The Sword and Laser discussion

Fuzzy Nation (Fuzzy Sapiens #7)
This topic is about Fuzzy Nation
2011 Reads > FN: The Future Was Five Years Ago

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sean (last edited Jul 17, 2011 11:34PM) (new) - added it

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments In the introduction, Scalzi talks about how he wanted to rewrite Little Fuzzy because of how dated it seems. Okay, fair enough. But after reading the first two chapters, I'm noticing that Scalzi is just as tied to the present as Piper ever was. At one point a character compares something to glowsticks at a rave, which I doubt anyone will understand fifty years from now, let alone 500 when the story's set. Then a few pages later, the character tells someone to "die in a fire" -- yeah, I'm sure an Internet meme is going to remain common parlance five centuries from now.

And don't even get me started on the absurdity of extracting petroleum from other planets -- space travel would have to have almost zero cost to make that more economical than synthetic alternatives. Things like that make the story feel mired in the present.

Sandi (sandikal) | 1212 comments I actually thought that Little Fuzzy seemed more timeless than Fuzzy Nation. Piper kept most of the tech vague enough to keep it from getting too dated. The only tech that really struck me as old-fashioned was the videotape. However, nobody was using video tape back when he wrote the book.

message 3: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new) - rated it 4 stars

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1680 comments Mod
I agree about the rave reference and the "die in a fire" quote, which also stood out for me, but they made me chuckle more than anything else. Maybe in 30 years we'll get another re-write!

message 4: by R.H. (new)

R.H. Watson (rh_watson) | 45 comments Veronica wrote: "Maybe in 30 years we'll get another re-write!"
By then books should be smart enough to rewrite themselves with appropriate contemporary references and memes. :)

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2858 comments So far I've only read Fuzzy Nation and about to jump into Little Fuzzy. I'll keep my eye out!

Boots (rubberboots) | 499 comments I haven't read Little Fuzzy but I did think that the contemporary references did modernize Fuzzy Nation; it probably wasn't necessary but it didn't bother me at all. I was also thinking that maybe this was written awhile ago and they were waiting for the consent and approval of Piper's literary estate.

Vernacular has certainly changed since the sixties and will change again fifty years from now, but five-hundred years from now, I doubt English will even be recognizable compared to what it is today. Maybe some type of Mandarin-English hybrid (Chinglish probably), after the US defaults on the debt and China repossess the Country. It reminds me of reading Shakespeare in High-school and thinking to myself; What is this old English crap, Shakespeare is such a pikey. What the hell am I going on about, I'll shut-up.

message 7: by Wilde (new)

Wilde Sage | 11 comments Yeah, I noticed that too. I'm not done with it yet, but there's already been several references to technology that exists today, but would likely be surpasses by something far more advanced in the future, like "noise-cancelling in-ear headphones". In 500 years? Yeah, I'm sure.

It pulled me out of the story a bit, but maybe he's just trying not to fall into the common sci-fi trap of inventing sort of cliched, corny-sounding future-tech, like "neuro-buds" or something. lol

Oh also, who knew, Jack likes listening to audiobooks too!

message 8: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim (kskryptonian) | 202 comments I will defend DIAF, half-heartedly, by saying that I remember people saying that before the Internet made it big. But you probably never heard it.