie. There is also Hugh Grant, Emma Thompson, Colin Firth... the entire population of Brit actors/actresses and a pretty good movie.

There was also Rowan Atkinson (I like Mr. Bean :) and Liam Neeson... the entire population of British actors.

message 11: by Shea (new)

Shea | 117 comments Yes, there seems to be a small pool, although very talented, actors in Britain. They have all been in at least two movies together. It is funny when you look at all the relations. In "Sense and Sensibility" Hugh Grant and Emma Thompson were love interests but in "Love Actually" they were brother and sister. Emma and Colin were also in "Nanny McPhee" together. But I digress. This is supposed to be about Alan Rickman and as far as I am concerned he was the best part of "Robin Hood:Prince of Thieves" ...Kevin Costner who?

message 12: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) Kim, I did see Truly, Madly, Deeply many years ago. It was an incredible story. I think someone has to make another thread on other British actors.

message 13: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) I think "Truly, Madly, Deeply" was the first movie of his that I saw, but I didn't remember the name. Wonderful movie!! And I love "Love Actually"!! Great ensemble cast.

message 14: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine (saanichlori) | 48 comments In addition to the movies already mentioned, Alan Rickman was a hoot in "Galaxy Quest" as the Spock-like character who felt he was too good for his role.

message 15: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) Now I need to see Love Actually.

message 16: by Shea (new)

Shea | 117 comments Lorraine wrote: "In addition to the movies already mentioned, Alan Rickman was a hoot in "Galaxy Quest" as the Spock-like character who felt he was too good for his role."

I forgot about "Galaxy Quest" that one was fun!

message 17: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimmr) I'd forgotten about Galaxy Quest too. Thanks for reminding me Lorraine - I'll have to watch it again.

And even though Love Actually is pretty sentimental (and Alan Rickman does not play the most sympathetic character in it), it's a good Christmas movie and I get a bit teary when I see the opening and closing scenes!

message 18: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 5 comments The first movie I saw him in was Quigley Down Under with Tom Selleck. I think people are thinking of Jeremy Irons in Man in the Iron Mask. Another actor with a great voice. I thought Alan Rickman was great in Sense and Sensability which also had Hugh Laurie.

message 19: by Amalie (new)

Amalie Katherine wrote: "thought Alan Rickman was great in Sense and Sensability which also had Hugh Laurie...."

I do love Hugh Laurie's acting compared to Mr Palmer in the new BBC Sense and Sensibility re-creation. In that one we saw both sides of Mr Palmer in the new one he is simply just rude.

message 20: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Gulley I love Alan Rickman. His Truly, Madly Deeply was so good. Did you know he was the voice of the caterpillar in the Johnny Depp version of Alice In Wonderland? Who could NOT recognize those tones?
Patg

message 21: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) His voice was put to good use in Alice in Wonderland. He was channelling Severus Snape, a bit I think.LOL

message 22: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum I'd forgotten about Hugh Laurie playing Mr. Palmer; he really was perfect in that role, annoying but not horrid!

message 23: by Namida... (new)

Namida... | 19 comments Thanks for starting the discussion Shea :). I agree with Patricia, his voice is so distinct, and even though he used it perfectly for his sinister and ambiguous roles, he still could channel it amazingly as Colonel Brandon. when i was watching the recent final Harry Potter movie, something in the way he said 'My Lord' kept reminding me of when he was singing Pretty Women in Sweeney Todd, saying 'My Ward', it was hilarious in the middle of the drama.lol

message 24: by Carol (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) Did anyone see The Boy in the Bubble"?

Rickman is the narrator of the story. It won both the James Horgan Award for Best Animation and the Don Quijote Award for a Short Film at the this year's Galway Film Fleadh. Directed and co-written by Kealan O'Rourke. I think it was released in July 2011.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1990340/

message 25: by Reina (new)

Reina Williams | 6 comments Love Alan Rickman! My favorites have been mentioned...though recently it was a treat to see him on PBS with Emma Thompson in "The Song of Lunch." He narrates...I could listen to him for hours! He directed Thompson in "The Winter Guest" which is worth seeing.

message 26: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca May I absolutely love Alan Rickman, not to mention his voice!!!

Anyways, favorite movies: All Harry Potter films, Sense and Sensibility 1995, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, and Love Actually.

I want to see a lot more, like Sweeney Todd, Perfume, Winter Guest...

And can I just say, to anyone who thinks he is perfect in evil roles:
1. If you are thinking of Snape, he is NOT EVIL!!!
2. Think about Colonel Brandon - Alan was adorable as Colonel Brandon, he made my heart melt.
3. Alan Rickman is wonderful in every role.

message 27: by Leah (new)

Leah (princessleia) | 87 comments I love him in S&S, Robin Hood, and Galaxy Quest. He is such an amazing actor. I could see him as the perfect Professor Moriarty, I wish they had chosen him for the mew Sherlock Holmes.

I love his voice!

message 28: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 5 comments Becca wrote: "3. Alan Rickman is wonderful in every role. "

AMEN sista!

Robin Hood was on TV today. I love that movie and I particularly love Rickman in it!! He's amazing. And Love Actually, opposite Emma is great! I loved seeing him and Emma and Hugh work together again. And S&S and HP and on and on and on and on... Lawd love him! :)

message 29: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca May Sarah wrote: "Becca wrote: "3. Alan Rickman is wonderful in every role. "

AMEN sista!

Robin Hood was on TV today. I love that movie and I particularly love Rickman in it!! He's amazing. And Love Actually, opp..."

