The Sword and Laser discussion

George R.R. Martin Threads > SDS (Scheherazade Digression Syndrome)

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kris (new)

Kris (kvolk) I like it, SDS, or maybe call it ENE for editors not editing...

message 2: by aldenoneil (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments GRRMINYB.

message 3: by Joanna (new)

Joanna I suggest a different acronym (or a new meaning to an old one): PMS - Premature Moaning Syndrome; for all the people who have already decided that George R.R. Martin can't pull this series off. It is not concluded yet and despite all the whining I've been hearing/reading there is little to suggest that he won't be able to bring this mammoth of a story to a conclusion.

Yes, the series might get extended beyond the originally planned 7 volumes, I for one am quite happy with that. And yes, I thought 'A Feast for Crows' was a bit annoying and could have easily been edited down to about 3/4 of it's length - but I am yet to read a series without at least one weaker volume. I still don't see where all the predictions about the author not being able to satisfactorily conclude the series are coming from.

A Song of Ice and Fire is an epic of staggering proportions. That is kind of the idea behind it. The plethora of characters, places, subplots and intrigues are what's making it so interesting and enjoyable. But all of those characters/places/subplots/etc are visibly being marshaled by a larger overarching story. One can see them slowly coming together, bits of puzzles falling into places. There's still lots of unresolved story lines, some of them possibly will never get resolved and will forever serve as 'these bits that don't really fit into the whole so why are they even there?' and that's fine with me, enrich the crap out of the world I'd say! (it reminds me of the old LOTR debate about the purpose of the Tom Bombadil episode - and I for once will defend it's place in the story till my bitter end).

I say give the man a chance to finish his story. Fair dues to him for attempting this feat, I for once have faith in the author and the new book is strengthening that belief with every page. So I shall waste no more breath (ehm.. skin on my fingertips?) on the naysayers and go back to enjoying the monster of a book that 'A Dance with Dragons' is. Keep them coming Martin, I don't mind waiting a couple more decades to see how it all pans out, and if I never do, I will have still enjoyed the ride.

message 4: by aldenoneil (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments Joanna wrote: "subplots and intrigues"

And some of those subplots are more like red herrings. Martin's always setting us up to believe something or someone's vitally important, and then he kills or maims them, or leaves them for everyone to forget.

message 5: by aldenoneil (last edited Jul 14, 2011 08:30AM) (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments Kid wrote: "When you lose the momentum of the story and become more enthralled with the continuity and world building, you're not telling a story anymore."

I agree with you, but I don't feel we've reached that point with Martin yet. Any time there's a discussion like this I automatically think of Wheel of Time, which is a prime example of what you stated. The main story is so ancillary at this point it's just not interesting anymore, but in that case, neither are the subplots.

I remember the second season of Lost when people were thinking, "Do the writers know any more than we do, or are they making this crap up as they go along?" Martin, I think, is heading in a definite direction, and all the important subplots are heading there, too.

But call me in a decade and we'll see.

message 6: by Peter (new)

Peter | 142 comments maybe because i'm coming at this from a new reader perspective, but Martin isn't going off into any of those, yet. I only started reading 2 years ago but the Song of Ice and Fire series is one of the few where the first book fits well with the rest. Many times I'll start a series and find that the second book on don't fit at ALL with the main story of the first, nor does the writing style. That really bothers me as it feels like a let down and unfulfilled story.

And to talk about a author that starts a series on a strong footing then extends it so far that it's just dragging and the editing is crap, look no further than Harry Turtledove and his Great War series /puke