Writers and Readers discussion

Writers Corner > If you were a boy in a medieval town...

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by A.F. (new)

A.F. (scribe77) | 1777 comments Mod
I'm writing a fantasy tale and I could use some help.
I have a male character, six or seven, who lives in a medival style town. I need some suggestions on how a child would spend a typical day in such a setting.

message 2: by Anagha Uppal (new)

Anagha Uppal His mum would shake him awake at daybreak to get water from a well nearby. Then, he would accompany his father to hunt...is that of any help? That might be too stereotypical.

message 3: by Mhairi (new)

Mhairi Simpson (mhairisimpson) | 142 comments It would probably depend quite a bit on his economic status, or rather that of his family. Except for the getting shaken awake at daybreak part - I think that will be the same regardless.

message 4: by Anagha Uppal (new)

Anagha Uppal Anne-Mhairi wrote: "It would probably depend quite a bit on his economic status, or rather that of his family."

Very true.

message 5: by A.F. (last edited Jul 13, 2011 11:52AM) (new)

Okay, nice suggestions, but I should have mentioned the town is under a curse and no one can leave so that prevents any hunting (unless it's for rats or rabbits).

Anne-Mhairi, his father would be a merchant of some sort.

message 6: by Paul (new)

Paul Jones (paulantonyjones) | 32 comments At what status level are the family? Do they have servants?

message 7: by Lexi (last edited Jul 13, 2011 12:07PM) (new)

Lexi Revellian (lexirevellian) | 43 comments If his father was a craftsman (plenty of those in medieval towns) he'd be expected to help, fetching and carrying, sweeping up and similar small tasks until he was old enough to learn the craft.

EDIT: just seen his father's a merchant. Reckon he'd still be made use of in small ways about the business.

message 8: by A.F. (new)

Paul wrote: "At what status level are the family? Do they have servants?"

No servants; it's just him and his parents.

message 9: by A.F. (new)

Lexi wrote: "If his father was a craftsman (plenty of those in medieval towns) he'd be expected to help, fetching and carrying, sweeping up and similar small tasks until he was old enough to learn the craft.

E..."

I haven't really pinned down the father's work yet, so he may end up a craftsman who sells his wears. The chores helping his father is nice idea.

message 10: by Paul (new)

Paul Jones (paulantonyjones) | 32 comments Okay, then.

He would probably (even at that young an age, as it's so important a task to learn) be entrusted to light the home's fire. It might be a nice character building scene or two to have one of his parents teaching him how to start and maintain a fire? No easy task back then.

He'd need to gather firewood and kindling/chop wood to keep the fire going as its the home's one source of heat, light and cooking.

As Anagha mentioned, he would need to fetch water from the communal well.

He may help his mother mend clothes.

If they have livestock, he would help feed them/milk them/slaughter them/prepare them for meals (think chicken plucking).

Gather herbs for their meals.

The first thing that crossed my mind regarding playtime would be hunting rats. It would be encouraged by the parents too, to keep the vermin out of their grain/food supplies.

If his father has any military experience, he might spend some time weapons training.

Hows that for a start?

message 11: by A.F. (new)

Paul wrote: "Okay, then.

He would probably (even at that young an age, as it's so important a task to learn) be entrusted to light the home's fire. It might be a nice character building scene or two to have on..."

Some good ideas.