Victorians! discussion

Buddy Reads > The Odd Women Chapters XXII-XXVI

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Elizabeth (Alaska) Less philosophizing, more plot. And more interesting and exciting, now that I feel invested in these characters.

message 2: by Janice (JG) (new)

Janice (JG) I'm not far into chapter XXIII, but I wondered, what is a bathing machine?

message 3: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 400 comments I'm not reading this book, but I can answer that! A bathing machine was a small enclosed structure on wheels. A woman would get into it and change to her bathing costume, and then it would be wheeled out into the water, where she could discreetly exit and enjoy the water. It was done to protect a woman's modesty.

I took a look at this thread because I was curious as to why there seem to be two active discussions of the novel going on on different parts of the board. I see that this was a buddy read back in 2011, which is what these thread are from, but the current discussion is going on in its own folder, which shows up at the top of the group page.

message 4: by Lily (new)

Lily (joy1) | 1289 comments Denise wrote: "I took a look at this thread because I was curious as to why there seem to be two active discussions of the novel going on on different parts of the board. I see that this was a buddy read back in 2011, which is what these thread are from, but the current discussion is going on in its own folder, which shows up at the top of the group page. ..."

And I realize now that I misunderstood your earlier question elsewhere, Denise. We seem to have scattered this discussion hither, thither, and yon!

message 5: by Janice (JG) (last edited Sep 27, 2012 07:30PM) (new)

Janice (JG) Talking to myself it seems... I've done this before :)

And thank you, Denise, for solving the bathing machine mystery, as well as pointing me in the right direction.

message 6: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 400 comments Glad to help clear up the confusion!