FATTIES UNITE! discussion

Thread Graveyard > A Touch of Inspiration

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) | 557 comments Mod
Our newest member, Emily, is an another group with me and she posted the following paragraph the other day. I wanted to share it with y'all this morning (with her permission, of course)! Enjoy, my darlings!!!

The turning point for me was when I was studying for the bar exam, turned my head and saw myself in a full length mirror in my room. Without thinking about it, I went and turned the mirror around. Then I stopped and thought, I'm a successful, happy, strong woman. Why doesn't my body reflect that?! And why has it gotten to the point where I'm ashamed to even look at myself in the mirror?!

message 2: by Trudy (last edited Sep 25, 2008 09:17AM) (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) Wow... I can soooo feel that statement...

My issue has always been pictures... I have physically cringed seeing some that were taken of me recently. I look at them and think - when did I become that person? That does not look anything like how I see myself in my mind's eye... it is like I am looking at some other person but knowing it is me is disgusting.

My goal - to have a picture taken of me (and my man) where I recognize and like - no love - that person and have it match how I feel about myself.

message 3: by Amanda (new)

*sigh*
yeah...

message 4: by Emily (new)

Emily (ohmagichour) Thanks for posting, Amanda. I'm still working on pictures - seeing myself the way other people see me now. It's a struggle, but one I hope to win!

message 5: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) You will Emily... you have already come so far!!!

message 6: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) I so can relate. It has gotten to the point where I avoid mirrors and having pictures of me taken. When I get "tricked" into pictures I can't believe that is me. The time has come.

mary elizabeth  Williams hi, i wanted to share my turning point. i was at an awards ceremony for a program i worked for, and they had a powerpoint photo of me up on the movie theatre sized screen. i had to get up and stand in front of that photo on stage before a huge crowd of students and parents. i was at my largest weight then (after 2 months of eating dinning hall food). i often think about how i never want to do that again, and have since lost 25 pounds.

message 8: by Amanda (new)

Oh my god, Beth... What an amazing moment. I shall carry it with me today. Congrats!