Inside Lane Reading Concern discussion

What shall the next book be?

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new)

Amy Jones (jimsyjampots) | 18 comments Mod
To distract us all from the truly awful experience that reading An Object of Beauty has become...let us look forward to the next book.

We have a few suggestions on the bookshelf of this group already. However, we're open to new ones.

If you have any suggestions for books to read, pop them on the group's bookshelf. On the weekend, I'll put up a poll and we can all vote for the next book to read.

message 2: by SJ (new)

SJ (miametro) Did we make a choice?

message 3: by chagaz (new)

chagaz | 18 comments Hmm. Did we just drop everything after the first book? Shall we call it a summer break and resume our reading activities soon?

message 4: by Clair (new)

Clair (merialc) | 4 comments Whoops, I think we all got a bit distracted! I'm definitely up for a continuation of activities though.

message 5: by Amy (new)

Yes! Good plan! We should definitely keep going. I think we all just got disheartened after An Object Of Beauty.

message 6: by Cliff (new)

Cliff (ukcliffjones) | 15 comments Mod
Good on you Amy, let us not be downhearted by the awful experience that was.

message 7: by SJ (new)

SJ (miametro) Was I the only one that didn't really hate it?

message 8: by Amy (new)

I think so, Sarah.

message 9: by chagaz (new)

chagaz | 18 comments OK, so I'm going to suggest following with the Murakami (The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle). Because I want to read it!

I'm also going to suggest not starting before the week of September 26, so that you have enough time to buy/loan/steal it, and that I don't have to carry it with me when traveling (I'm going to Paris! Hurray!)

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I could lend it to you when we meet in Paris, because I read it already. On the other hand, since I read it already, I'd rather chose another book.

What about "Kafka on the Shore" by Murakami? My english teacher loved it, so I'm interested in giving it a try.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Hmm, looks like you have read "Kafka on the Shore" already. Probably better to switch our copies and settle for another book for this group.

message 12: by chagaz (new)

chagaz | 18 comments I already have The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles, which is why I want to read it. But I can read it on my own, that's fine too.

I gave Kafka to my mom, but you can have it next — it should only take half a year or so before we get the logistics of that together ;-)

message 13: by Amy (new)

At the moment in the poll, The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles is winning

message 14: by SJ (new)

SJ (miametro) So lets read that then :) (I already have but it's one of my favourites of all time, happy to read again)

message 15: by chagaz (new)

chagaz | 18 comments I'm going to start reading it anyway.

message 16: by Amy (new)

Okay, so we'll read The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles. Awesome. Ten pages a day okay, or do you want to take it faster/slower?

message 17: by chagaz (new)

chagaz | 18 comments I suggest 6 chapters a week. This makes 70 pages in my edition, and means we'd be done in 12 weeks, just in time for Christmas. I'm ready to take it faster but it seems like a good pace for this reading group.

M., sorry. You'll just have to focus on writing this dissertation :-p

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Looks good to me. Shall we start on Monday?

message 19: by chagaz (new)

chagaz | 18 comments Sounds good.