Literary Exploration discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
What Are You Reading > What Are You Reading - July 2011

Comments Showing 1-50 of 88 (88 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kim (new)

Kim I closed the other threqad as now the group is growing one thread would get too big and too confusing so I decided to copy another group and open up a monthly thread on what you're reading (other than the monthly discussion book of course :P)

For the rest of this month I'm looking at reading The Book of Animal Ignorance: Everything You Think You Know Is Wrong continuing the QI book series, Nerd Do Well by Simon Pegg, Cat's Cradle and for another group Homeland.

message 2: by Mary, Quiet Observer (new)

Mary (fruity) | 128 comments Mod
I'm reading lots of books on Spain. I picked up heaps at the A&R closing down sale and plan to read them all in the next 25 days before I go to Spain.
Also reading Ron lowe's memoir which i'm finding very enjoyable.

message 3: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) | 1255 comments Mod
You mean Rob Lowe right? Stories I Only Tell My Friends: An Autobiography

I plan to finish The Long Goodbye, The Eyre Affair and We Need to Talk About Kevin by the end of the month

message 4: by Mary, Quiet Observer (new)

Mary (fruity) | 128 comments Mod
Yes. Must have been an autocorrect thing

message 5: by Booksy (new)

Booksy | 96 comments Knowledge Lost wrote: "You mean Rob Lowe right? Stories I Only Tell My Friends: An Autobiography

I plan to finish The Long Goodbye, The Eyre Affair and [book:We Need to Talk Abou..."

I noticed you are planning to read/finish reading "The Eyre Affair". It's Jasper Fforde's first book in his Thursday Next series, isn't it? It's one of my favourite series in this genre (what do you call this book genre anyway? Is it lit comedy/fantasy?). I've ordered online the last one in this series ("One of our Thursday's is Missing") and can't wait to receive it and start reading.
Booksy

message 6: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

Probably

message 7: by Kim (new)

Kim I read the first of his Nursery Crimes books and it was ok. Nothing great though.

message 8: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

Booksy wrote: "Knowledge Lost wrote: "You mean Rob Lowe right? Stories I Only Tell My Friends: An Autobiography

I plan to finish The Long Goodbye, The Eyre Affair and [bo..."

Yes it is the first book, looked like an interesting series. As for the genre, I think it's alternate reality/comedy

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm currently reading the following:
Dead or Alive, by Tom Clancy
The Hunt for Red October, also by Tom Clancy
Inside Joss Whedon's Dollhouse: From Alpha to Rossum, by Jane Espenson
90 Days To Your Novel: A Day-by-Day Plan for Outlining & Writing Your Book, by Sarah Domet
The Nonrunner's Marathon Guide for Women, by Dawn Dias

I also just bought A Game of Thrones this morning and intend to start it soon.

message 10: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

I hope you enjoy A Game of Thrones; personally I feel it was one of the better written Fantasy novels.

message 11: by Kim (new)

Kim I'm really enjoying the Book of Animal Ignorance. Purchased a couple ebooks by new club members last night to read this month. Laredo Down by Thom Young and The Cambridge List by Robert Clear.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

'A Light in the Attic' by Shel Silverstein

I'll be going on to Mark Haddon's 'A Spot of Bother' next week.

So many good books awaiting ...

message 13: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Whitney wrote: "I'm currently reading the following:
Dead or Alive, by Tom Clancy
The Hunt for Red October, also by Tom Clancy
Inside Joss Whedon's Dollhouse: From Alpha to Rossum, by Jane Espenson
90 Days To Your..."

A Game of Thrones was a good read. I could hardly put it down.

message 14: by Sonali (new)

Sonali V I just finished 'The Troubled Man'by Henning Mankell and have decided to re- read 'Sir Gawain and the Green knight'.I read it first in post-graduation class and loved it.I read it again I think about 10 years back;it fascinates me. So that is my next read.

message 15: by Melki (new)

Melki | 205 comments Just started "Johnny Got His Gun." Been meaning to read it for years.

message 17: by Kim (new)

Kim Ooh I need to read Year of Living Bibically.

message 18: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

It pretty good so far, will need to read his other book too

message 19: by Melki (new)

Melki | 205 comments "We Need to Talk About Kevin" was the first book I ever read that made me want to join a book club. The second I finished it, I wanted to talk to someone about the book.

And when you're reading A.J. Jacobs, don't forget "The Guinea Pig Diaries" where he "outsources" his life to India. Also his long-suffering wife gets her due when Jacobs vows to be the perfect husband for one month. ;)

message 20: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

It was avery interesting book, I'm scared of kids now :-p

I'll have to read that one too

message 21: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Melki wrote: "Just started "Johnny Got His Gun." Been meaning to read it for years."

