Charlaine Harris Book/Show Group discussion

True Blood > true blood has been picked up for second season

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Richelle (new)

Richelle Robinson (sseashell1243) | 15 comments Two episodes and one ratings uptick into its first season, "True Blood" has earned a second year on HBO.

The network made the announcement Wednesday (Sept. 17), ten days after the series premiered to a middling 1.4 million viewers. HBO, however, notes that the ratings for the second episode improved to about 1.75 million viewers, and about 4 million people eventually watched the premiere over multiple airings and on demand.

"We are absolutely thrilled that the critics and our viewers have embraced 'True Blood,'" HBO boss Michael Lombardo says. "[Creator:] Alan Ball has done it again -- made an addictive series that is unlike any other."

Zap2it's 2008 Fall TV Preview
Based on the "Southern Vampire" series of novels by Charlaine Harris, "True Blood" is set in a world where vampires have come into the mainstream thanks to the invention of synthetic blood that meets their nutritional needs.

It stars Anna Paquin as Sookie Stackhouse, a small-town Louisiana waitress who can read people's thoughts, and Stephen Moyer as Bill Compton, a 173-year-old vampire who comes into her life. The series also features Rutina Wesley, Ryan Kwanten, Lois Smith, Sam Trammell and Nelsan Ellis.

Production on the second season will begin early next year for a summer 2009 premiere.

message 2: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte (mrs_foto) | 2 comments I'm glad it got picked up! I subscribed to HBO just so I could see the series and so far I've gotten my monies worth!

message 3: by Richelle (new)

Richelle Robinson (sseashell1243) | 15 comments Yes im so happy as well!! I finally have a new vamp show since buffy!

message 4: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nlojeda) | 471 comments Mod
Me too Charlotte! I'm enjoying HBO and glad I gave in and bought the access.

message 5: by Krista (new)

Krista (findyourshimmy) Ooh, goodie!

message 6: by alicia (new)

alicia grant (shesha34) Cool I just watched this OnDemand last night and was pleasantly surprised with it.I have also just started the first book.I love Vampire shows and was sad when they cancelled Moonlight on me.I just switched to getting HBO and Showtime so I can see this series and Dexter which I also love.You can tell Alan Ball is part of this show.I loved Six Feet Under.

message 7: by Angie (new)

Angie I am not subscribed so I go up to my aunt's house in Denver to watch every two weeks (she TIVO's it for me). It drives me nuts having to have to wait.

message 8: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 7 comments I'm resigned to awaiting the DVD set after this first season. I plan to have HBO for season two.

message 9: by Larissa (last edited Oct 15, 2008 09:48AM) (new)

Larissa Kathy- you can go watch the episodes online!

Unfortunately, they just removed the first 3 eps from the website.... but eps 4, 5 & 6 are still there!

www.hbo.trueblood.com then click on "watch."

message 10: by Angie (new)

Angie I think this website was pulled.... BUMMER!

message 11: by Larissa (new)

Larissa OOPS! completely typed that one wrong!!!
www.hbo.com/trueblood - then click on "watch" at the bottom.

And it looks like ALL of the episodes are working!!

SO SORRY!

message 12: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Wright (rhwright16) HBO only shows the "previously on True Blood" clips. They don't have the whole episode unfortunately. :-(

message 13: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (sandila) I'm so happy the are doing a second season. I just finished the 5th book last night and am starting the 6th. I'm now a new Charlaine Harris fan and picked up 3 of her Aurora Teagarden mystery novels. I also got the new Wolfsbane and Mistletoe collection with the Sookie Stackhouse story in it. I found out about it on the Charlaine Harris website. I'm trying to read the series and then I want to start on it. So many books.....LOL

And yes I subscribed to HBO just to see this series too. I'll be turning it off once True Blood is over.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I just finished book 7 and am waiting for book 8 to come in. What is the Wolfsbane and Mistletoe collection about? I haven't read any of Charlaine's other books. I just started reading the Sookie books a week before the show came out.

message 15: by Angie (new)

Angie Larissa that site is the preview for that episode not the whole episode. :( I was hoping it was going to be the whole episode.

message 16: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) Samantha, here is the synopsis of Wolfsbane and Mistletoe from Amazon.com:

New York Times bestselling authors Charlaine Harris, Patricia Briggs, Keri Arthur, and Carrie Vaughn—along with eleven other masters of the genre—offer all-new stories on werewolves and the holidays, a fresh variation on the concept that worked so well with birthdays and vampires in Many Bloody Returns.

The holidays can bring out the beast in anyone. They are particularly hard for lycanthropes. Charlaine Harris and Toni L. P. Kelner have harvested the scariest, funniest and saddest werewolf tales by an outstanding pack of authors, best read by the light of a full moon with a silver bullet close at hand.

Whether wolfing down a holiday feast (use your imagination) or craving some hair of the dog on New Year’s morning, the werewolves in these frighteningly original stories will surprise, delight, amuse, and scare the pants off readers who love a little wolfsbane with their mistletoe.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

hmm.... that sounds interesting. I think I might have to look into that book. my bookstore has a very limited selection on books so I usually have to special order them

message 18: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 7 comments Thanks, Larissa. I'm so excited. I may have to wait until tomorrow, as I have company coming tonight. I've read all of the books in the series, and I so want to watch Trueblood. I just can't thank you enough. Wow!!!!!

message 19: by Angie (new)

Angie Samantha they also did another anthology together called "Many Bloody Returns". I talk more about that down in the book section under that title... I thought it was good.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

I guess I am gunna have a list of books to special order now. lol.

message 21: by Stacy (new)

Stacy | 25 comments if you do a bit of googling or whatnot you are bound to find a website that shows the whole episodes. I found a website a week or so ago but I didn't save it or anything, but I know they are out there.

message 22: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Wright (rhwright16) www.watchtrueblood.net has full episodes

message 23: by Jess (new)

Jess | 116 comments I first watched the show True Blood and then discovered that it was based on the Charlaine Harris books. I have already finished all the books except for the last one and I LOVE THEM! I also love how the show is so closely related to the books. sometimes they butcher the books but I actually like the show just as much as I like the book. I'm excited that now True Blood is going to have another season!

message 24: by Angie (new)

Angie Thanks Becca! This is great for me!

message 25: by Jess (new)

Jess | 116 comments Hey Becca, when I went to that website and tried to watch the first episode it didn't work.. am i doing something wrong?

message 26: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Wright (rhwright16) I'm not sure...the most recent episode was the only one I tried and it worked fine. I don't know that it matters but I'm using Firefox instead of Internet Explorer. I'll check it out and see if I missed something.

message 27: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Wright (rhwright16) I'm sorry Jess, you are right. Ep. 1 isn't working. :-( That stinks. Episode 7 is all there but you don't want to start in the middle!

message 28: by Jess (new)

Jess | 116 comments yeah, i have missed the first 3 episodes, but have seen the rest. I know on Halloween night they are starting from episode 1 and playing them all in a row. so if anyone missed any episodes DVR it!

message 29: by Angie (new)

Angie I hope they keep the most recent episodes available on there. I don't have HBO and have been having some one else TIVO it for me!

message 30: by Angie (new)

Angie Right when I was going to start watching Tru Blood on that website the website is down so I am wondering if it got pulled.

message 31: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 193 comments I tried watching them online, but I found they kept getting pulled or had to tolerate slow buffering and chinese subtitles ROFL

I finally broke down and ordered HBO. DH & I are BOTH hooked (and dh hasn't read the books). Getting HBO meant I could go back and watch all the episodes I missed 'on demand' which was fantastic.

At first I didn't care for some of their casting choices, but, they've all grown on me.