Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone discussion

Similar Books

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lucy Does anyone know of books similar to the Harry Potter series? I really enjoyed these books and I want to read something like them. Btw I've already read the Percy Jackson series, because I heard they were similar but are there any other books?

message 2: by Trine (last edited Jul 13, 2011 02:06PM) (new) - added it

Trine I don't think there will ever be anything like "Harry Potter" but a book series I quite enjoy at the moment, it would be The Black Magician trilogy by Trudi Canavan. The first half of book one may be a little slow and dull but it is so worth it in my opinion, cause it just gets better as you read on.
Another trilogy I would DEFINITELY recommend it would be "The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins - It's not about a magician, though, nor does it have supernatural elements, but believe me, they are a great read!

Juliet Hmmmmm, maybe the Pendragon series by DJ Machale, it's not about magic but it's still pretty good. Also, the Magyk series by Angie Sage.

The Romance Bookie I completely agree that there will never ever be another series like "Harry Potter" :), but there is a great series, that's pretty popular already called The Mortal Instruments. I'm sure you've heard of them, a movie is being made. The first book is called "City of Bones" and then "City of Ashes" is the second and then the third is "City of Glass". I've read the first two so far, and I think they really great.

And I was going to recommend Percy Jackson, but since you already read those haha I won't need to ;).

http://romancebookie.blogspot.com/

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah i was going to reccommend the pjo series XD

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Trine wrote: "I don't think there will ever be anything like "Harry Potter" but a book series I quite enjoy at the moment, it would be The Black Magician trilogy by Trudi Canavan. The first half of book one may ..."

same

Ruby Try the Eragon series. Also, maybe The Time Traveler's Trilogy. I think the first one's called Gideon the Cutpurse. Really, though, there's nothing quite like Harry Potter.

Jessica You know what I started recently? Michael Scott's Nicholas Flamel series. I was intrigued with having Flamel show up in HP and then to see it had its own series? Too cool! It took a bit to get into it but I finished the first in the series and am curious enough to continue.

message 9: by Michael (last edited Sep 29, 2011 07:11PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Michael There's a bit of a similarity with the 'Jedi Apprentice' and 'Jedi Quest' series. There's a fantastic world with a school where the students learn things different from "our" world, and there's the natural conflict between the "light" and "dark" side. The main relationships are more to do with the master and student. If you're a 'Star Wars' fan, I think you'll like the series a lot too. I suggest you give it a try.

message 10: by Inez (last edited Sep 30, 2011 08:03PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Inez Ruiz i've heard knightly academy is like harry potter

message 11: by Cece (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cece Nothing can compare to Harry Potter ^_^

Jessica Amen to that Skye! However, I myself suffered a huge withdrawal after the last movie came out and have been looking for something similar to at least satisfy me in part.

message 13: by Rosie (last edited Oct 01, 2011 05:53PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rosie Juliet wrote: "Hmmmmm, maybe the Pendragon series by DJ Machale, it's not about magic but it's still pretty good. Also, the Magyk series by Angie Sage."

I love Septimus Heap! A lot of people don't like them/don't finish the first book at all because they don't give them a chance to get good. If they would just wait a few chapters, the story would get really interesting fast. Not to mention that they're pretty funny too.

Michael Jessica wrote: "Amen to that Skye! However, I myself suffered a huge withdrawal after the last movie came out and have been looking for something similar to at least satisfy me in part."

I've been in withdrawal too! I am going through the books again, and will probably do a movie marathon later on. I've been reading a bunch of other stuff, but there's a longing for more HP. 'Pottermore' will soon be here for everyone, so there's always that. The audiobooks are also another way to experience the adventure in a different medium. At the moment, I'm listening to 'Philosopher Stone' narrated by Jim Dale; he does voices and everything!

Jessica I have listened to the audio and find it incredibly satisfying! I also can't wait for Pottermore and expect that to fulfill a gap. Meanwhile, I am reading Rick Riordan and Michael Scott.

Sumaiyya I's recommend The Tapestry series. The first book is called the Hound of Rowan. It's not that well-known, but the writing is really absorbing.
A level darker than Harry Potter, but that's just what some people are looking for.