Exactly :). Although, I must say, I wish Rickman's character could learn how to use a comb and not dribble and perspire so much in Robin Hood! Sigh, oh well, he's still hot even with all of that.

message 30: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Couldn't agree more with all of you!!

His voice is to die for!
He nails any role he takes on!
Snape wasn't evil as he was made out to be!
Col. Brandon - need I say more?
Galaxy quest was funny and he was my favourite in that!

message 31: by G (new)

G Hodges (glh1) | 8 comments I loved Truly, Madly, Deeply and I think Alan Rickman is fabulous. I am glad to know I am not alone. And Love, Actually - my gosh these people are great actors. (Plus, I love looking at Rickman, especially as Colonel Brandon).

message 32: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Totally agree! His appearance along with his voice - perfect ;)

message 33: by Carol (last edited Aug 27, 2012 12:50PM) (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) I also love Rickman's voice! (I think it is a tie between Rickman and Michael Caine when it comes to best voice. Caine is too old appearance-wise.) Rickman was also the voice of the blue caterpillar in Alice in Wonderland. Did anyone see Dogma? He was Metatron. He was really good in that part.

message 34: by Shea (new)

Shea | 117 comments He is soon to play Ronald Reagan. I know he will be fabulous, since he always is.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1327773/

Lots of other impressive people in this group too.

message 35: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 5 comments OMG I was totally just thinking about Dogma. He was hysterical in that movie. When he is drinking the tequila shots and spitting them back in the glass I cracked up. Or when he says he's as anatomicaly correct as a Ken doll in that droll voice.

message 36: by Carol (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) Katherine wrote: "OMG I was totally just thinking about Dogma. He was hysterical in that movie. When he is drinking the tequila shots and spitting them back in the glass I cracked up. Or when he says he's as anatomi..."

Kevin Smith (silent Bob) was the director and wrote the script. He got his two friends to do the film - Matt Damon, and Ben Afflect who then asked their friends: Linda Fiorentio, Chris Rock, Salma Hayek, Alainis Morrisette, Jason Mewes and George Carlin. Amazing cast!

message 37: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 34 comments I am definitely a fan of almost everything Alan Rickman has done. However, that does not include the movie (my mind has blacked out the title) in which his character discovers that he is sleeping with his daughter. I don't mind "spoiling" this movie because no one deserves to have to sit through it.

Shelley, Rain: A Dust Bowl Story
http://dustbowlpoetry.wordpress.com

message 38: by Rebecca (last edited Sep 23, 2012 12:36PM) (new)

Rebecca May Shelley wrote: "I am definitely a fan of almost everything Alan Rickman has done. However, that does not include the movie (my mind has blacked out the title) in which his character discovers that he is sleeping w..."

Haha I saw that movie on YouTube, it was called An Awfully Big Adventure (in reference to Peter Pan) - I only watched it because Alan Rickman was in it. Obviously I enjoyed watching Alan acting, but not much else, it was a bit horrible - especially that idiot main character girl, Stella. However, I did think that the plot in terms of the way that they tied it to Peter Pan was very cleverly done. Still, I was getting Harry Potter de javu the entire movie - the character names and circumstances are at times uncannily similar!

But yeah, totally a fan of everything else of his that I've seen (though it was kind of a scarring moment seeing Alan Rickman turn into a butterfly in Alice and Wonderland :D. That just doesn't work somehow...)

message 39: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Agree Becca about Alice in Wonderland!! Haha

message 40: by Rebecca (last edited Sep 23, 2012 04:39PM) (new)

Rebecca May Soph wrote: "Agree Becca about Alice in Wonderland!! Haha"

I know right! It was seriously more than I could take! I mean, I was dreaming, you know, listening to his voice whenever the caterpillar came on through the movie, and then when he was in a cocoon I was like - "No....no..... don't do it, please don't do it...... I can't handle Alan Rickman as a butterfly!" And then he changed into a butterfly and I was like *hides face in hands*.

Now I have to live with Alan Rickman turning into a butterfly for the rest of my life... I'll try to forget it somehow :D.

message 41: by G (new)

G Hodges (glh1) | 8 comments A whole new look at Mr. Rickman. The trailer for Gambit.
http://youtu.be/cBkR43TSzZ4

message 42: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Gulley OMG, what a cast!!!! Even Stanley Tucci!

message 43: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmathelemon) Ahh I adore Stanley Tucci! He can actually play anything!

message 44: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Haha Becca!
'no don't do it! I can't handle Alan Rickman as a butterfly!' haha so true though!

message 46: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca May G wrote: "A whole new look at Mr. Rickman. The trailer for Gambit.
http://youtu.be/cBkR43TSzZ4"

:D I started giggling about 15 seconds through the trailer and couldn't stop for most of it. It looks like an amazing movie! Does anyone else think that the bad guy Alan is supposed to be doesn't seem like such a 'bad guy'? Odd maybe...:D

message 47: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments I CANNOT wait to see this! Looks hilarious! Abd Firth and Rickman combo with Diaz On the side, perfect!
Comes out soon for me! I agree, I like the look of both Firth and Rickman's characters.

message 48: by Megan (new)

Megan I think Gambit looks like a lot of fun!

message 49: by Carol (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) Being released in the UK on Nov. 21st. In the USA it will be released sometime in 2013.

message 50: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca May Yeah, it looks like amazing fun!

Glad you agree Soph!

Doesn't come out until March for me!!! :'(

« previous 1