It was certainly a good movie. I watched it primarily because of the Metallica song "One." The music video and song are based on that story.

message 22: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Oh, and you really don't need to talk about me unless it is good stuff...and nice.

message 23: by Johnnie (last edited Jul 15, 2011 01:43PM) (new)

Johnnie (berfer) I am currently reading Henry James' Roderick Hudson Roderick Hudson (Penguin Classics) by Henry James . I am thoroughly caught up with the intrigue and love the whole psychology of the plot. I will read others from him also. Kindle had the entire Halcyon edition with all 16 complete novels.

message 24: by Melki (new)

Melki | 205 comments Interesting, Kevin. I remember that video - very creepy. Never seen the movie, but the book is good so far. I read Peter Reich's "A Book of Dreams" because of Kate Bush's "Cloudbursting" video. Guess those years of watching MTV weren't a total waste of time.

message 25: by Johnnie (new)

Johnnie (berfer) I am also reading Jonathan Edwards History of Redemption A History of the Work of Redemption by Jonathan Edwards . It is a pretty good look at covenantal history of Scripture.

message 26: by ♥Xeni♥ (new)

♥Xeni♥ (xeni) | 220 comments I am amused how many of you actually plan what you'll be reading in a month.

I don't think I ever really do that... I just go with the flow, see what I've recently put on my iphone and pick something, or else browse goodreads until a good book pops up and then find the ebook to put onto my iphone. :P

I also just finished the second of A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings. It was rather dreary and full of war and battle and not so many intrigues like what I loved in the first book. So I don't think I'll be continuing the series any time soon.

Right now I want to catch up on another book clubs reads, so I'll be reading:
Left Neglected Left Neglected by Lisa Genova
Dreams of Joy Dreams of Joy by Lisa See
Alone Alone (Detective D.D. Warren, #1) by Lisa Gardner
Before I Fall Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver
Lost in Shangri-La: A True Story of Survival, Adventure, and the Most Incredible Rescue Mission of World War II Lost in Shangri-La A True Story of Survival, Adventure, and the Most Incredible Rescue Mission of World War II by Mitchell Zuckoff

And maybe if those bore me I'll continue reading
The Other Sinbad The Other Sinbad by Craig Shaw Gardner
Why Popcorn Costs So Much at the Movies: And Other Pricing Puzzles Why Popcorn Costs So Much at the Movies And Other Pricing Puzzles by Richard B. McKenzie
Homeland Homeland (Forgotten Realms The Dark Elf Trilogy, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #1) by R.A. Salvatore

message 27: by Kim (new)

Kim I plan but I rarely end up reading those books, except for club reads. I add all the books I'm interested in to a shelf on my Nook

message 28: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

It's nice to have a plan, but it always changes

message 29: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) I'm a little more than half-way through The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov Mikhail Bulgakov and starting the chapter I've heard so much about-Satan's Ball. Interesting book but it's taking me a long time to read it.
Also reading The Help by Kathryn Stockett Kathryn Stockett which is easy to read. I haven't made a final judgment on whether it handles a serious topic too frivolously or whether I really like it anyway. The Quiche of Death (Agatha Raisin, #1) by M.C. Beaton and Agatha Raisin and the Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin, #4) by M.C. Beaton , both by my current "light" read author, M.C. Beaton, The Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber which I'm reading for a challenge but not getting into & The Pillars of the Earth  by Ken Follett which I'm enjoying but find does not come close to capturing the medieval mind-set.

But then I'll probably pick up some totally different book & finish it today because that's how I read.

message 30: by Melki (new)

Melki | 205 comments Just finished "Johnny Got His Gun". Emotionally wrenching, but I honestly think everyone should read this book. I'm going to be thinking about it for a long time to come.
Now I'm reading something humorous - "Spooky Little Girl" by Laurie Notaro.

message 31: by Judy (new)

Judy | 7 comments Just starting Testimony Testimony by Anita Shreve

message 32: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (barbarasc) | 31 comments The God of Small Things and A Visit from the Goon Squad. It's been a long time since I've read two novels at once, and I think I prefer just one novel at a time. (Often I'll read non-fiction the same time I'm reading a novel, but it's hard to juggle two novels at once -- especially these, because they're both contemporary.) I'm enjoying both of these books, but right now I'm just more absorbed with The God of Small Things.

message 33: by Zoe (new)

Zoe | 3 comments I am a teacher and school holidays have finally arrived! Plan to catch up on a few books I got out of the library in anticipation last week. Have just finished The Last Seven Months of Anne Frank by Willy Linwer and am half way through You Belong To Me by Karen Rose.

