The Doctor Rules!!!!!! discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 230 (230 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 1146 comments Mod
For those who like Doctor Who's spin-off series TORCHWOOD lets discuss that here.

Anybody Watching MIRACLE DAY?

Guess nobody else is around here.

message 4: by Emma (new)

Emma | 701 comments no-not yet allowed to watch it-sigh

message 5: by Finley (new)

Finley Mac | 482 comments I watched the first three— Don't really like how they tr to cram as much violence and— COUGH— other stuff ¬_¬ into every episode. WHYYYYYYY! WHY MUST YOU MAKE THE WHOVIANS CRY~

awesomness personified :) | 4 comments i've watched torchwood. its okay, but i'd MUCH rather watch doctor who!!

Kaleigh - Captain Bubbles ESTP(intj) (captainbubbles) | 1566 comments I haven;t watched because 1: I'm not allowed and 2: I don't want to. Also did you know that i you rearrange the letters in "Torchwood" it spells "Doctor Who"?

Kaleigh~*~*~*~*~An Inkweaver wrote: "...Also did you know that i you rearrange the letters in "Torchwood" it spells "Doctor Who"?"

Yes. In fact before "Torchwood" was it's own show the anagram "TORCHWOOD" was used to label some "Doctor Who" final prints that were shipping from the Wales studios to the BBC HQ in London to keep video pirates from trying to get a sneak peak at the series and make copies. I forget the technical term used but it is a common practice for popular TV shows and movies to label final prints, or working prints for editing with fake titles to keep pirates from intercepting them to make illegal pre-release copies.

message 10: by Finley (new)

Finley Mac | 482 comments THAT IS SO AWESOME!

Kaleigh - Captain Bubbles ESTP(intj) (captainbubbles) | 1566 comments :) Yeah. Smart too.

message 12: by Emma (new)

Emma | 701 comments i was just staring at the word doctor who for some random reason one day and i figured i out!

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I've watched a couple episodes of Torchwood! Mostly for Jack...but they scared me and I haven't watched any since.

Torchwood is not for everyone, and not all Doctor Who fans (even ones who really like Capt Jack from his appearances) like it. Many people don't like it because of the high adult content (mostly Jack's open to all sexuality). That adult content has been toned down for the most part from the first couple of seasons, but it comes back from time to time, and usually in too big a way.

Others find it too violent. The latest series "Miracle Day" has been pretty violent and so far isn't a sci-fi as Seasons 1 & 2 were. Series 3 "Children of Earth" at least had an extraterrestrial "bad guy". So far "Miracle Day" doesn't have the bad guy identified and hasn't had any extraterrestrials.

message 15: by Kaleigh - Captain Bubbles ESTP(intj) (last edited Aug 18, 2011 08:37AM) (new)

Kaleigh - Captain Bubbles ESTP(intj) (captainbubbles) | 1566 comments Dang. Yeah, I could tell just by the previews for it it isn't a very good series.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

so i liked the first two seasons of torch wood but the new mini series that came out this summer was a real let down...

I think Torchwood works better in it's original format of an episodic series instead of the mini-series one big story arc. Doctor Who does just fine being episodic with a season long story arc woven into some of the episodes but not necessarily all of them.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes definitely! i agree with that.

message 19: by Finley (new)

Finley Mac | 482 comments Stephen Moffat is terrible at it, though. Doesn't even try to be subtle.

message 20: by Emily (new)

Emily (lafillebrigitte) | 1085 comments yeah i agree. blech. his singles were the best! so creepy! but these? pale in comparison.

so i was definitely at a quiz-bowl practice on Tuesday, and there was a question that went something like this; "what is the show has main characters named Jack and Rose?" i jumped before buzzing and so wasn't first, and a good thing too! because the answer was the Titaninc, not Doctor Who! that would have been embarrassing!

message 21: by Finley (new)

Finley Mac | 482 comments Screw Titanic, Doctor Who just seems so much better… I've never seen Titanic but my friends won't shut up about it, so I might as well have.

Kaleigh - Captain Bubbles ESTP(intj) (captainbubbles) | 1566 comments I've seen it. It's okay, but it is a little inappropriate.

message 23: by Emily (new)

Emily (lafillebrigitte) | 1085 comments i haven't seen it either. but i really love the song "My Heart Will Go On" from it. i learned it in my piano books way back when.

message 24: by Finley (new)

Finley Mac | 482 comments I just know this part:

Rose: I'll never let go! *lets go*
Jack: *Goes under and washes up on the shore in Inception*

Kaleigh - Captain Bubbles ESTP(intj) (captainbubbles) | 1566 comments Yeah, sad story. That's the ending part by the way.

message 26: by Finley (new)

Finley Mac | 482 comments I know.

message 28: by Emily (new)

Emily (lafillebrigitte) | 1085 comments lol, i love the Inception touch. nice. :)

message 30: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 255 comments what do you mean by "inception touch" ? (by the way i'm a fan of all living doctor who things.)

Andrew wrote: "what do you mean by "inception touch" ? (by the way i'm a fan of all living doctor who things.)"

It's a reference to message #24 in this thread (which deals with the Rose/Jack connections). Has nothing to do with Torchwood.

message 32: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 255 comments oooooh i get it thats pretty funny

message 33: by Finley (new)

Finley Mac | 482 comments Ebony~We will soar on wings like eagles! wrote: "lol, i love the Inception touch. nice. :)"

Thanks!

message 34: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 255 comments yeah! i thought it was clever and funny so.... ya.

message 36: by Finley (new)

Finley Mac | 482 comments Clever… Veeeery clever. AND FOOLISH! MASHY SPIKE PLATE!

message 37: by Emily (new)

Emily (lafillebrigitte) | 1085 comments THE CAKE IS A LIE!!

WHO DOES NOT WANT THIS EPIC PORTAL SHIRT??
http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-appa...

OR THIS EPIC DW SHIRT??
http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-appa...

message 38: by Finley (new)

Finley Mac | 482 comments For the Portal one: I've seen better. There's one that has the Aperture logo from Still Alive; the one made out of text.

The DW one is awesome. there's also Keep Calm and Call the Doctor.

message 39: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 255 comments i like them both, but i like the keep calm and don't blink one better than the other. I've seen one that says trust me i'm the doctor, it was awesome. my teacher in ballroom dance was wearing it.

Kaleigh - Captain Bubbles ESTP(intj) (captainbubbles) | 1566 comments Yeah I know. I saw it too. It was awesome! I think it was one of the old Doctors'.

message 41: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 255 comments it was. it was the curly afro one.

message 42: by Finley (new)

Finley Mac | 482 comments Tom Baker? The fourth doctor?

message 43: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 255 comments i think so, i can't remember

message 44: by Finley (new)

Finley Mac | 482 comments The one with the scarf.

message 45: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 255 comments yes... that one. tom baker

Kaleigh - Captain Bubbles ESTP(intj) (captainbubbles) | 1566 comments He's weird and funny.

Antje གརས པཅ Parker | 235 comments I watched part of the first episode but my dad had a game on

message 48: by Heav (new)

Heav (heav1964) | 6 comments Kaleigh~A Doctor Who InkWeaver wrote: "I haven;t watched because 1: I'm not allowed and 2: I don't want to. Also did you know that i you rearrange the letters in "Torchwood" it spells "Doctor Who"?"

Thats why it got the name "Torchwood", lol

message 49: by Janeen-san (new)

Janeen-san  (misswannareadalot) | 1507 comments I've never seen Torchwood before...

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

neither have i...

« previous 1 3 4 5