The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > Torchwood: Miracle Day

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Phil (last edited Jul 15, 2011 01:10AM) (new)

Phil Lee I can't wait for the first episode tomorrow (here in the UK). Children of Earth was an excellent piece of TV and I'm hoping for more of the same.

I admit it will be a real shame not having the original Torchwood gang together again. I am looking forward to see how they handle the introduction of the US Torchwood. It's also great to see Nana Visitor and John de Lancie have roles.

message 2: by Halbot42 (new)

Halbot42 | 185 comments The first one was pretty blah, its hard not to miss all the faces that aren't there, if only there was some sort of time travelling mechanism available to them... I hope it gets better, though I am a little afraid how far Starz might be willing to go with Capn Jack's exploits.

message 3: by Phil (new)

Phil Lee I enjoyed it, it's always great to see John Barrowman hamming it up as Captain Jack. I did miss the old faces from Torchwood but it is still good to see it back on the screen after a 2 year break.

message 4: by Tim (new)

Tim Renshaw (timrenshaw) I'm quite happy that they pared down the cast as for me, I'm now left with the only characters I ever really cared about. Also keeps ya guessing as you now know they will kill anyone, well, that can be killed :-)

message 5: by Kate (last edited Jul 18, 2011 11:57AM) (new)

Kate O'Hanlon (kateohanlon) | 778 comments It's hard for me not to whimper 'I miss Ianto' all the way though but it's fun to see Gwen in full on ass kicking mode.

(view spoiler)

message 6: by Halbot42 (new)

Halbot42 | 185 comments yeah it seemed like that was just a mechanism to pare another member off from the original cast

message 7: by Halbot42 (new)

Halbot42 | 185 comments Upon further viewing, Torchwood now sucks. It's as though someone convinced the creative crew that what people really liked about Dr Who and X-Files and UKTW was the government crap, which is always so poorly written(The UN having the power to nuke anyone for example). Yes, what those shows needed was for some genius at Starz to remove all the cool alien stuff. 5 episodes in and the strangest thing we’ve seen is Bill Pullman, who is acting pretty damn strange. Oh, and a triangle. Hard to believe these people made the original.

message 8: by Chet (new)

Chet Williams (clamontwilliams) | 7 comments Yeah Torchwood is pretty subdued to compared to past several seasons. But I have some faith that it will come around.

message 9: by Kate (last edited Aug 23, 2011 02:14PM) (new)

Kate O'Hanlon (kateohanlon) | 778 comments Gosh it really is terrible.
I continue watching because apparently my tolerance for watch John Barrowman do anything is endless.

*edit after watching the latest episode*

wow, Torchwood S4E7 is like a great big ass shaped apology for not showing Barrowman's ass in S4E3.

message 10: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Ivy | 25 comments I'm rather irritated I added Starz to my Satellite package to watch Miracle Day. It has been downright terrible. I keep hoping it will turn around, but time is running out and I don't see it happening.

message 11: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey J | 38 comments Kate wrote: "Gosh it really is terrible.
I continue watching because apparently my tolerance for watch John Barrowman do anything is endless.

*edit after watching the latest episode*

wow, Torchwood S4E7 is l..."

I felt like S4E7 was the first time it felt something like the old Torchwood but have to agree with a friend of mine that they may have turned a number of people off with that much man on man action assuming people are watching.

message 12: by Kate (last edited Aug 24, 2011 12:00PM) (new)

Kate O'Hanlon (kateohanlon) | 778 comments Jeffrey wrote: "I felt like S4E7 was the first time it felt something like the old Torchwood but have to agree with a friend of mine that they may have turned a number of people off with that much man on man action assuming people are watching. "

If a person is not okay with some man on man action I can't help but feel that Torchwood is not the show for them.

I agree with The AV Club's assessment: "hey, it's a taboo-busting dude-on-dude love scene that also happens to be story relevant! We can have nice things" (http://www.avclub.com/articles/immort...)

Sex aside, this was the first episode of the season that made me feel anything at all, I was scared for Jack, I was scared for Gwen, I watched the Butcher scene through my fingers, I was even a little scared of that lame alien brain worm.

message 13: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey J | 38 comments Kate wrote: "... If a person is not okay with some man on man action I can't help but feel that Torchwood is not the show for them. ..."

I would agree, my only fear is that not having viewers means shows get cancelled. Of course the show needs to continue to get better for this to make any difference.

message 14: by Kate (new)

Kate O'Hanlon (kateohanlon) | 778 comments Jeffrey wrote: "I would agree, my only fear is that not having viewers means shows get cancelled. Of course the show needs to continue to get better for this to make any difference. "

It's something of a moot point with the series being so terrible and all but I would hate for RTD to jettison teh gey in order to shore up viewers. It would be so untrue to himself, he's the man who gave us Queer as Folk

message 15: by Halbot42 (new)

Halbot42 | 185 comments Sweet Jeebus the suck goes on. No pun intended. Its not terribly relevant to me, but I imagine in the future people will point to the failure of this project as evidence American audiences were turned off by the gay. For the record, this fails because it is terrible.

message 16: by Michael (new)

Michael (the_smoking_gnu) | 178 comments Halbot42 wrote: "For the record, this fails because it is terrible."
I have to agree. Once they managed to tune down the painful overacting of the first season I really liked Torchwood.
I am determined to watch the rest of Torchwood: Miracle Day, but I am dreading every episode.

message 17: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey J | 38 comments Michael wrote: "Halbot42 wrote: "For the record, this fails because it is terrible."
I have to agree. Once they managed to tune down the painful overacting of the first season I really liked Torchwood.
I am determ...I am dreading every episode"

I agree as well though I think the newer episodes are watchable and wish it would have started that way. I might be being generous since I want to like it so much and they are so much better then the first episodes.

message 18: by Scott (new)

Scott (smrathburn) | 40 comments I am really disappointed in hearing about Miracle day being such a let down. Since I don't get Starz I'll wait until it hits Netflix, which it sounds like it will sooner than later.

message 19: by Halbot42 (new)

Halbot42 | 185 comments Honestly, if you have any love in your heart for the first three seasons, avoid miracle day completely. All it will do is tarnish Jack and Gwen in your mind, new characters are worthless, 8 shows in, 2 to go and just utterly uninspired. Hate to disappoint but there it is. Just watch season one again, thats what im doing.

message 20: by Colin (new)

Colin | 278 comments All this whinging makes me smile.

This reminds me of that Crusoe show from a few years back. I was watching it during its run, and i hated it so much i stopped watching and walked away.
I came back to it a month or so ago, when the re-runs were on, and knowing that the show had been cancelled made it watchable again, and now, i can't really remember why i hated it so much in the first place (inventions, bad acting, stupid pirates, a deserted island that really doesn't stay deserted at all...)

So, i think all you Bill Pullman's Haircut haters need to just walk away, and come back when its done and rentable. Watch it all in one go. Less time to stew over all the infuriating bits while waiting for the next episode.

message 21: by Halbot42 (new)

Halbot42 | 185 comments Well, its over, and they didnt pull it out of the fire after all. What an unworthy coda to Torchwood... If you havent seen it yet, do not watch if you like the show at all