Worked my way through the list of Best Utopia/ Distopia books and have read I Am Legend. Have The War Of The Worlds, Shade's Children, Blindsided, and a couple of others I am keen to read out already.

message 34: by Johnnie (new)

Johnnie (berfer) Finished Roderick Hudson by Henry James Roderick Hudson (Penguin Classics) by Henry James . A well written psychological study and the only romance novel I have ever liked. Now for a more serious read Primetime Propaganda by Shapiro Primetime Propaganda The True Hollywood Story of How the Left Took Over Your TV by Ben Shapiro

message 35: by Franky (new)

Franky Just finished Into Thin Air Into Thin Air: A Personal Account of the Mt. Everest Disaster and am currently reading a collection of LeFanu's ghost stories Best Ghost Stories of J. S. Le Fanu

message 36: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen (weishaark) | 7 comments In keeping with my own approach to oft-times accidently and very loose groupings of my reads based on a theme (sometimes obvious - sometimes only discovered after finishing) - as I just finished reading yet another book referring obliquely to the ostracization of Jewish people, I was curious - I wanted to learn more about this seemingly inexplicable phenomena - so I picked up a book a friend lent me a few years ago called "Antisemitism" by Wistrich. I'm also halfway through "An Outline of History" by H. G. Wells, which, believe it or not, does tie in - and then I just decided to read "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak, in all honesty (swear!) not knowing it TOO involved the mistreatment of Jewish people (I know, I must live under a rock) - at any rate - truly a serendipitous combo!

message 37: by Booksy (new)

Booksy | 96 comments I'm reading Marquez' "The General in his Labyrinth" but I am disappointed already: wonderfully mesmerizing language for which I love Marquez so muc and yet such a boring plot. I will peresevere though, I don't give up on books easily.

message 38: by Danna (new)

Danna This month I have read:
Fall of Giants (The Century Trilogy #1) by Ken Follett Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie Inkheart (Inkheart, #1) by Cornelia Funke .

Currently Reading:
World Without End  by Ken Follett

Waiting Near My Bed:
A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) by George R.R. Martin The Book Thief by Markus Zusak War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy Flowers in the Attic (Dollanganger, #1) by V.C. Andrews Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

message 39: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

The Book Thief is next months book, hope you're waiting :-)

message 40: by Danna (new)

Danna Knowledge Lost wrote: "The Book Thief is next months book, hope you're waiting :-)"

Then I will wait. But I assume I will only start reading next month's books because at August 16th I have a bio test...

message 41: by ♥Xeni♥ (new)

♥Xeni♥ (xeni) | 220 comments Danna wrote: "This month I have read:
Fall of Giants (The Century Trilogy #1) by Ken FollettPeter Pan by J.M. BarrieInkheart (Inkheart, #1) by Cornelia Funke.

Currently Reading:
World Without End  by Ken Follett

Waiting Near My Bed:
..."

Funny to recognize flowers in the attic, a game of thrones, and water fir elephants!! I really loved water for elephants. :)

message 42: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen (weishaark) | 7 comments Mary wrote: "I'm reading lots of books on Spain. I picked up heaps at the A&R closing down sale and plan to read them all in the next 25 days before I go to Spain.
Also reading Ron lowe's memoir which i'm find..."

Ah, Spain - was just there in October - Granada, Seville being among my faves. Will you be visiting the Alhambra?

message 43: by Michael (new)

Michael I just finished Notes from the Underground and now will continue on reading A People's History of the United States.

message 44: by Carycleo (new)

Carycleo | 28 comments Robopocalypse by Daniel H. Wilson. The cover reeled me in, calling to me from all the way across the library. Also, I started White Tiger, to catch up with part of this group's backlist.

I'm intrigued by Zoe's plowing through the Best Utopia/Distopia list. That sounds like fun.

message 45: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

Hope you have voted on the Distopian book for September! Next month we will be voting on a Utopian book for October.

message 46: by Carycleo (new)

Carycleo | 28 comments @KL - I did vote for September (not for Robopo, because I knew I'd read it anyway -- that cover!). I couldn't decide on the October vote, so I'll revisit that later. I really like the themes for those two months, obviously. I picked up another distopian book too: Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. I've read 2 or 3 other (mediocre) distopian books recently, so that's definitely a personal theme lately. Funny that voting for the utopian book has me stumped, but I am all over post-apocalyptic fic.

message 47: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

I think the theme will work well.

message 48: by Melki (new)

Melki | 205 comments Reading Ann Patchett's "State of Wonder". A grand adventure in an exotic locale - the perfect summer read.

message 49: by ♥Xeni♥ (new)

♥Xeni♥ (xeni) | 220 comments Melki wrote: "Reading Ann Patchett's "State of Wonder". A grand adventure in an exotic locale - the perfect summer read."

Tht one is next on my iPhone!! Neat!

message 50: by L.D. (new)

L.D. | 2 comments I just finished Albert Camus' The Plague; it was a wonderful read. The writing style was different than what I have been typically reading this year and it felt good to through on the philosopher's hat.

I'm now finishing Isaac Asimov's Foundation. It's a short book that deals with a millions of years through the future.

My fluff book for a quick break is Patricia Briggs' Cry Wolf. It's an enjoyable read but pretty much follows the paranormal romance formula--not much thinking needed to have fun with it.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.