Persephone Books discussion

Got library to order 4 persephone books

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 6 comments Just discovered Persephone Books after reading Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day. So impressed, that I told the local librarian who is now ordering 4 different titles. Yeah!

message 2: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenlibrarian13) | 26 comments Wonderful! Which titles did they order?

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 6 comments Saplings by Streatfeild
Home-Maker by Fisher
Mariana by Dickens
The Making of a Marchioness by Burnett

I'll soon be busy with good books to read!!

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura (digifish_books) | 41 comments Fantastic!

I moved states late last year and discovered that my new public library stocks a few PBs... 'Lady Rose and Mrs Memmary', 'Miss Buncle's Book', 'The Blank Wall' and 'Minnie's Room'. Maybe I should ask them to get some more in...? :)

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 6 comments Those titles seem like a nice diversity for a public library. The Blank Wall really intrigues me.

message 6: by Carol (new)

Carol Eshaghy | 16 comments Read SAPLINGS AND MARIANA. liked them both.

message 7: by Susan (new)

Susan | 166 comments The Homemaker is one of my favorites, didn't know it was a Peresphone (I've got an another edition), great pick. I liked Saplings too.

message 8: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenlibrarian13) | 26 comments I've read Mariana, Marchioness, and The Homemaker, and loved all of them. The Homemaker especially resonated with me. I've seen it for sale as a Persephone classic online but it looks like publication has been pushed back to October.

I have Saplings on the TBR shelf and will get to it someday!

message 9: by Gina (new)

Gina | 319 comments Mod
Sarah, that's great that your library ordered some Persephones! My library doesn't carry any of them, but you can suggest books for purchase, as long as they were published within the last year. Maybe I can do that for some of the newer ones they've published...
Susan--I really loved The Homemaker also...very funny, and surprisingly still relevant! We also read Saplings and Mariana several months ago in this group, and I think everyone enjoyed them.

message 10: by Gina (new)

Gina | 319 comments Mod
Sarah--have you heard the audio recording of Miss Pettigrew? It's read by Frances McDormand, and I downloaded it from itunes...it's fabulous!!

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 6 comments Gina wrote: "Sarah--have you heard the audio recording of Miss Pettigrew? It's read by Frances McDormand, and I downloaded it from itunes...it's fabulous!!"

I so loved this book. Was forlorn when I found there was no sequel. Didn't want to return the book. I really connected with Miss Pettigrew and didn't want it to end.

message 12: by Carol (new)

Carol Eshaghy | 16 comments Miss Pettigrew is a movie too!

message 13: by SarahC (new)

SarahC (sarahcarmack) | 114 comments Gina, thanks for telling us about the audio. I re-watch the movie sometimes and am just charmed by McDormand.

message 14: by Gina (new)

Gina | 319 comments Mod
Yes, I think she was a perfect choice for the part. I'm glad she recorded the audio book also... it was delightful!

message 15: by Tanya (new)

Tanya | 1 comments Hi! I wish to read Mariana (M.Dickens) but I don't find this one in my country. I live in Moscow. Please, help me.
I can read English and Russian books. may be anybody have e-book?

message 16: by Lalagonca (new)

Lalagonca Tanya wrote: "Hi! I wish to read Mariana (M.Dickens) but I don't find this one in my country. I live in Moscow. Please, help me.
I can read English and Russian books. may be anybody have e-book?"

Try http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/

Free shipping worldwide. I hope it helps you to find "Mariana" :)

message 17: by Laura (new)

Laura (digifish_books) | 41 comments Persephone Books have just launched 9 ebooks incl. 'Mariana' available for purchase from their site, .

http://www.persephonebooks.co.uk/page...